Texting and Drive.

KGB7

Disclaimer; Texting and driving is illegal, you will get in an accident, hurt yourself and others.

Many of you will continue to text and drive even though you shouldn't. So if you continue to do so, here is my advice.
Use Voice to text option. Speak what you want to say and click send. Speak clearly, enunciate every word at a medium speed into your phone from 1-3 inches away from your face and hit send.
It will take a bit of practise for some, to get some of the words recognised by the software, but its 99% accurate.

I prefer that you pull over and stop to txt or post on forums. But, i know you are stubborn and you think you know better. The Voice to Text option is available on the cell phone, just look for Mic icon on the keyboard.

Hit the Mic icon and start speaking. Just dont do it while pax is in the car.

Stay safe.

ReviTULize

Disclaimer; Texting and driving is illegal, you will get in an accident, hurt yourself and others.

Many of you will continue to text and drive even though you shouldn't. So if you continue to do so, here is my advice.
Use Voice to text option. Speak what you want to say and click send. Speak clearly, enunciate every word at a medium speed into your phone from 1-3 inches away from your face and hit send.
It will take a bit of practise for some, to get some of the words recognised by the software, but its 99% accurate.

I prefer that you pull over and stop to txt or post on forums. But, i know you are stubborn and you think you know better. The Voice to Text option is available on the cell phone, just look for Mic icon on the keyboard.

Hit the Mic icon and start speaking. Just dont do it while pax is in the car.

Stay safe.
Great points!! This is one of the reasons I had my app developed. To help drivers avoid texting and driving

KGB7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great points!! This is one of the reasons I had my app developed. To help drivers avoid texting and driving
I have seen a "see through" txting app but, i dont think it took off. Its an app that turns on forward facing cam while you txting, so the background of the app is whats infront of you. In other words, its like typing txts on camera screen.

If i remember correctly, BMW was first to implement many apps, including text to speech, texts and emails. That was few years ago. Now days, BMWs have screens bigger then my TV...haha

FlDriver

I don't text while driving or even read texts that I get.

I doubt many people here are posting on the forum while driving.

If you need to communicate while driving, there's an app for that called making a phone call. With a speech-to-text app I would still want to read the message before sending, to make sure it makes sense, and that's just about as distracting as regular texting, so I don't see the point.

Stygge

Thank you for your invaluable advice. I had no idea this was possible. What will they invent next? Bluetooth connection and phone mounts? No, that is just too high tech to be imaginable.

Last edited:

Older Chauffeur

In CA holding the phone 1-3 inches from your face (cops call it the "pizza slice") could be interpreted as talking on the phone while holding it, which is illegal. Some people seem to have the idea that if you aren't holding it to your ear, you are legal.:rolleyes: You are allowed to use "hands-free" devices to talk, and even hold the phone as you place the call, but then you have to put it down to carry on a conversation. If your voice-to-text system requires holding the phone, you could be cited for distracted driving under the law. Convincing a judge to accept that there is a difference might prove difficult. Of course laws in other states may differ, along with levels of enforcement. Here it is taken seriously.:wink:

RansomT

In CA holding the phone 1-3 inches from your face (cops call it the "pizza slice") could be interpreted as talking on the phone while holding it, which is illegal. Some people seem to have the idea that if you aren't holding it to your ear, you are legal.:rolleyes: You are allowed to use "hands-free" devices to talk, and even hold the phone as you place the call, but then you have to put it down to carry on a conversation. If your voice-to-text system requires holding the phone, you could be cited for distracted driving under the law. Convincing a judge to accept that there is a difference might prove difficult. Of course laws in other states may differ, along with levels of enforcement. Here it is taken seriously.:wink:
In KY, you can talk on your phone, but not TXT. Touching a phone that is mounted while in motion, can result in a TXTing citation. Which, I have now wondered for months, how Uber expects us to accept pings while in motion.

Older Chauffeur

In KY, you can talk on your phone, but not TXT. Touching a phone that is mounted while in motion, can result in a TXTing citation. Which, I have now wondered for months, how Uber expects us to accept pings while in motion.
But your law allows you to use the phone buttons to put in or look up numbers, as well as using GPS maps. So your use of the app would probably be okay. The law in KY specifically says no texting while driving, but if you were cited the cop would have to prove that you were texting. I suppose they could subpoena phone company records, but for a nominal fine why bother.:wink:

KGB7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Driving while GPSing is not against the law. Phone GPS, Car GPS, 3rd party GPS, can be touched and you wont get a ticket for it.

Touching a screen with your index finger, while a screen is attached to a dash is not against the law.

It is against the law to hold an object in your hand that is not hands free; phone. NOT GPS. Because you cant tinder on a stand alone gps unit.

It is not against the law to txt while driving.... IF.. you are using speech to txt option. Many todays cars have built in speech to txt built in to their entertainment system.

Speak but dont hold, touch but it must be hands free and attached to your car.

Bittyit

I tried to post myself - I am new to this forum and could not figure it out.
So I am asking here.
I am wondering about the new Minnesota State Patrols campaign for texting and driving tickets. Does anyone have any information?

I have a vehicle that keeps everything hands free. But I have a cell (new charge port replaced) but still overheated yesterday. I took it off the cradle to get it away from heater. While I was putting it back on a few minutes later an officer gave me a texting ticket. I tried to explain, he would have none of it.
I called sprint, there records show I was NOT texting.
Help, what can I do?

Last edited:

5 Star Guy

So I am asking here.
I am wondering about the new Minnesota State Patrols campaign for texting and driving tickets. Does anyone have any information?

I have a vehicle that keeps everything hands free. But I have a cell (new charge port replaced) but still overheated yesterday. I took it off the cradle to get it away from heater. While I was putting it back on a few minutes later an officer gave me a texting ticket. I tried to explain, he would have none of it.
Help, what can I do?
I would fight it, you could win on a technicality. I fought a stop sign and won, cost $25 but saved more than that. Google the violation like did, there might be a defense that works. Next time pull over, park, shut the car off. I've been close myself, laptop open on the seat and the trooper did a double take. I slammed the screen down, what laptop? Lol

Older Chauffeur

So I am asking here.

Help, what can I do?
Not familiar with your state law, but if he specifically cited you for texting, take proof from your carrier to court and fight the ticket. In CA, they cite for "distracted driving" which includes any number of things like eating, makeup, changing radio stations, GPS use, cellphone use, etc. They can also cite for "unsafe speed for conditions," which is what my sheriff's sergeant son uses.