• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

TGFRA (Thank God for RideAustin)

Ziggy

Thank God for RideAustin!
If you're not already promoting RA to all your U/L pax you need to start now!

Uber multiplier surge is dead - drivers only get a "commission" ($ add-on) based on the multiplier (x) that Uber charged pax.

Lyft primetime will be dead soon - as soon as "Personal Power Zones" arrive in Austin, say goodbye to the primetime multiplier (x) ... because just like Uber, Lyft drivers will only get a "commission" based on the PT multiplier (x) that Lyft charged pax.

AustinAD99

Yeah,
Had a ride out to Steiner Ranch from DT lastnight.
Lyft skimmed an additional ~$6 off the top after service fee and their 20% take.

Gave a ride to Apple this morning and made a RA convert...told him how L/U are scamming riders and cheating drivers.
Pax have no clue.

Ziggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Smart drivers will use their U/L rides to pitch RA to pax.

Bottom line - Uber Surge & Lyft Primetime are just fancy terms for "greedy companies overcharging pax" ... and throwing a small commission to the service provider (driver).

AustinAggie

Am I correct that surge is now a lump sum for drivers? I like how Uber is selling this as a benefit to drivers.

Ziggy

Am I correct that surge is now a lump sum for drivers? I like how Uber is selling this as a benefit to drivers.
Yes it’s a limp sum (lump is too big, hence limp). Apparently drivers complained that surge disappeared too quickly; so this gave Uber an opportunity to change the app and driver “compensation” (or lack there of).

TNCTopher

I sent the details of the flat fee surge to RA. They are aware. The good news is that it appears that RA is using the rider app to track and mirror the multiplier amounts. I saw a couple of examples this weekend where RA drivers saw some ok rides that included healthy multipliers. I give rides to a couple of their higher ups and there are no signs of them folding up their tent.

The free market is is only free when there is enough information. We owe it to the pax to inform them of the options and how each app is conducting their business. People are willing to pay a price and drivers deserve to get a fair amount of the fare.

Ziggy

Apparently Lyft drivers renting cars from Lyft are already getting the Flat Rate Surge from Lyft

AustinAD99

Apparently Lyft drivers renting cars from Lyft are already getting the Flat Rate Surge from Lyft
Not a surprise as they're already indentured servants of Lyfts.
I'm 17 rides away from 'Platinum' -been working it to get that $.50 gas discount - just got a heads up that the discount ends in Aug. But they keep flogging it out there as a Platinum reward if I were to reach my 600th ride in three months. What a load of bs that they pull the carrot right as I'm about to get a nibble. Should go to the hub and complain but takes all my might to not loose it with those guys.

'Converted' a nice old lady down the street from me to RA this morning.
Dropped her off at the doctors via Lyft, picked her up from the doctors via RA direct connect.
Converted a few more today, or at least got them to restart using RA.

BTW has anyone heard of drivers getting in trouble with L/U for pushing other RS?

Ziggy

BTW has anyone heard of drivers getting in trouble with L/U for pushing other RS?
Nope ... but you probably don't want to be too over the top with your promoting ... I just tell most people that they might want to add RA into their quiver if they get stuck as some drivers only drive for RA. The only people I give my DC # to is pax that I want as directs ... which is less than 10% of all pax :wink: *speaking of which, on my way to pick up DC now

Steve_TX

I'm 17 rides away from 'Platinum' -been working it to get that $.50 gas discount - just got a heads up that the discount ends in Aug. But they keep flogging it out there as a Platinum reward if I were to reach my 600th ride in three months. What a load of bs that they pull the carrot right as I'm about to get a nibble.
Fear not my faithful, fellow indentured U/L servant. You'll still get your Fuel Rewards after Septmber 1
  • Platinum: $0.50 now --> $0.07 after Sept. 1
  • Gold: $0.25 now --> $0.05 after Sept. 1
  • Silver: $0.10 now --> $0.05 after Sept. 1

I just made Gold status, Yay!, I've now got a whopping 3 days to enjoy my $0.25 savings, then it's back to $0.05 until next June.

