• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Texas unemployment & driving for Uber?

[d-_-b]

"If" I was to get laid-off/lose my full time job and file for unemployment how would driving part time for Uber effect what unemployment grants me for being unemployed?

Noonespecial

"If" I was to get laid-off/lose my full time job and file for unemployment how would driving part time for Uber effect what unemployment grants me for being unemployed?
As long as you make less than 20,000 driving and less than $600 in bonuses from either company you would be fine. Any amounts less than that dont get reported to the IRS. It would be "wrong" not to report the income but you would not get caught.

whiskeyboat

Last time I was on unemployment was 2005.
Back then if you worked part-time they deducted 75% of your earnings from your benefits.
That way you are not completely dis-incentivized to work.

Noonespecial

[/URL]

1099-k is only issued after $20,000, 1099-misc after $600. As a contractor it is your responsibility to report income, not Uber or lyft until after $20k. If you wanted to collect unemployment and drive uber you COULD get away with it. When you file your taxes you would report it, but it wouldn't show which months you earned it. As far as the unemployment office is concerned, they wouldnt know. Im not saying its right, but you would get away with it.

Swam4Texas

I'm not going to say that I did this before, but knowing what I know, and being pretty authoritative on the situation, the answer is yes, you can collect unemployment and the TWC will not know that you are driving for Uber or Lyft.