1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Thank God for Dash Cam and always keep it on...

Discussion in 'Stories' started by AlasKador, Nov 29, 2018.

1. AlasKador

AlasKador

Driving 2am three weeks ago on my way home after a fun filled night of ubering.
    Cop stopped me and told me I was doing erratic driving.
    Going from left lane to right and back, repeatedly
    Wrote me a ticket for Improper Lane Usage.
    I protested of course, to no avail.

I watched and reviewed the footage of my driving, before, during and even after he stopped me.
    And I just cant seem to find my alleged infraction.

During my court appearance today, the judge asked me how I plead.
    Of course, not guilty.
    The officer who wrote me the ticket was present and the judge set a bench trial in an hour.
    While I was waiting, the county prosecutor set me aside and explained the consequences if I am found guilty. He said it will be very difficult to contest my case and most likely cost me more than just pleading guilty.Up to $700 in court fines. I said, I still wish to proceed with the trial.
    He asked why I am so confident. I told him I have the footage of the entire incident to show the court.
    He then talked to the officer who wrote the ticket.

The prosecutor then went back to me and said that the officer "suddenly need to be somewhere" and can not stay for the bench trial. He said the officer dropped the charge and the judge then dismissed my case.

I told them that I will file a complaint to the police dept. for this officer totally wasted my time and gas. I could have been working today...

ALWAYS..... keep that dash cam on, to record everything.

crowuber, cdm813, New2This and 23 others like this.
  2. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Justice!! Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Last year i was able to stare down a ticket with my dash cam. Trooper said i failed to signal a lane change. I looked him in the eye, and very calmly said, sir, you have a camera. I have a camera. I am 100% certain that wont stand in court. Suddenly, he said, like i said, your window tint is too dark... i left with a warning.

3. Typical cop. Glad you're home free now.

DustyChode and MoreTips like this.
  4. MoreTips

MoreTips

Thanks for sharing, got to have a working dash cam to do this job for more than just one reason.

5. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    Lessons to be learned here ants.....Always Be Dashcamming...

Pax Collector likes this.
  6. RDWRER

RDWRER

Driving:
    UberX
    Where the hell do you live where you have a trial 1 hour after arraignment!?

7. Uberlife2

Uberlife2

Everyone corrupted these days including the judge.

8. AlasKador

AlasKador

Western suburbs of Chicago.... Not quite hell, but pretty close.

Pax Collector likes this.
  9. And this is why people should hate road pirates, overreaching government and the myriads of unnecessary traffic laws.

10. JustTreatMeFair

JustTreatMeFair

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    AND cops that are tasked to show up at what is usually a hearing that results in a plea and defensive driving?

11. I wouldn't have filed the complaint. Keep your head down and move on-- it's best to blend in with the rest of the herd.

If cops have proven anything, it's that they're petty and vindictive children when challenged.

Christinebitg likes this.
  12. The law our OP allegedly broke wasn't unnecessary, rather, the tool that was enforcing it was crooked.

13. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    I agree. Take your win and move on.

Don't tug on Superman's cape, as the song went.

CarpeNoctem and New2This like this.
  14. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    What is Superman by REM

15. Guty

Guty

I also have a dashcam and sometimes forget to have it on. Have not had a need to use it but seeing your post assures me to never forget to have it on. GREAT JOB!

16. tc49821

tc49821

It's amazing how much their demeanor changes when they are filmed. I see why it's not worth it to complain. If more people complained and it went to the news . Maybe they would cut back on this crap . Scumbag cops they just lie out and no consequence.

Merc7186 likes this.
  17. CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Driving:
    UberXL