Temptation to turn it back on

Have you stopped driving because of COVID? Me too. It’s funny how many of us (including myself) complain about the miserable pay and rotten treatment we receive from U/L and sometimes from pax, yet it takes a pandemic to get us to finally stop driving.

1589058113129.png

I picked up a replacement job delivering pizza. I get minimum wage plus 30 cents per mile, and keep all the tips. As you can imagine, the tips are where it’s at. When the wife asks “how was your night” the answer almost always depends on how well I did in tips. Reminds me of that old movie They Live and the scene where he looks at money with the special glasses and it reads THIS IS YOUR GOD. Pathetic, I know.

I am a pretty friendly kind of guy, willing to work hard, and will do what I can (within reason) to please most people. As a result, management likes me. The other day the Area Manager called me out of the blue and asked if I would pick up a shift at one of the stores about a half hour away from me. The distance of 18 miles away was very surprising – there has to be up to a dozen locations that are closer that they could pull replacements from. I took the shift.

6 hours later I am heading back home. I’ve got about 15 miles ahead of me, and I’m thinking how it would be nice to make some money on the way home. Maybe I should turn on Uber and use the DF. Temptation!!!

Immediately some thoughts popped into my mind:
  • If I get a ride and it takes me very close to home, I’ll be lucky if I get paid $15. This is the best case scenario.
  • It is possible I could catch COVID or something else, which means that I would end up passing it on to my family and friends that I hang out with each weekend. Corona has mostly passed us by in my city, so I’m feeling kind of invincible, but in my mind I know that the risk/reward ratio isn’t that great.
  • Chances are, if I did get a ping (and even that is in doubt), it would either be someone wanting to go through a drive-thru (only thing you can do around here, it seems), or someone wanting to go somewhere far from my house. Uber’s DF is pretty crappy. Don’t even get me started on the quality of Lyft’s DF!
These expectations immediately soured me on the idea. So, I resisted temptation. I deadheaded home.

My brain started wandering, and I wondered why I even keep the stickers on my window. In my city, drivers are REQUIRED to have stickers, with their business license number written on them, on both front and back windows. I decided to keep them on for two reasons: 1) I might drive again in the future if I get desperate for money, and 2) the stickers show that I am an ‘essential service provider’, which gets police (and others) to ignore me.

1589058126504.png

Once the stickers come down, I’m officially done. It would be a major pain in the butt to get new stickers, since the hubs are closed. But as I continue delivering pizza, it seems less and less likely that I will fall back to the U/L world. I think that I may be done driving for good, unless the money part improves substantially. Delivering pizza has paid me roughly $19-26/hour gross consistently, while putting 1/3 fewer miles on my vehicle during the same time frames. Yes, I am on a (constantly changing) work schedule, but typically I know my schedule 1-2 weeks in advance, so it’s not that big of a deal.

Anyway, for those who shouted TLDR, here is the short version: I resisted temptation and did NOT turn on my apps when I had a long boring ride home.

How about you; anyone out there that has said “No driving until COVID goes away!” been tempted? What did you do?

Mr T
Have you stopped driving because of COVID? Me too. It’s funny how many of us (including myself) complain about the miserable pay and rotten treatment we receive from U/L and sometimes from pax, yet it takes a pandemic to get us to finally stop driving.

View attachment 459420

I picked up a replacement job delivering pizza. I get minimum wage plus 30 cents per mile, and keep all the tips. As you can imagine, the tips are where it’s at. When the wife asks “how was your night” the answer almost always depends on how well I did in tips. Reminds me of that old movie They Live and the scene where he looks at money with the special glasses and it reads THIS IS YOUR GOD. Pathetic, I know.

I am a pretty friendly kind of guy, willing to work hard, and will do what I can (within reason) to please most people. As a result, management likes me. The other day the Area Manager called me out of the blue and asked if I would pick up a shift at one of the stores about a half hour away from me. The distance of 18 miles away was very surprising – there has to be up to a dozen locations that are closer that they could pull replacements from. I took the shift.

6 hours later I am heading back home. I’ve got about 15 miles ahead of me, and I’m thinking how it would be nice to make some money on the way home. Maybe I should turn on Uber and use the DF. Temptation!!!

• If I get a ride and it takes me very close to home, I’ll be lucky if I get paid $15. This is the best case scenario.
  • It is possible I could catch COVID or something else, which means that I would end up passing it on to my family and friends that I hang out with each weekend. Corona has mostly passed us by in my city, so I’m feeling kind of invincible, but in my mind I know that the risk/reward ratio isn’t that great.
  • Chances are, if I did get a ping (and even that is in doubt), it would either be someone wanting to go through a drive-thru (only thing you can do around here, it seems), or someone wanting to go somewhere far from my house. Uber’s DF is pretty crappy. Don’t even get me started on the quality of Lyft’s DF!
These expectations immediately soured me on the idea. So, I resisted temptation. I deadheaded home.

