• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

"Taxi's Are Toast"...Not Just Talk

Courageous

I have to vent. First, you need to know I'm a woman. Second, I'm a licensed chauffeur doing Uber in between my private work. I got my business started 15 years ago being part of the airport lineup (left airport op many years ago). I was black car side but got to know the taxi side as both sides would kill many hours, in line, waiting for our turn for passenger. Point is, I know taxi guys well.

To the present: Two days ago, I'm waiting for my client (private) to come out from surgery. I unexpectedly waited nearly an hour. During this time I was parked just out of the way of the valet and could see all the activity in and out of the building. A yellow taxi pulls in and stops 15ft from the front of my car. Taxi guy is big guy.

To my right I observe three very elderly and frail seniors struggle to stand from the bench they were resting on. Two little ladies and one male. One of the ladies was assisted by a walker. The male was helping her stand. They baby step shuffle toward the cab and I watch the taxi guy, wondering why he is not already out of that driver seat to help these people. I think to myself he is doing some paperwork or something and doesn't notice his passengers are struggling to reach his minivan. He had auto-opened the sliding rear passenger door of his minivan but never budged from his driver seat. It takes no time for me to KNOW he sees his passengers but still remains seated.

The little lady with the walker, assisted by the other little old lady, has managed to get one foot up on the step rail...but is stuck..she cannot manage more footing. The driver remains in driver seat. I quickly jump out... I had refrained from instinctively helping because I JUST KNEW that driver was going to get out and help ... right? With authority, (My background is medicine. I have much experience physically assisting patients), I quickly move in and physically pick this lady up and place her in her seat. (yes, she is that small and frail). At the moment I placed her comfortably in seat, my arms still wrapped around her back and legs...my face is one foot from the driver. I turn and stare at him. No one wants to be on the receiving end of my death stares. I didn't blink. I said, "Pop the trunk." I start breaking down her walker and continue to glance up at driver. He pops the trunk and FINALLY gets out of his seat and comes to the trunk to load the walker that I had folded for him. I promptly returned to my car continuing to "death stare" him in disbelief.

I felt ashamed. I felt so angry I was almost in tears. How dare he. Who is so empty at heart that they could just SIT THERE and not help someone in need like that. Customer or not. I know he wasn't from this country. That is the best sense I can make of it. I know no other culture but mine.

TAXI'S ARE TOAST...no turning back. This is just ONE example of why.

Last edited:

Eat.Sleep.Drive

God bless you!! I always get out and offer assistance to the elderly. Honestly, to anyone with so much as a larger bag. There 'll always be some knuckleheads who will be an embarrassment to all of us. Sad.

Courageous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You sound like an amazing person Courageous Well Done!!

I hope you reported that @@@@@@@, if that's even possible.
His taxi number is seared on my brain.. I thought about reporting him but then I stopped in shame. Nothing is going to change them. Can you imagine the barrage of calls that are just tossed in a file (IF THAT), considered commonplace in the taxi industry? There are good taxi guys out there but, unfortunately, the "bad" rule and are the demise of that industry. Taxi's are Toast. No turning back. They should be ashamed as they tuck their disgusting tails.
I was raised with three brothers. I'll be damned if ONE of them would EVER enter EVEN an elevator before a woman. Our country is going to hell fast.

AJUber

I'm going to play devil's advocate here ...

1. maybe it's against his culture .
2. maybe he didn't want the insurance issues
3. maybe filling out paper work.
4. guy already helping here. why me too.

now I agree taxi are done. it's a outdated service.

very nice of you to help even though not your fare. and I hope you know he never got out of the seat to help her out either . lol

Courageous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1. maybe it's against his culture .
4. guy already helping here. why me too.

very nice of you to help even though not your fare. and I hope you know he never got out of the seat to help her out either . lol
1) He needs to go back to his "country" or get a different job
2) Just stay home and do nothing considering frivolous law suits
3) He wasn't doing jack-shit but being lazy.. actually, "lazy" is something I understand.. but "heartless, is more fitting here"
4) Seriously? You need to work on your "devil's advocate" skills

"very nice of you to help even though not your fare. and I hope you know he never got out of the seat to help her out either . lol"

WHAT?

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

I see. All Uber, Lyft and Sidecar drivers get out of the vehicle and:

1. Help the elderly
2. Help the ladies with their suitcases
3. Help everyone else with the suitcases
4. Help the ladies with their grocery bags
5. Help everyone else with the grocery bags
6. At least get the door for a passenger who has her hands full.

To read what more than a few UberX and Lyft drivers post here, any user who expects a little help is a demanding, selfish, entitled __________________(insert appropriate derogatory/vulgar term here) who is living off Daddy's money.

If the taxis are, indeed, "toast" it must not be due to the scrape, bow and kowtow service that all Uber, Lyft and Sidecar drivers provide, as that type of service seems to be rare amoung the previously mentioned drivers.

You statement is an emotional reaction to your righteous indignation. While I, too, see similar far too often from the taxi drivers, I see it, as well from Uber and Lyft drivers. Uber and Lyft drivers display a trade dress, here, so I can spot them.

The limousine drivers, such as you, do provide scrape, bow and kowtow service, as a rule. Those who do not will be sacked, if they are driving for someone else. As for the independents, they will lose customers if they do not render service at the level that their customers expect.

God bless you!! I always get out and offer assistance to the elderly. Honestly, to anyone with so much as a larger bag. There 'll always be some knuckleheads who will be an embarrassment to all of us. Sad.

.......as do I. Many of the elderly and those on crutches find it easier to get into the front. I always offer that option. As in the cab, my front seat is my office, I do ask them to give me a minute to put all of the stuff into the trunk. If I see a suitcase, at least I get out and open the trunk; I do not simply "pop" it, even if the customer tells me to. At least, I get out and hold open the lid. If I see someone who has her hands full, at least I get out and open the door. In addition, I will schlepp the bags to the door at the destination, or, at least, open the door of the building for the customer. I have posted something elsewhere about the result that I received from doing this for one passenger in particular from the Safeway in Georgetown.

I thought about reporting him but then I stopped in shame. Nothing is going to change them. Can you imagine the barrage of calls that are just tossed in a file (IF THAT), considered commonplace in the taxi industry? There are good taxi guys out there but, unfortunately, the "bad" rule and are the demise of that industry. Taxi's are Toast. No turning back. They should be ashamed as they tuck their disgusting tails.
I was raised with three brothers. I'll be damned if ONE of them would EVER enter EVEN an elevator before a woman. Our country is going to hell fast.
It is unclear what you mean by "stopped in shame".

How would you know what either the cab companies or the regulators do with complaints?

Here we go again with the lip service paid to the "good ones" while damning the group as a whole. It was nonsense when the first person tried it, and ya' know what? It is still nonsense.

Profile much? Stereotype much? Call names much? Again, this is an emotional reaction to your righteous indignation.

I, too, was raised in a simlar archaic fashion to your brothers. When a customer tells me that I need not schlepp her suitcase, I will tell her with a chuckle that Mrs. [family name of Another Uber Driver] raised me in an archaic fashion, thus, would not permit me to allow her to schlepp her own suitcase.

Allright, so which is it? Is it the 'Murricans what're ruining this har' country of our'n or is it them thar furriners?

The insurance problems have been raised more than once. As a former official of a cab insurance company, I can assure you that there have been lawsuits from just this sort of thing's going south. Futher, as a former official of a cab company, I can assure you that there have been lawsuits over this.

More than once, I have been filling out the PW, or, even reading the paper and did not see my customer's coming to me. If I perceive their presence, suddenly, or am alerted ot the same, I get out of the car immediately and apologise for my horrid manners and inform them that I was not paying attention.

.......and now another worn out elitist statement from yet another of these self-designated "New Elites". While we may have engaged, and still engage, in some outdated practices, we are far from outdated, unless knowing our business is suddenly outdated, according to this GPS-hugging, self-appointed "New Elite".

LaustinAustin

I don't think Taxi's are outdated or even on the verge of becoming extinct. I also don't think Uber is the next great savior. Somewhere in between those, lie us all. When the "extinct cabbies" and the "Elitist Uber drivers" begin to see we are all needed in our separate functions; when we all acknowledge that both entities have their good and bad drivers, have both pro and con on each side; then I think we will better enable ourselves to use this site to sharpen our business acumen. Until then, haters gonna hate.

Michael - Cleveland

I have to vent. First, you need to know I'm a woman. Second, I'm a licensed chauffeur doing Uber in between my private work. I got my business started 15 years ago being part of the airport lineup (left airport op many years ago). I was black car side but got to know the taxi side as both sides would kill many hours, in line, waiting for our turn for passenger. Point is, I know taxi guys well.

To the present: Two days ago, I'm waiting for my client (private) to come out from surgery. I unexpectedly waited nearly an hour. During this time I was parked just out of the way of the valet and could see all the activity in and out of the building. A yellow taxi pulls in and stops 15ft from the front of my car. Taxi guy is big guy.

To my right I observe three very elderly and frail seniors struggle to stand from the bench they were resting on. Two little ladies and one male. One of the ladies was assisted by a walker. The male was helping her stand. They baby step shuffle toward the cab and I watch the taxi guy, wondering why he is not already out of that driver seat to help these people. I think to myself he is doing some paperwork or something and doesn't notice his passengers are struggling to reach his minivan. He had auto-opened the sliding rear passenger door of his minivan but never budged from his driver seat. It takes no time for me to KNOW he sees his passengers but still remains seated.

The little lady with the walker, assisted by the other little old lady, has managed to get one foot up on the step rail...but is stuck..she cannot manage more footing. The driver remains in driver seat. I quickly jump out... I had refrained from instinctively helping because I JUST KNEW that driver was going to get out and help ... right? With authority, (My background is medicine. I have much experience physically assisting patients), I quickly move in and physically pick this lady up and place her in her seat. (yes, she is that small and frail). At the moment I placed her comfortably in seat, my arms still wrapped around her back and legs...my face is one foot from the driver. I turn and stare at him. No one wants to be on the receiving end of my death stares. I didn't blink. I said, "Pop the trunk." I start breaking down her walker and continue to glance up at driver. He pops the trunk and FINALLY gets out of his seat and comes to the trunk to load the walker that I had folded for him. I promptly returned to my car continuing to "death stare" him in disbelief.

I felt ashamed. I felt so angry I was almost in tears. How dare he. Who is so empty at heart that they could just SIT THERE and not help someone in need like that. Customer or not. I know he wasn't from this country. That is the best sense I can make of it. I know no other culture but mine.

Your story is heartbreaking (and infuriating) - but you're conflating two issues.
Taxi's aren't 'out'... lousy service is out.
I hope you called the cab company claiming to be a hospital employee and filed a complaint. I hope you went inside to let the folks at the greeting desk to watch out for that driver/company.
But don't toss the baby out with the bath water.
The chances of your two little old ladies using a smart phone to hail for an Uber are pretty slim too -
and who's to say a rideshare driver would be any better? Luck of the draw.

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

I don't think Taxi's are outdated or even on the verge of becoming extinct. I also don't think Uber is the next great savior. When the "extinct cabbies" and the "Elitist Uber drivers" begin to see we are all needed in our separate functions; when we all acknowledge that both entities have their good and bad drivers, have both pro and con on each side;
I have stated more than once that I am convinced that rideshare has its place. Even I am running both, although I still prefer the cab. The only reason that I prefer the cab is that currently, there is no m oney in rideshare.

I would shy from the terminology "separate functions", but I do understand what you are trying to state. Each has its place in the ground transportation for hire business. The rideshare business is meeting needs that the cabs and limousines have not been meeting. The cabs and limousines can meet needs that the rideshare drivers can not or do not.

Your statement about the good and bad drivers is not inaccurate. A random perusal of the various topics on this forum alone will give credence to your statements.

1. you're conflating two issues. Taxi's aren't 'out'... lousy service is out.

2. The chances of your two little old ladies using a smart phone to hail for an Uber are pretty slim too -

3. and who's to say a rideshare driver would be any better? Luck of the draw.
1. You do understand that you have posted this remark to the incorrect topic. I suspect that this is precisely that at which we have been trying to arrive during our little discussion on your other topic. We seem to have failed to get there due to any number of factors. It can not be denied that the TNCs have pushed the cabs and limousines into rendering better service and improving the attitudes of some drivers. There are, however, some who never will learn/understand.

2. While this is true, for now, there are some little old ladies who are using Uber Taxi or UberX (see my remarks about letting the elderly sit in the front).

3. Again, a perusal of select posts/topics on this forum alone will provide a basis for that statement.

KGB7

Yet, old lady chose Taxi over Uber. :rolleyes:
Did you show the old lady how to use Uber app? No? Shame on you.

Ive spoken to several Taxi drivers, and taxis are not toast. Ive gotten same response every time; we are in the same shit together, and the guy on top makes all the money.

You waited for an hour. How much did you make from waiting?

Last edited:

20yearsdriving

3) He wasn't doing jack-shit but being lazy.. actually, "lazy" is something I understand.. but "heartless, is more fitting here"

"very nice of you to help even though not your fare. and I hope you know he never got out of the seat to help her out either . lol"

WHAT?
Yep he'll be driving uber soon..,

20yearsdriving

I don't think Taxi's are outdated or even on the verge of becoming extinct. I also don't think Uber is the next great savior. Somewhere in between those, lie us all. When the "extinct cabbies" and the "Elitist Uber drivers" begin to see we are all needed in our separate functions; when we all acknowledge that both entities have their good and bad drivers, have both pro and con on each side; then I think we will better enable ourselves to use this site to sharpen our business acumen. Until then, haters gonna hate.
Amen !!

KGB7

WHAT?
4 reasons you will always be poor, but God loves you less for hating on another person, so there is 50/50 chance you might go to hell.

While you hating, build an Ark and send those immigrants back to their country. Vote Trump 2016.
Oh wait, you are descendant of an Immigrant.

KGB7

1: he didn't help because he could get sued 2: he didn't help because the clients could call the company and complain and loses his job 3: get off your high horse
4. Driver is not a registered/licensed nurse to handle old/sick people.

OP.

You should be pissed off at the family and friends of that old lady that werent there to pick her up. You should also be pissed off that your PAXs friends or family didnt pick him/her up from the hospital.