• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Thanks Uber, I had no Idea of What to Say

MHR

Sláinte agus táinte y’all
https://www.uber.com/blog/5-questions-to-ask-before-the-ride

Written in 2016 but they felt it was such good information they sent it to me today.
5 questions to ask before the ride
June 30, 2016 | US

First impressions are essential, and you can make a positive one with your rider by asking a few simple questions within the first few minutes of a ride. These questions are totally optional, but they’re likely to be appreciated because they’re an indication that you’re going the extra mile to make their ride a pleasant experience.

1. Do you have a preferred route?

Whether it’s the quickest route possible or taking the long way to admire the scenery, some riders may be very particular about the directions they want to take to their destination. Be sure to ask at the start of the ride if they have a preference, and set your GPS accordingly.

2. Is the temperature OK?

The rider will be more comfortable if they aren’t too hot or too cold. You can’t control the temperature outside the car, but you can make adjustments to your air conditioning and heat. Summer or winter, make sure you ask your rider if they’re agreeable to the climate in your car.

3. Would you like to listen to something specific?

If someone is dashing to a job interview, they’re likely to want to listen to different music than they would for a night out. Music can have an impact on the mood of any rider, so ask if they have a particular radio station or playlist that they’d like to hear or if they’d rather sit back and relax in silence. If you have an adaptor, you can let them control the music directly from their phone.

4. Would you like snacks, gum, or water?

While it’s certainly not mandatory to keep snacks, gum, and water in the car for riders, many drivers offer these to make the rider’s experience more convenient and pleasurable.

5. How are you today, ________ ?

Sure, some riders may be distracted by their overflowing email inbox and influx of text messages, but anyone will like the extra attention. If it’s clear that your rider would rather not chat, take the cue and end the conversation. Pro tip: people like hearing their own name, so try and slip it into the question when you ask how they are.

These questions can help you personalize the ride—and perhaps will help you score a coveted 5-star rating.

Cableguynoe

Written in 2016 but they felt it was such good information they sent it to me today.
June 30, 2016 | US

First impressions are essential, and you can make a positive one with your rider by asking a few simple questions within the first few minutes of a ride. These questions are totally optional, but they’re likely to be appreciated because they’re an indication that you’re going the extra mile to make their ride a pleasant experience.

Whether it’s the quickest route possible or taking the long way to admire the scenery, some riders may be very particular about the directions they want to take to their destination. Be sure to ask at the start of the ride if they have a preference, and set your GPS accordingly.

The rider will be more comfortable if they aren’t too hot or too cold. You can’t control the temperature outside the car, but you can make adjustments to your air conditioning and heat. Summer or winter, make sure you ask your rider if they’re agreeable to the climate in your car.

If someone is dashing to a job interview, they’re likely to want to listen to different music than they would for a night out. Music can have an impact on the mood of any rider, so ask if they have a particular radio station or playlist that they’d like to hear or if they’d rather sit back and relax in silence. If you have an adaptor, you can let them control the music directly from their phone.

While it’s certainly not mandatory to keep snacks, gum, and water in the car for riders, many drivers offer these to make the rider’s experience more convenient and pleasurable.

Sure, some riders may be distracted by their overflowing email inbox and influx of text messages, but anyone will like the extra attention. If it’s clear that your rider would rather not chat, take the cue and end the conversation. Pro tip: people like hearing their own name, so try and slip it into the question when you ask how they are.

These questions can help you personalize the ride—and perhaps will help you score a coveted 5-star rating.
I love #5. Would never had thought of that.

Funny how they say snacks aren't mandatory, but really this is their way of getting new drivers to do this.
Tons of new drivers right now are probably thinking this right after reading that list from Uber :
"duh, no wonder I haven't been getting tips!"

kdyrpr

[Moderator note: Two threads were merged, which were started about this subject at around the same time. This was the first post in the other thread. - reg barclay]

This is one of 5 questions UBER has determined we should ask our passengers when they enter our vehicles. I know this because of the email they sent me (and I assume most everyone else).

Here's the list:

1: Do you have a preferred route? I ask this question only if I determine it to be relevant.
2: Is the temperature OK? If it's OK for me.....I'm sure it's Ok with you. If not...let me know.
3: Would you like to listen to something specific? NOT! I have my music. Which I enjoy. Comfortable volume. If a pax specifically asks me for a certain type of genre....fine. I have no problem putting on a station you request.

4: SEE TITLE OF THIS THREAD Do I have to respond?
5: How are you today (insert name of passenger) ? Ok, 1 out 5.

I have determined that UBER is trolling us. Can you imagine the person sitting at their desk when he proposes this email go out? Are you telling me that person isn't snickering and laughing as he thinks of this? Are they that naïve??

I swear UBER/LYFT send these out just to bust balls...…..has to be!

AllGold

If they answer "no thanks" then it's all good.

If they answer "yes" then I would respond with "Too bad -- I don't have any."

As MHR said, thanks Uber.

many drivers offer these to make the rider’s experience more convenient and pleasurable.