My brain started wandering, and I wondered why I even keep the stickers on my window. In my city, drivers are REQUIRED to have stickers, with their business license number written on them, on both front and back windows. I decided to keep them on for two reasons: 1) I might drive again in the future if I get desperate for money, and 2) the stickers show that I am an ‘essential service provider’, which gets police (and others) to ignore me.

View attachment 459421

Once the stickers come down, I’m officially done. It would be a major pain in the butt to get new stickers, since the hubs are closed. But as I continue delivering pizza, it seems less and less likely that I will fall back to the U/L world. I think that I may be done driving for good, unless the money part improves substantially. Delivering pizza has paid me roughly $19-26/hour gross consistently, while putting 1/3 fewer miles on my vehicle during the same time frames. Yes, I am on a (constantly changing) work schedule, but typically I know my schedule 1-2 weeks in advance, so it’s not that big of a deal.

Anyway, for those who shouted TLDR, here is the short version: I resisted temptation and did NOT turn on my apps when I had a long boring ride home.

How about you; anyone out there that has said “No driving until COVID goes away!” been tempted? What did you do?
BEEN DOING PIZZA 3 YEARS NOW

WAS PLANNING ON DOING UBER " PART TIME" RIGHT BEFORE COVID.

I DID UBER FULL TIME 3 YEARS . LAST YEAR OVERLAPPED PIZZA .

UNTIL MY PROFIT MARGIN WAS SO MUCH GREATER DOING PIZZA, I JUST CUT OUT UBER.

MORE EFFICIENT USE OF MY CAR FOR PIZZA.
1/2 THE MILES.

ONE DAY I SHALL RETURN . . .
FOR THE TAX WRITEOFF IF NOTHING ELSE.

I get 37 cents a mile.
Going & coming back.

With Uber
I get " NO NEED TO TIP"!
Screenshot_2020-05-09-16-23-08.png

I resisted temptation
when SAH order(s) are gone and Fed extra cheese ends I'll go back online. I would say also when there is a vaccine, but that might be for 18 months or more. I'll go mad if I waited that long. Staying at home does suck, but at least it is more or less safe. Wife works front lines, so I'm never wo risk..... I hope making he change in the garage helps. :coolio:

View attachment 459420

View attachment 459421

We Are There.
Stay out of Memory Hole, T.
theylive.jpg

CqYyxtIUMAAED-o.jpg

I've turned on the APP a couple times just to see what the demand is in my neighborhood on both platforms. There is a small amount of pings to be had. But I cannot take the risk (however small) for the pennies that everyone is paying at the moment. If I lived by myself without family, I would, but as it were, I'd hate to bring anything home that compromised anyone in my household.

More of a story than an article, but happy to play along. To answer your question, yes, I am tempted. I gave into that temptation, once, and will not do so again. Why?

1) The most obvious is that I am making more not working than working. In fact I have a question for you; Why are you not kicking it on the couch with the rest of us? I like the idea that you have freed yourself from the yoke of the U/L mafioso by running with the pizza gangs, but if you have the choice to glide for a while, why not? Inquiring minds.

But anyway, ridesharing was an experiment to see if I could make my car expenses. I actually "modeled" the business in a spreadsheet before determining that I could lease an electric car, put double the allotted mileage on it, and still break even at a minimum. In other words, I went into the endeavor with a degree of certainty. The plan worked. And then some. With the model now broken into smithereens the most certain Plan B at present is to collect PUA + a smidge of core unemployment insurance. That continues to pay for the car. And then some.

2) I'm still tempted to go online however when in town (I live 1.5 hours from a metro area). My mind is always in optimize mode, and very much wants to take on a fare to squeeze the most out of a town trip. Even if the fare just pays for that tempting trip to In-N-Out. HOWEVER, it is not clear yet what amount of Ubering will put the kybosh on the UI income so temptation is being resisted. Until that is understood, no Uber for me.

3) Even at that I did in fact take two pings 2 weeks ago. And you know what? They were crap rides. The tourists and work-bound locals are long gone. One ride was a fixed trip on Lyft, thus no tip, and the other was a long pickup to take a first generation Filipino housekeeper home from her job. She had put in the wrong address, was a rude insensitive person, talked on the phone the whole time, and could not even say thank you for the spritz of hand sanitizer spray I graciously offered her. And certainly no tip. (I LOVE the Filipino people so I don't want to hear even a murmur of racist BS).