Don't get me wrong, I am not ungrateful, I certainly appreciate the savings, any savings. Especially appreciated since I have low priced Shell stations near both my home and office. But it sure would be nice to keep the higher savings going. At least it helped with the inflated prices of summer and the summer slow down.

Last edited:

Steve_TX

In the summer, that Platinum $0.50 per gallon discount is rather sweet. The rest of the year, eh.

AustinAD99

Yeah, quite the FU having reached Plat level only a few days to go.
Going to get friends and neighbors to fill up on it before the 31st.
Such BS. AND I'm not even sure the Platinum status will make it thru to Shells reward system before then.

Went to the HUB and was told such with a big ol shoulder shrug and 'It's not our fault, but Shells'
Asked about why I wasn't seeing the estimated ride length prior to picking up ride and was told 'it would take a week or so before I'd see it' - WTF.

Wish we could get RA to cull the non-DC deadwood (thought we all where supposed to do that?) and have a core driver base that knows the city inside and out...

Ziggy

Wish we could get RA to cull the non-DC deadwood (thought we all where supposed to do that?) and have a core driver base that knows the city inside and out...
Post that suggestion on the RA Driver FB page

AustinAD99

Post that suggestion on the RA Driver FB page
Go ahead and post it...I don't do FB.

They could have x slots available in different areas for max coverage with rides being doled out to the drivers in that area on a rotating bases.

Also would be nice for DC requests to be obviously different from standard requests, plus an option for notifying you if you're offline.

backstreets-trans

Thank God for RideAustin!
If you're not already promoting RA to all your U/L pax you need to start now!

Uber multiplier surge is dead - drivers only get a "commission" ($ add-on) based on the multiplier (x) that Uber charged pax.

Lyft primetime will be dead soon - as soon as "Personal Power Zones" arrive in Austin, say goodbye to the primetime multiplier (x) ... because just like Uber, Lyft drivers will only get a "commission" based on the PT multiplier (x) that Lyft charged pax.
I've been rooting for you guys since uber/lyft ran out of Austin. A local rideshare coop is the best way to fight back against these greedy silicon valley scumbags. In Phoenix we have the new add on surge and it's just a license for Uber to steal our surge money. Most of the time now Uber is taking close to 40% of our airport trips.

It gets really depressing when you see a fare detail where you make $10 that included a $3 surge when Uber charged $22. Uber does at time increase the flat surge add on for long trips. You think great I made $50 on this trip then you find out Uber charged $90.

Bravo for you guys for fighting back. Good Luck.

Ziggy

Not sure what the point of platinum status is anymore.
The real point of Platinum status was knowing how long each trip was before you accepted it, to me that was far more valuable than the 50¢ Shell discount. Though since I rarely take regular and never take shared, the likelihood of me getting 600 rides in 3 months in this over-saturated market is non-existent ... I have a better chance of hitting TX Lotto grand prize.

AustinAD99

I'm still waiting for the app to show me the trip length prior to accepting it.
Talked to the guys at the hub and via the phone with them saying it might take a week to kick in.
WTF, a week to kick in on a monthly benny? Thanks Lyft.

Finally got my $.50/gal off to work so that's something.

One bonus of taking the lyftlines is if you mess up and take a longer route you can see how little Lyft makes as they have to pay for the driver for the miles/time on the trip. Not the drivers fault if they don't estimate enough to cover a drivers better route.

Uber_Dubler

" One bonus of taking the lyftlines is if you mess up and take a longer route you can see how little Lyft makes as they have to pay for the driver for the miles/time on the trip. Not the drivers fault if they don't estimate enough to cover a drivers better route. "

I'm sure at somepoint U/L with put that factor into their algorithms. They may be cheap but they ain't stupid.