1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Technology and its discontents The role of technology is under attack

Discussion in 'Toronto' started by Karl Marx, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Karl Marx

Karl Marx

2. Athos

Athos

Driving:
    UberX
    Hey, Karl. Maybe you should take a vacation from all the apocalyptic stuff. Full time, all the time can't be good for you. Not to neglect actual dangers we are facing but the Cassandra complex is an unhappy thing. If you take a vacation you might come back stronger!

Love the title of the piece: Technology and its Discontents. It's from Freud's Civilization and its Discontents where, according to Freud, laws were made to keep men from sexually assaulting women. The best title of any book that I have ever read is Freud's Future of an Illusion. It's about religion. Wonderful title! Freud was a great writer and this book is under appreciated. Fortunately there isn't much of the classic dumb Freudianism in it, it's a great read for Psychology/Philosophy types. A bit heavy going though.

I also liked the quote from Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. “They were careless people,” he laments. “They smashed up things ... and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness.” It makes me think of my nephew who works as a programmer for Google in California. He is an Asperger kid who thinks only about himself and his algorithms . He thinks he is very clever and he is, but only in math and programming. If he influences the future it won't be good for us normal dopes.

3. Karl Marx

Karl Marx

Great advice and yes negative outlook all the time does not make for healthy id or ego. Like we were always reminded by McLuhan, "bad news is good news." Strange that a person who was in many way entitled and privileged like Marx was so intertwined with need to help his fellow beings understand the cruel complexity of the capitalist system.

Your reading list will keep me very busy this summer.

4. Athos

Athos

Driving:
    UberX
    No, no, no, no no....

Read something fun and mindless like Stevenson's Treasure Island or Melville's Typee. Typee has cannibals! Both good reads from good writers.

Thinking about the Fitzgerald quote above: “They were careless people,” he laments. “They smashed up things ... and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness.” It makes me think of a current person who thinks he can buy off people (or prostitutes) with his vast money.

Karl Marx likes this.
  5. Karl Marx

Karl Marx

BOTUS
    Babbler of The United States.

Athos likes this.
  6. Athos

Athos

Driving:
    UberX
    Hey, i_ki_k !

Why don't you tell us about Typee?

i_k likes this.
  7. i_k

i_k

Take a break, Karl MarxKarl Marx , and enjoy a beautiful tale of a Polynesian paradise, its inhabitants (the cannibals!), and Melville’s own accounts of his encounter with the infamous Typee tribe after jumping ship. Part autobiography, part fiction, it’s a lovely read and sure to get your mind off the woes of our current climate..

Athos likes this.
  8. Richard Hughes' A High Wind in Jamaica is a particularly good book in that vein. A tale about some children captured by pirates in the 19th century. Not quite Kidnapped and not quite Lord of the Flies but somewhere in between.

Athos likes this.
  9. Karl Marx

Karl Marx

Spent a amazing Christmas In Bora Bora. Beautiful people. All the friendly islands definitely worth the visit. These islands are unfortunately feeling the ravages of rising sea levels. Amazing competitive outrigger culture.