Pleasurable, I suppose, but convenient? GTFO. Convenient is me picking them up at at their door and dropping them off at the door of their destination. And I get paid 1979 taxi rates for to give them that convenience.

steveK2016

While I think asking any of these questions except for #5 is dumb, sometimes its hard to judge the proper temperature when you've equalized in the temp of your car. I agree though that the pax needs to speak up if something is uncomfortable.

Steve_TX

I don't offer #3 or #4.

#3 - I don't offer because its my car - my music. We all learned that key rule as kids with our parents, older siblings, friends. I play varied music from the 60s through today, w/o explicit lyrics and at volume we can still talk over. Besides most of my pax are out of my car within 2-3 songs? After almost 2k rides, I have never received a music complaint, but I rec'd many music compliments and a couple of 'Awesome Music' badges.

#4 - I don't offer unless I am supplied with water, gum, snacks, etc. by Uber or Lyft. I'm not buying them for pax with my own money. They don't cost much, but I'm also not getting paid much. So that's how that story goes. Besides I did an experiment over three months and I saw no appreciable increase in tips and my ratings remained the same. I know some pax think U/L gives us water for pax.

Last edited:

Ribak

This is one of 5 questions UBER has determined we should ask our passengers when they enter our vehicles. I know this because of the email they sent me (and I assume most everyone else).

Here's the list:

1: Do you have a preferred route? I ask this question only if I determine it to be relevant.
2: Is the temperature OK? If it's OK for me.....I'm sure it's Ok with you. If not...let me know.
3: Would you like to listen to something specific? NOT! I have my music. Which I enjoy. Comfortable volume. If a pax specifically asks me for a certain type of genre....fine. I have no problem putting on a station you request.

4: SEE TITLE OF THIS THREAD Do I have to respond?
5: How are you today (insert name of passenger) ? Ok, 1 out 5.

I have determined that UBER is trolling us. Can you imagine the person sitting at their desk when he proposes this email go out? Are you telling me that person isn't snickering and laughing as he thinks of this? Are they that naïve??

I swear UBER/LYFT send these out just to bust balls...…..has to be!
1) Preffered Route: I ask this on occasion....depending on Pax, Destination & Traffic conditions.

2) Temperature: I rarely ask this, Moreso in Summer rather than Winter.

3) Music: Never asked

4) Snacks: LOL. Yeah right....

5) Greeting and Salutations:Always

RDWRER

I don't offer #3 or #4.

#3 - I don't offer because its my car - my music. We all learned that key rule as kids with our parents, older siblings, friends. I play varied music from the 60s through today, w/o explicit lyrics and at volume we can still talk over. Besides most of my pax are out of my car within 2-3 songs? After almost 2k rides, I have never received a music complaint, but I rec'd many music compliments and a couple of 'Awesome Music' badges.
I’ve gotten three or four complaints without any input from the pax that they ever wanted the music off or changed and one time from an idiot on a pool ride with other passengers who tried to unplug my phone so he could plug in his to play rock and roll. I told him no sir and politely explained to him that Uber does allow him to take control of the music through the app on an UberX ride or above, but not on a pool ride. Naturally I got a 1 star from that moron and he got one from me. :mad:

I’ve gotten three or four complaints without any input from the pax that they ever wanted the music off or changed and one time from an idiot on a pool ride with other passengers who tried to unplug my phone so he could plug in his to play rock and roll. I told him no sir and politely explained to him that Uber does allow him to take control of the music through the app on an UberX ride or above, but not on a pool ride. Naturally I got a 1 star from that moron and he got one from me. :mad:
Oh, too bad you'll never get to give him a ride again. :smiles:

reg barclay

June 30, 2016 | US

The only one I always do is 5. Sometimes I'll do 2, like if it's very hot or cold outside. On the odd occasion I'll do 1, like if there are two major routes or something.

I don't know about other places, but IMO, where I drive, asking all of them every time would appear cheesy and possibly annoying, and might even result in lower ratings

Ribak

June 30, 2016 | US

No need for you to provide snacks. The pax are treated to eye candy with you as the driver :smiles:

jgiun1

I always do #5..... But depending on ride miles and time, I'll ask a couple more like radio and temp.

I figured how many bus drivers ask all that and I'm basically taking home a bus ride wage for dumpy short minimum rides.

Ribak

I always do #5..... But depending on ride miles and time, I'll ask a couple more like radio and temp.

I figured how many bus drivers ask all that and I'm basically taking home a bus ride wage for dumpy short minimum rides.
How has the radio question worked for you? Do you ask it both at day and night? For me, I fear an inappropriate song coming on.

jgiun1

How has the radio question worked for you? Do you ask it both at day and night? For me, I fear an inappropriate song coming on.
I work 98% nights....sometimes might go to early morning if busy and banking nice rides. That only seems to happen on weekends because earlier flights and no rush hour traffic.

It works out good.....most people always picked 44 and rap channels. I had a couple for 38 Ozzie (my station between rides along with my favorite summer one, channel 70,..with that cocky guy voice saying "yacht rock"...good mellow rock tunes)

Young people seem to like hits #2 and sing the songs, sometimes ask to turn up songs. When I get older people, I switch to 32 the Bridge upon pick-up.

Last edited: