Uber Drivers Forum banner

Tesla says "NO!" to commercial use of its power stations

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  unPat 
#1 ·
Sorry Uber, Lyft and other Tesla Taxis services. You're no longer welcome.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...axi-uber-drivers-not-to-use-its-superchargers

Professional drivers looking to buy a Tesla to shuttle paying customers around should consider this: After Friday, vehicles used for commercial purposes won't be allowed to use the company's Superchargers anymore, according to an updated policy.

The change in rules applies to vehicles being deployed as taxis -- including by drivers for Uber Technologies Inc. or Lyft Inc. -- as well as cars used for commercial deliveries or government purposes. The policy shift is intended to keep the high-speed battery chargers available for other customers without immediate access to home or workplace charging.

"Currently, in some areas, heavy Supercharger use by commercial customers such as taxis can occasionally impact availability for other drivers," Tesla Inc. said in an emailed statement, noting that the change will "encourage the fair use of Superchargers by as many customers as possible."

Tesla said in the online policy it could limit or block a vehicle's ability to use the stations if the drivers violate the new rule. The company said it also might exclude certain charging stations or occasional trips from the new policy.

"We encourage the use of Teslas for commercial purposes and we'll work proactively with these customers to find charging solutions that work best for them," the emailed statement said.

Superchargers are intended to provide fast charging along main highways during long-distance travel, though the network's been expanded to include city center locations as well. In Manhattan, where Tesla opened a new storefront Friday, there are two Supercharging stations, with an additional nine coming to the area soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
This means that it's been a problem.

Tesla taxis?

That i doubt LOL

Tesla threw in "taxis" just so that it wouldn't be against uber.

#6 ·
Yeah. Seen a lot of bored folks use tesla s to uber in. And in the sf bay area, there are dozens of limo companies with a tcp that have teslas.

The most interesting part about that car is that u can literally be locked out of charging stations. Just like plugging in a usb, its more than just power transferred. Its data.

I like putting fuel in my car and doing whatever the hello i please. All of this tech nanny crap is sickening.

#9 ·
Yeah. Seen a lot of bored folks use tesla s to uber in. And in the sf bay area, there are dozens of limo companies with a tcp that have teslas.

The most interesting part about that car is that u can literally be locked out of charging stations. Just like plugging in a usb, its more than just power transferred. Its data.

I like putting fuel in my car and doing whatever the hello i please. All of this tech nanny crap is sickening.
Wow. I did not know this. :eek: I hope this isn't true for the Nissan Leaf also. :oops: I was just parked next to a Tesla at the Ohare airport rideshare staging lot today. o_O

#10 ·
Yeah. Your car can be locked out of a power station. Even if you plug it in because its 2 am and no one is there to stop you. Won't matter if the car is blacklisted in their network.

Of course, you need the high end cars with the high end battery to even use the super chargers. 85 i think. But the lesser 60 sedans and the economy 3's aren't even able to supercharge. At least not for free.

Not sure about non tesla electrics. That was in regard to a tesla on a tesla network charger.

Reactions: Bkeddie
#11 ·
Sorry Uber, Lyft and other Tesla Taxis services. You're no longer welcome.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...axi-uber-drivers-not-to-use-its-superchargers

Professional drivers looking to buy a Tesla to shuttle paying customers around should consider this: After Friday, vehicles used for commercial purposes won't be allowed to use the company's Superchargers anymore, according to an updated policy.

The change in rules applies to vehicles being deployed as taxis -- including by drivers for Uber Technologies Inc. or Lyft Inc. -- as well as cars used for commercial deliveries or government purposes. The policy shift is intended to keep the high-speed battery chargers available for other customers without immediate access to home or workplace charging.

"Currently, in some areas, heavy Supercharger use by commercial customers such as taxis can occasionally impact availability for other drivers," Tesla Inc. said in an emailed statement, noting that the change will "encourage the fair use of Superchargers by as many customers as possible."

Tesla said in the online policy it could limit or block a vehicle's ability to use the stations if the drivers violate the new rule. The company said it also might exclude certain charging stations or occasional trips from the new policy.

"We encourage the use of Teslas for commercial purposes and we'll work proactively with these customers to find charging solutions that work best for them," the emailed statement said.

Superchargers are intended to provide fast charging along main highways during long-distance travel, though the network's been expanded to include city center locations as well. In Manhattan, where Tesla opened a new storefront Friday, there are two Supercharging stations, with an additional nine coming to the area soon.
This is why I love my Chevy bolt from maven. It comes with free charging at fast charging stations because they know the bolt for commercial use makes sense.

#12 ·
Yeah. Its bs. But chevy may do the same. I think you leaf and bolt drivers are just lower profile cars. No limo cos doing that. Who knows. Just like fcc and net neutrality. Maybe nissan and chevy will pull that same fascist crap.

That same agreement youre adhering to is the agreement tesla purchasers made as well. And tesla has no problem flipping the script.

#15 ·
If onStar can unlock your car remotely, or Sirius radio can turn on and off access to their service, or Alexa can listen to your conversation, so can Tesla. It's not so hard to figure out. Everyone thinks technology is so friggin great...but it's a total invasion of privacy. give me a pocket full of dimes and a pay phone any day.
LOL yeah the FBI and the NSA would never have technology to tap your pay phone conversation and identify you by your voice.

Why am I going as high up as the NSA!?! Try your local county Sheriff and Department of Corrections center.

#21 ·
They just have to look at usage online in their system. If you are using a supercharger for a significant charge every day, they'll know. They sent threatening letters to people that used superchargers that may have been close to their work instead of charging at home, theyll definitely notice when you are putting a couple hundred miles on day in, day out.

#26 ·
Honestly. If i were tesla, And i really wanted to monitor rideshare usage. Its the hazards bro. Rideshare drivers use hazards more often than most. So id electronically ask the tesla cars about their hazard usage. Probably other ways too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.