So those couple of rides kinda took the "T" out of temptation (pun not intended).

4) There is no 4, meaning I am not worried about getting C19. I am high risk so that may be foolish. It's just that I'm taking piles of precautions.

PS - Too old to deliver much of anything anyway. Knees are going out. Perhaps one too many slow twisting falls from the skiing years. Or who knows.

Last edited:

View attachment 459420

View attachment 459421

I'd have just chosen to take the $600/week unemployment staycation.

Re Pizza delivery.. min wage plus mileage,, How many hours can you get in a week?

as far as the temptation to start driving again...yes, im tempted. My wife and I are driving each other nuts at home every day all day, But Im 73, she is 71 and we have a 73 yo house guest that had a heart attack 6 months ago. So Yes Id like to be out again, but the risk is just too great

• Article Author Article Author
  • Article Author Article Author
Inquiring minds.
A fair question with a 2 part answer.

1. Wife and will drive each other nuts if I stay home all the time.

2. I am skeptical of how long it will take, if ever, of the UI money. I can't just sit around for a month while the local Unemployment office says "we will get it fixed soon, try again next week". I like having cash in my pocket.

What's truly sad about this situation is that we've finally learned that uber and Lyft hold all the power, ants will still drive in an effing pandemic for base pay, risking their lives for as little as 60 cents a mile. I miss driving but there's no way I'll go back till it's safe and surging.
they designed the system in a way to make base pay look attractive

Well, I know that you are also a driver in Portland and I'm currently driving part time, after taking 5 weeks off starting the weekend before st. paddys day, so let me give you some insight into the scene here:

I'm actually making more now than I was before the virus, per hour, BUT, it's changed quite a bit. Right now I'm mainly driving the early morning till about 10am or so. I try to ONLY drive for Uber right now .. because Lyft just doesn't pay enough. Uber (In Portland anyways) pays a long-distance pickup fee. Nearly all of the rides are 10+ minutes away, on Lyft the average request I get is 13-16minutes away. I only accept Lyft rides within 5 minutes of me, because I'm not driving for free for that scumbag company (I despise Lyft with a passion...) So for Uber after 10 minutes of driving the "clock starts" and you start getting paid.. so if I drive 15 minutes to a ride thats 25 minutes across town with no traffic, and I get rides like that consistantly, it actually averages out to fairly decent pay. The other benefit to that is if I drive 15 minutes to pick someone up, and they never show up, Uber charges them as if that was an actual fare, so it's like I just drove a pax 15 minutes + wait time. Lyft would just be like oh, here's your $5 and your next pax is 22 minutes away. I ****hate Lyft.

The rideshare scene right now is extremely sensitive to the number of drivers on the road. If the money I'm making is dependent on Uber rides from across town, it's because there are not many drivers. Throw in more drivers, and there's a lot of waiting around. It's very rare that a ride pops up right next to me. Lyft is a perfect example here, because in Portland Lyft is more popular than Uber, and there's many more Lyft drivers than Uber drivers. We can thank a combined misplaced belief by progressives here that Lyft is a "socially conscious company" and that Lyft really pushes for Express and Flex drivers. At first Lyft pings back to back, they're just very rarely ever within 5 minutes of me. As the morning goes on Lyft requests stop completely because too many drivers are out. When Uber gets slow you can turn on Eats.

Would it be worth it for you to go back to driving? Probably not in the long run.. the number of drivers out each day is increasing since I started driving again a few week ago. The streets used to be dead, but people are sick of staying home. More riders, yes, but more drivers.. it's making earnings more and more volatile. Whenever my UIB starts coming in, I will stop driving. It's not worth it to me, to drive these people around. Honestly, the thing that makes me hate driving the most right now is that no one tips. I've long since learned that the more someone rides, the less often they tip. The bar and date night crowd tip the most not because they were drinking, but because they rarely use the service. The type of riders riding right now are the ones who use the service regularly, it's like a bus to them, and they don't tip.

View attachment 459420

View attachment 459421

Do whatever YOU need to to. You are smart enough to know. Personally I have not been driving. Will resume when it’s safe. Also I can stay home.

If you ask me, don’t miss it. I’m dreading going back. If both u/L don’t increase prices there’s no point in driving. You can make more in PUA payments for the remainder of this pandemic. Don’t let anyone tell you you’re not entitled to benefits. State taxes and UI money go down the same black hole, if you pay state taxes then you contributed enough not to risk your life over nickels and dimes.

so when they reopen restaurants the delivery work should slow down. Do whatever you want but driving pax is perfectly safe if you clean your car, and dont kiss the customers.