Ten year old blind girl and teacher denied ride by uber driver.

observer

http://www.12news.com/mb/news/natio...-teacher-denied-ride-by-uber-driver/279801750

NATION NOW
10-year-old blind girl and teacher denied ride by Uber driver
WESH (NBC) , KPNX2 days ago
Facebook

WESH

Addison Burgess

A 10-year-old blind girl and her teacher were denied a ride by an Uber driver because they had a service dog Wednesday.

The Orlando Uber driver has been suspended and could lose his Uber driving privileges, pending an investigation.

10-year-old Addison Burgess and her teacher, Amanda Lannan, who is also blind, and were trying to get to a camp field trip.

The camp is meant to help blind children adapt to life's challenges.

"I explained to him this was a service animal. I showed him the harness, I showed him the tag," Lannan said.

Uber said it is against company policy and the law to discriminate against riders with service animals.

Last edited:

dumbdriver

as an independent contractor Uber cannot require you to pick up anybody by law if you are terminated for not picking them up you will sue them and win many drivers have already sold them and collected their money there's a lot of things they're not telling us they don't own your car they don't . they have gone to several different courts around the United States telling judges they have no drivers they have no cars there for they have no liability so they need to tell us nothing

Fuzzyelvis

as an independent contractor Uber cannot require you to pick up anybody by law if you are terminated for not picking them up you will sue them and win many drivers have already sold them and collected their money there's a lot of things they're not telling us they don't own your car they don't . they have gone to several different courts around the United States telling judges they have no drivers they have no cars there for they have no liability so they need to tell us nothing
I think your screen name says it all.

EcoboostMKS

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. You couldn't be more wrong. Your tax status doesn't exempt you from having to follow federal laws.

Demon

You just can't deny them service based on their disability.

Michael - Cleveland

This is soooo avoidable.
Pax with service animals should be told to txt or call the driver with that info as soon as a driver accepts the ride and make sure they are ok with the animal. (some drivers have a disability, too - allergies, fear of dogs, etc.). The Uber rider app should notify the driver that the pax has a service animal - the same way it lets' pax's know the driver is hearing impaired.

If I don't want the ride I'll help the pax get another driver who is happy to accommodate them.

Demon

This is soooo avoidable.
Pax with service animals should be told to txt or call the driver with that info as soon as a driver accepts the ride and make sure they are ok with the animal. (some drivers have a disability, too - allergies, fear of dogs, etc.). If I don't want the ride I'll help the pax get another driver who is happy to accommodate them.
That's one of the most illegal things anyone in any of these threads have ever written.

If any driver has allergies that severe to dogs they would have submitted that medical paperwork to Uber and have that medical paperwork on them at all times. And let's be honest, if someone is that allergic to dogs they shouldn't be driving for hire.

All drivers have already agreed to have service animals in their car. If you don't want service animals in your car don't drive for Uber/Lyft, it's that simple.

EcoboostMKS

This is soooo avoidable.
Pax with service animals should be told to txt or call the driver with that info as soon as a driver accepts the ride and make sure they are ok with the animal. (some drivers have a disability, too - allergies, fear of dogs, etc.). The Uber rider app should notify the driver that the pax has a service animal - the same way it lets' pax's know the driver is hearing impaired.

If I don't want the ride I'll help the pax get another driver who is happy to accommodate them.
That opens the door for discrimination though. It gives drivers the option to discriminate against people with disabilities. The whole point of the ADA is to make sure they have equal rights and access.

Allergies and fear are not valid excuses to deny service based on the law.

Michael - Cleveland

That's one of the most illegal things anyone in any of these threads have ever written.
Yeah - god forbid common sense and courtesy should apply when instead you can make something a legal issue.

And, fyi: The ADA is administred by the EEOC div of the Dep't of Labor. EEOC regulations apply to companies - not individuals. As of right now, TNC drivers are not covered under EEOC regulations.
https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publications/adahandbook.cfm

That opens the door for discrimination though. It gives drivers the option to discriminate against people with disabilities. The whole point of the ADA is to make sure they have equal rights and access.
Allergies and fear are not valid excuses to deny service based on the law.
You're incorrect - legitimate allergies and phobias are just as 'real' as other disabilities.
Your disability does not trump mine.
Your right to access to service ends where my rights begin.

Last edited:

Demon

Yeah - god forbid common sense and courtesy should apply when instead you can make something a legal issue.

You're incorrect - legitimate allergies and phobias are just as 'real' as other disabilities.
It's courteous to deny a ride to someone on the grounds that they're disabled?? I'm going to disagree with you there.

You're not allergic to dogs in any way that would prevent you from doing your job.

Demon

That's when you know someone has no legitimate argument or facts: when they make it personal.
I have no problem picking up people with service animals (and generally prefer them over 'regular' riders).
This isn't about me. It's about equal rights under the law.
Correct, it is about equal rights under the law, which you seem very opposed to. A person with a disability should have the same legal access to a public accommodation as anyone else. I'll again state, if a person has an allergy to dogs that is so severe they can't drive, they have medical paperwork to prove it and wouldn't be required to accept a service animal in their vehicle.

EcoboostMKS

No, I'm correct. They do trump yours according to federal law. At least when it comes to service dogs and access.

"Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals"

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

cannonball7

I am allergic to stupidity. As usual Uber hangs the "partner" out to...

Is Hang Me Out To Dry and Hang Me Up To Dry the same expression?

Regardless, I find all this banter interesting.

Rhetorical question:

Guess what Uber will do when a "partner" gets bit?
Hint: Uber is fresh out of Uber branded band-aids.

painfreepc

I would like to know is there any point for a request to transport passengers and their service animals becomes absolutely ridiculous,

Let's take the following scenario for example,

You get a ping and then a phone call,

Hello I have for big service animal dogs and four full-size adults and Luggage we're going to the airport what's your ETA,

WTF..