Thanks Fasten

Ziggy

Z-trip is still around, only the Taxis (Yellow Cab) can afford their weekly charge.
You forgot ScoopMe.
I should have clarified - Z-Trip rideshare is dead. Thanks for the ScoopMe reference, I threw away their trade dress last week and I had the hardest time telling another driver what company that weird red logo was for, even though ScoopMe didn't even create their own logo they used the logo from the app they bought to run their biz.

Recoup

Z-trip is still around, only the Taxis (Yellow Cab) can afford their weekly charge.
You forgot ScoopMe.

The Ride Austin folks are obviously hopeful. They expect to capture a bulk of the Fasten rides. I have heard that Fasten was losing money per ride and I assume that their primary backer ($15m in additional funding last year) lost patience.

I picked up two former Fasten riders while running R|A yesterday. Also got several riders from SXSWedu (the conference that everyone forgets).

UberBeamer

Sayonara Fasten...:frown:

9A52C47E-2E60-491F-8B8C-455D45796E2B.png

ATXFALCON

I did $300 a week in fasten during ACL and averaged $50 to $150 a week with them. Sucks they left, I would ld rather wait a week to get paid rather than give uber 50% or more. Plenty of times I did $70 fasten rides and kept $69 of it.

Yankee

Screw Fasten. Despite the superior rates, I dumped them after a solid year of driving, finishing with around a 4.8. With a rating like that you'd think it was a lovefest. Instead, several times I got unprofessional texts from "support" that read like a 10th grader passing along gossip, calling it "feedback". 3 times over the year pax put in petty ass complaints, and Fasten used that as excuse to lock me out and force me to come down to the office to sit in the principles office and explain myself. Beyond that, they were as bad as Uber with regard to the ol' carrot on a stick, posting up massive boost zones and then giving me nothing or sending me out of the zone for zero boost. The problem with all these ride share companies is
#1 they ALL think the pax are their customers, which is a profound misfire. WE the drivers are their customers, as per the nature of the business. That's why they screw us by over-boarding all the time. If they want to regard the pax as the customers, then they need to start calling themselves a "transportation" company and earn the right to treat us as employees. #2 I don't think I've ever met a rideshare admin that had any leadership training or experience working with employees. The majority of them are young teckies in the begining of their careers, and have no real experience managing people. Naturally, they keep dying off. Its the Rideshare Hunger Games.

TNCMinWage

Screw Fasten. Despite the superior rates, I dumped them after a solid year of driving, finishing with around a 4.8. With a rating like that you'd think it was a lovefest. Instead, several times I got unprofessional texts from "support" that read like a 10th grader passing along gossip, calling it "feedback". 3 times over the year pax put in petty ass complaints, and Fasten used that as excuse to lock me out and force me to come down to the office to sit in the principles office and explain myself. Beyond that, they were as bad as Uber with regard to the ol' carrot on a stick, posting up massive boost zones and then giving me nothing or sending me out of the zone for zero boost. The problem with all these ride share companies is
#1 they ALL think the pax are their customers, which is a profound misfire. WE the drivers are their customers, as per the nature of the business. That's why they screw us by over-boarding all the time. If they want to regard the pax as the customers, then they need to start calling themselves a "transportation" company and earn the right to treat us as employees. #2 I don't think I've ever met a rideshare admin that had any leadership training or experience working with employees. The majority of them are young teckies in the begining of their careers, and have no real experience managing people. Naturally, they keep dying off. Its the Rideshare Hunger Games.
Yankee- Uber and Lyft hire the exact same morons to work for them. They deliver as pathetic support and service. The only difference between them and Fasten is that they take 20-25% more out of your pocket to deal with their incompetent idiot employees.

Jay Dean

I am not sure where you got the idea that Austin is now not a millennial tech driven town, that's like me saying I want to go up north (pretty much anywhere) and ask why people aren't nice to each other in general, or hold the door open for others with no profit to gain and get looked at sideways for it. I have to agree with you that it is ran by young minded people but why are you in an environment around tech if you cannot adapt, I have room to talk here because I grew up in Austin and this town, my home was the easiest place in US to get by as a town/city, laid back and no stress, and over time it has become a millennial tech town and surrounded by opinionated jerks from north of Denton (why I do not know), I adapted and am just fine with the awesome town that was created by techies as a result, but still have to listen to whiny northerners complain when they should of stayed where they were (and on top of that have to hear why they wished they stayed), lol these guys at least tried to apply less stress for the working driver and you want to come from elsewhere and try and say how people should act and that they are just as bad as Uber and Lyft? What would you of done different? And If so how would it relate to Austin in 2018? You're funds and you're attitude would have you out of business in a NY minute. Thanks for imput and would love to hear you're business ideas since these guys did such a bad job.

Last edited:

Yankee

I am not sure where you got the idea that Austin is now not a millennial tech driven town, that's like me saying I want to go up north (pretty much anywhere) and ask why people aren't nice to each other in general, or hold the door open for others with no profit to gain and get looked at sideways for it. I have to agree with you that it is ran by young minded people but why are you in an environment around tech if you cannot adapt, I have room to talk here because I grew up in Austin and this town, my home was the easiest place in US to get by as a town/city, laid back and no stress, and over time it has become a millennial tech town and surrounded by opinionated jerks from north of Denton (why I do not know), I adapted and am just fine with the awesome town that was created by techies as a result, but still have to listen to whiny northerners complain when they should of stayed where they were (and on top of that have to hear why they wished they stayed), lol these guys at least tried to apply less stress for the working driver and you want to come from elsewhere and try and say how people should act and that they are just as bad as Uber and Lyft? What would you of done different? And If so how would it relate to Austin in 2018? You're funds and you're attitude would have you out of business in a NY minute. Thanks for imput and would love to hear you're business ideas since these guys did such a bad job.

Hey Jay. go @@@@ yourself. How about that? Telling you to @@@@ off is worth getting booted from this forum.

Hey Jay. go &%[email protected]!* yourself. How about that? Telling you to &%[email protected]!* off is worth getting booted from this forum.

Easy to talk shit when you're sitting behind your computer, eh? Big tough guy. Lets see what a tough guy you are in person. Yeah, I thought so.

Jay Dean

Hey Jay. go &%[email protected]!* yourself. How about that? Telling you to &%[email protected]!* off is worth getting booted from this forum.

Easy to talk shit when you're sitting behind your computer, eh? Big tough guy. Lets see what a tough guy you are in person.

So fasten had no reason to question your ability to drive people...? Makes sense, yeah I am not here to fight, not really my thing, I drive people around to make bills, but thanks. I can turn you on to some UFC friends if that is your thing?

Jay Dean

Why does it always have to be someone not from here that turns a thankful thread into something stupid? Thank you internet.

johnmarston

I'm 'glad' I guess that Fasten and Ride Austin were here when Uber/Lyft weren't. But I made more money driving with Uber (especially) in 2016 than any others; and in the end that's 90% of what I care about with rideshare driving. Uber has/had alot of issues but I like knowing what you're going to make on a fare unlike the guessing games with Lyft and some of the BS with Fasten. Ride Austin surge is just way too low. I'd rather have Uber take a bigger cut but make more in the end. This said- since summer of 2016 I only would drive during high surge events; not an everyday driver so my experience is different.

For whatever reason I always seemed to do better with customer behavior with Uber compared to Lyft/Ride Austin/Fasten whether it was less cancellations or behavior in the car.

Fasten and Ride Austin crashed so many important times- halloween 2016, NYE 2017, SX 2017

I've only had poor interactions with customer service from Fasten and Ride Austin. Put on top of that their constant condescending (and inaccurate in my opinion) takes on how they are the saviors of ride sharing, and its a bit too much for me. They're just another company, an inferior one, acting like they are an altruistic organization. Add on top of that the lies and failed promises they made to serve disabled passengers- which affected a few people I know.

ATXFALCON

I've heard of that, and I did get a text once saying I had a strange conversation with a pax wtf? All because this lady was @@@@@ing about drivers not picking her up, amd I said a lot of them don'tt speak English. Liberal @@@@ starts telling me how that doesn't matter to her.

Yankee- Uber and Lyft hire the exact same morons to work for them. They deliver as pathetic support and service. The only difference between them and Fasten is that they take 20-25% more out of your pocket to deal with their incompetent idiot employees.

Wal-Mart is Wal-Mart fellas. Ive been doing this since it started, and haven't talked to anyone in person. I have @@@@@ed all of them out, beg for cancel fee now and then. Fasten was okay but they never seriously thought about competing with uber and lyft. I just took their fares so it was less to money for lyft.

TNCMinWage

I'm 'glad' I guess that Fasten and Ride Austin were here when Uber/Lyft weren't. But I made more money driving with Uber (especially) in 2016 than any others; and in the end that's 90% of what I care about with rideshare driving. Uber has/had alot of issues but I like knowing what you're going to make on a fare unlike the guessing games with Lyft and some of the BS with Fasten. Ride Austin surge is just way too low. I'd rather have Uber take a bigger cut but make more in the end. This said- since summer of 2016 I only would drive during high surge events; not an everyday driver so my experience is different.

For whatever reason I always seemed to do better with customer behavior with Uber compared to Lyft/Ride Austin/Fasten whether it was less cancellations or behavior in the car.

Fasten and Ride Austin crashed so many important times- halloween 2016, NYE 2017, SX 2017

I've only had poor interactions with customer service from Fasten and Ride Austin. Put on top of that their constant condescending (and inaccurate in my opinion) takes on how they are the saviors of ride sharing, and its a bit too much for me. They're just another company, an inferior one, acting like they are an altruistic organization. Add on top of that the lies and failed promises they made to serve disabled passengers- which affected a few people I know.

RA doesn’t need to surge as high as U/L because they only take a $1. If you run the numbers, other than some exceptions, you will find that you met more money with RA. And 2106 is a very different than what ridesharing is now so you can’t use it for comparison as there was no saturation of drivers.
But do what you wish and maybe since you only drive on occasion your strategy makes sense. I saw a text from RA last night that they needed more drivers and demand was very high. Why some of you don’t drive for them makes no sense. But I no longer care - I just like to chime in from time to time and watch everyone wither and complain because they lacked the foresight, effort and grit to support RA/F and play the long game, which could’ve resulted in a better ridesharing experience and more money for everyone. Good luck.

johnmarston

RA doesn’t need to surge as high as U/L because they only take a $1. If you run the numbers, other than some exceptions, you will find that you met more money with RA. And 2106 is a very different than what ridesharing is now so you can’t use it for comparison as there was no saturation of drivers.
But do what you wish and maybe since you only drive on occasion your strategy makes sense. I saw a text from RA last night that they needed more drivers and demand was very high. Why some of you don’t drive for them makes no sense. But I no longer care - I just like to chime in from time to time and watch everyone wither and complain because they lacked the foresight, effort and grit to support RA/F and play the long game, which could’ve resulted in a better ridesharing experience and more money for everyone. Good luck.

I understand it doesn't need to surge as high. But Uber at 3-6X or higher is much better than Ride Austin at 1-1.5x. I did alright at times with Ride Austin during SX 2017- when it would surge from 2-4X. But that happened rarely, and it hasn't happened at all this year. My main issue was their app crashing at the worst times, the terrible driver support I experienced, and their hypocrisy when it came to serving disabled riders. They have been sending those spam notifications out about needing drivers multiple times a day this week- I'll go on the app and there may be a 1.1X-1.2X surge. What a joke.

I've never liked Ride Austin's attitude- they are not a charitable organization- stop masking yourself as one. Their customer support was always poor if not nonexistent. They are worried about asinine driver regulations while not worrying about serving disabled passengers- and still one of their drivers sexually assaulted a woman.

I'd rather have just RA instead of Uber and Lyft if the money was good enough, but it isn't; but it doesn't seem like it will be good with anyone now with too many drivers. The ship has sailed. Uber has ticked me off having drivers from other cities come for SX.

In the end, drivers ruined the ridesharing industry. I had friends start back pre 2014 when it was really good. 2015-2016 was good for me. Too many drivers tried to make this a full time job; whined for benefits, etc, and too many drivers came on. This was always good as a way to supplement income or be a full time job for a temporary period. Too many drivers are driving too many hours. If everyone had found their niche it would be better. Back in 2015 it was very strict what kind of car you can drive- now anyone can drive pretty much any crappy car. The only thing driver should have fought for is higher rates or minimum surges (especially in busy areas/busy times of the day).

Again, I don't ever have to give another ride. I'm very fortunate to be in a good spot now and am glad that driving was still good early 2016 when I had to drive full time. I feel bad for drivers who are in a situation where they need to rely on driving full time and have to really grind it out.

TNCMinWage

I understand it doesn't need to surge as high. But Uber at 3-6X or higher is much better than Ride Austin at 1-1.5x. I did alright at times with Ride Austin during SX 2017- when it would surge from 2-4X. But that happened rarely, and it hasn't happened at all this year. My main issue was their app crashing at the worst times, the terrible driver support I experienced, and their hypocrisy when it came to serving disabled riders. They have been sending those spam notifications out about needing drivers multiple times a day this week- I'll go on the app and there may be a 1.1X-1.2X surge. What a joke.

I've never liked Ride Austin's attitude- they are not a charitable organization- stop masking yourself as one. Their customer support was always poor if not nonexistent. They are worried about asinine driver regulations while not worrying about serving disabled passengers- and still one of their drivers sexually assaulted a woman.

I'd rather have just RA instead of Uber and Lyft if the money was good enough, but it isn't; but it doesn't seem like it will be good with anyone now with too many drivers. The ship has sailed. Uber has ticked me off having drivers from other cities come for SX.

In the end, drivers ruined the ridesharing industry. I had friends start back pre 2014 when it was really good. 2015-2016 was good for me. Too many drivers tried to make this a full time job; whined for benefits, etc, and too many drivers came on. This was always good as a way to supplement income or be a full time job for a temporary period. Too many drivers are driving too many hours. If everyone had found their niche it would be better. Back in 2015 it was very strict what kind of car you can drive- now anyone can drive pretty much any crappy car. The only thing driver should have fought for is higher rates or minimum surges (especially in busy areas/busy times of the day).

Again, I don't ever have to give another ride. I'm very fortunate to be in a good spot now and am glad that driving was still good early 2016 when I had to drive full time. I feel bad for drivers who are in a situation where they need to rely on driving full time and have to really grind it out.
I hear you. Yes a 1.5 RA not as good as a 3x Uber. I guess I’m talking more about the other days of the week when all prices are consistent. That’s when RA clearly a better option. Back when I drove I would often forego higher UL rates for lower RA rates during peak times-just to support riders who relied on RA. Otherwise those people would convert to Uber for good, and ultimately that would mean less money driving for Uber more often.
But like you said, drivers still ruined the gig. I do believe that if everyone had spent the effort on educating pax to use RA (or Fasten until recently), things might have been different. But everyone seemed to be fine with crawling out of the wood work and driver for U/L for less money, and not realizing they could influence a pax choice of which rideshare they should use. So ultimately, those drivers deserved what was coming to them and what ridesharing in Austin has become. Drivers in other cities would’ve done anything to support something like RA. But here - drivers missed the boat and most are just too dumb or lazy.
As far as bad support from RA - I took that in stride - I was ok with delayed service response in return for making more money. They have a light budget to keep things runnng.
Anyway, I don’t have to drive either and haven’t given a ride in a few months. I’m just interested in seeing things progress. My last several months of driving (when I needed to) were very painful due to watching U/L return. I fought it hard and did my part but got frustrated that others gave up so quickly. And all the others who didn’t even have a clue about RA/F were just so annoying to see come on the scene.
But mostly I don’t care anymore. I still support RA drivers by only using them for rides. And I’m happy to wait extra time in order to get one of their drivers. I don’t know why I bother since most drivers don’t seem to care - but I know there are still some out there who felt like I did while driving so I try and support them whenever I can.

shalein

It was weird that Fasten used to call drivers after blocking them. While they were the first ones to lower the rates post U/L gap; their expectation was huge with the kind of car i m driving. On a complaint from a customer, they asked me to bring my van..and the guy started noting small dents and old color as the reason of rejection. Funny was he took it as personal for disappointment. He was trying to make personally Fasten a world class company.
Ridesharing is no longer about revenue..its about costs only ...and unfortunately it is often coupled with quality compromises...an experience I am passing to riders as well by driving very old car, not cleaning it properly and not offering any water or soda...it is self understood ....

Recoup

Ridesharing is no longer about revenue..its about costs only ...and unfortunately it is often coupled with quality compromises...an experience I am passing to riders as well by driving very old car, not cleaning it properly and not offering any water or soda...it is self understood ....

Yeah... you're exactly the kind of driver that led the race to the bottom.

It's a useless distraction to argue about whether Uber at 3.14159X surge is better than RA at 1.61803X, or whatever. Which company treats me better? Whose passengers tip better? With whom do I heave the best income-to-blood-pressure ratio? If you don't know the correct answer to those questions, well then, Uber on, I guess.

Example: Against my better judgment, I took a ping yesterday from the heart of the street-closure zone downtown. It was less than a mile away but it took me over 20 minutes just to get to them. While we were driving to ABIA, they shared a few choice stories of their experiences with other Austin TNCs (they were female POC). Tipped me $50. So, yeah. Quality over quantity for me...