1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Tesla predicts accident seconds before it happens.

Discussion in 'Autonomous' started by RamzFanz, Dec 27, 2016.

1. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

Just a few weeks ago, we published a report about how Tesla’s new radar technology for the Autopilot is already proving useful in some potentially dangerous situations. We now have a new piece of evidence that is so spectacularly clear that it’s worth updating that report.

The video of an accident on the highway in the Netherlands caught on the dashcam of a Tesla Model X shows the Autopilot’s forward collision warning predicting an accident before it could be detected by the driver.

With the release of Tesla’s version 8.0 software update in September, the automaker announced a new radar processing technology that was directly pushed over-the-air to all its vehicles equipped with the first generation Autopilot hardware.

One of the main features enabled by the new radar processing capacity is the ability for the system to see ahead of the car in front of you and basically track two cars ahead on the road. The radar is able to bounce underneath or around the vehicle in front of the Tesla Model S or X and see where the driver potentially can not because the leading vehicle is obstructing the view.

That’s demonstrated clearly in this real world situation on the Autobahn today.

In the video embedded below, we can hear the Tesla Autopilot’s Forward Collision Warning sending out an alert for seemingly no reason, but a fraction of a second later we understand why when the vehicle in front of the Tesla crashes into an SUV that wasn’t visible from the standpoint of the Tesla driver, but apparently it was for the Autopilot’s radar:

Hans Noordsij, the Tesla driver from the Netherlands who reported the video, said that everyone involved in the accident “turned out to be OK” despite the fact that the SUV rolled over.

What is most impressive is that fact that we can clearly hear the Forward Collision Warning alert before the lead vehicle even applied the brake, which shows that the Autopilot wasn’t only using the lead vehicle to plan the path, but also the vehicle in front of it – the black SUV.

The driver of the Tesla also reported that Autopilot started braking before he could apply the brakes himself, according to Noordsij.

Again, this new feature was pushed via an over-the-air software update to all Tesla vehicles equipped with the first generation Autopilot and it should soon be pushed to the vehicles equipped with the second generation Autopilot hardware.

While collision warning and automatic emergency braking systems are evidently useful safety features, they are no substitute to staying vigilant and being ready to take control at any time.

https://electrek.co/2016/12/27/tesla-autopilot-radar-technology-predict-accident-dashcam/

2. RamzFanz

...an accident with a car the human driver couldn't have even seen. Wild stuff.

3. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Tesla Radar causes Testicular Cancer !

Attached Files:

4. andaas

andaas Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I can clearly see the brake lights through the windows of the car that struck the SUV about 3-4 seconds before the Tesla audible alert is fired. I would have let off the gas at that point.

I'm glad the technology exists, but doubt it would have had any impact on me unless I was distracted at the time of the incident.

*edit* I should add that I noticed the brake lights the first time I watched the video early this morning on Gizmodo... not like on one of several repeat viewings. I actually watched it a second time earlier because I thought I had noticed the lights before the alert and confirmed my suspicion.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  5. Jermin8r89

Jermin8r89 Well-Known Member

What if the roads were wet or icey? It wouldnt have matter. Other cars have this feature already in them so not impressed

6. Jermin8r89

All technoligy gives us cancer wich is y millininals will not live as long as past generation

Attached Files:

7. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Well-Known Member

Don't blasfame our overlords!

8. RamzFanz

Yes, I see your point. If this were a shorter vehicle up front or a taller vehicle behind it though, you probably couldn't have seen the lights. The point being they will be able to observe things we simply can't and react faster than humans.

Then you might consider if these were all SDCs, every car for miles could instantly know what was happening from each car's perspective and this is one more accident that will become unnecessary in the near future. If an accident still occurred, traffic could reroute on the fly within seconds, emergency services notified with video feed so they could see what they are getting into, and audio and video from every perspective archived for the investigation.

Danny3xd likes this.
  9. RamzFanz

Wet or icy? The cars would travel at safer speeds I suppose. Besides, if it were unexpected wet or ice, an SDC can react faster and avoid better with a 360 degree constant view and awareness of what options it has along with coordinating avoidance with all of the other cars.

Other cars have radar that would know a car ahead of the one in front of you is decelerating quickly? I don't think so. Not in public use.

10. Jermin8r89

Id support SDCs maybe abit more if there evidence of these vehicals handling weather better. These cars r based off of learning and as a new englander every storm is different. Id be currious if it goes threw a snowstorm how itd react to light snowcoateing on street an then its going down a steep hill. I know how to do that even in a focus. What about it can go threw snow but it builds up and u going down a high steep street. If i encounter that then i dont go down it if i know i wont stop at intersection at the end safely.

I feel driveing is like sex. U either r really good or really bad.
    I think theres too many variables for this work even tbough we want it too

11. RamzFanz

Id be currious if it goes threw a snowstorm how itd react to light snowcoateing on street

Baby steps.

Baby steps in technology takes days, weeks, months, and even years, but not decades.

Yes, you get better at sex with intent and practice. The entire industrialised world, using massive brainpower and investments, is applying intent and practicing. There's no chance at all they are all wrong and a few discontents are correct.

Grahamcracker likes this.
  12. Gung-Ho

Gung-Ho Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Big deal. I can predict an accident seconds before it happens too. Because that's about all the time you have to avoid one. If these genius cars could predict an accident a minute before it would happen then I'd be impressed

elelegido likes this.
  13. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

Of course, the skilled and experienced driver does not just blindly follow the car in front, but will be looking at traffic and road conditions up to several hundred yards in front of him.

Had the Tesla driver been doing that then he wouldn't have had to rely on this gizmo to tell him he was at imminent risk of crashing his car.

14. Do tell

Do tell Well-Known Member

Jermin8r89 likes this.
  15. Jermin8r89

If hes stolked anout them then y is trying to sway peoples minds?

16. RamzFanz

You can't observe what you can't see. The point of the story is the SDC could observe what it couldn't "see" using senses we simply don't have.

17. Jermin8r89

The point of the story is for big corparations control us

18. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

And my point is that it's a matter of driving standards. In other countries, where drivers are tested against significantly higher standards than in the US in order to obtain their licenses, all drivers are taught what are, in fact, extremely basic and common sense driving rules, including that:

- a driver should always be able to stop in the distance they can see to be clear. Thus, driving blindly behind a vehicle at speed without being able to stop or avoid it (just in case, you know, it crashes right in front of you) is not a good idea.
    - if you don't have a good, clear view of the road ahead, slow down and increase the gap between your vehicle and the one in front. until you do have a good view of the road ahead.

These are very, very basic driving skills, which the crashing drivers in the video failed to employ. It really doesn't get much simpler than, "If you can't see what's ahead of you, slow down", and even if drivers are not taught this, it doesn't take a genius to work it out.

Yes, technology can indeed be used as last resort correctors for drivers' poor driving, but there is a great risk that they will be responsible for driving standards actually worsening. "It's ok; I can drive carelessly/like a tool; the gizmos will keep me out of trouble". Given the choice, I would favor raising driving standards to international levels.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Jermin8r89 likes this.
  19. Do tell

Do tell Well-Known Member

The poor guy that was driving his tesla that crashed into a tractor-trailer in Florida must have thought this.

20. RamzFanz

Or to replace humans with a superior driving system.