1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

TAXI DRIVERS GET TIPPED

Discussion in 'Tips' started by Sita, Oct 16, 2016.

1. martnov

martnov Member

A month ago I bought the sign and placed it in the car. I had made a little research and best thing that happen to other drivers was getting 5 stars more. So my expectations were not high. A month later from getting no tips, I have earned this month around $30. And the 5 stars have increased as I had suspected. I think that this could be an option .

Attached Files:

Talha123 likes this.
  2. phillipzx3

phillipzx3 Well-Known Member

You ARE Ubers *****. You drive at break even rates, yet brag how cheap Uber is and how expensive cabs are. What is your problem with a driver earning a living?

$1.40 a mile. That's the difference between Uber (in Portland) and a cab. By the time Uber gets done piling on the extras (safe ride, $6 "flag drop" and/or surge rates) Uber is about the same as a cab.

People are so inconsiderate and cheap, you say? Then you complain about cabs? The reason Uber came to be is for cheap and inconsiderate passengers. Cabs didn't serve these ass-hats fast enough, so Uber gave it a go. Now Uber is full of cherry-picking complainers. Pot, meet kettle.

If you want tips, go be a cab driver or an "exotic" dancer.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Talha123, grams777, Geno71 and 2 others like this.
  3. Janice Record

Janice Record New Member

Talha123 likes this.
  4. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi

The difference in orlando is $1.64ish at highway speeds and $2.87 a mile in moderate traffic.
    .65 per mile plus 11c per minute
    2.40 per mile plus 45c per minute under 20 MPH

Highway speed 60MPH
    .76ish uber
    2.40 taxi
    $1.64 difference

slow traffic (at 19 MPH)
    .88 per mile Uber
    3.75 per mile taxi
    $2.87 difference

uber is 31% the cost of a taxi at highway speeds in orlando
    and 23% in heavy traffic.

Grand total taxis are about 3-4 times more expensive 3 times for highway, 4 times for heavy traffic. The tips in a taxi often end up exceeding an UberX payout with no surge these days. The differences in how it's calculated make it vary between 3-4 times as much.

Cab drivers still get cheap people... just not as many as we used to... I get fewer grocery store runs than before uber came to town.

Talha123 and grams777 like this.
  5. Janice Record

Janice Record New Member

I think since uber is making billions of dollars that they should encourage their pax to tip their drivers . It doesn't cost them anything. Drivers would be happier and even drive more. They advertise MAKE UP TO $35 per hour. More like $10-15

Talha123 likes this.

6. BeerMoneyTx

BeerMoneyTx New Member

Has anybody tried putting a tip jar inside your car somewhere lol

Talha123 likes this.
  7. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    For me it doesn't do a whole lot, as people either tip on credit or tell me to keep the change or ask for a specific amount of change.

I had a friend who is now working for an airport shuttle service and he says that he gets a lot of small bill stuffed in his tip jar. His 9 year old daughter made a tip jar and Bedazzled it with "Please tip my daddy" and he says that it works pretty well.

Just remember this simple points when having a tip jar.

1. people are more likely to put tips in an empty jar
    2. people are more likely to steal from a full one
    3. some people simply never tip at all and you have to not be a &%$@!* about it. I can't tell you the number of times that a passenger hasn't tipped me until "AFTER" i have unloaded their bags/stroller/ect from the car.

8. shiftydrake

shiftydrake Well-Known Member

I think it is absolutely hilarious that Uber even started saying tips aren't necessary......this way they rake in most of the cheap people....then Uber drivers always say "we are much better than taxis".......or "we aren't taxis"....yet they want or expect tips but fail to realize that Uber drivers are unlicensed unregulated illegal taxi cabs in the eyes of taxi laws if you are dead set on receiving tips become a real taxi cab driver

Geno71 likes this.
  9. BeerMoneyTx

BeerMoneyTx New Member

I have yet to get a tip from a passenger. It frustrates me like crazy as I am a bartender too and use to people tipping.

10. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

Adding a "tip option" on the app would help, but mostly with business customers.

Folks on business trips get either reimbursed for their travel expenses (including tips) or get to deduct them if they are self employed themselves.

No tip option on the app basically means that the tips are coming solely out of their own pocket- not nearly as likely.

11. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This chick writes this tipping complaint about 30 minutes after she posted this in the new People section: "Über noob! 2 months in & loving it! Especially tips"
    She is sexier than Karen Stein's Getty image, for sure. These dirty molls.

Shangsta likes this.
  12. Polomarko

Polomarko Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Strike is only solution. Uber is a Scam, it was and it will be until drivers force Uber to put tip option on the platform.

13. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    Uber ruined tipping for us.

They built a completely new business model centered on non tipping and here we are trying to convince people to tip. It's like tipping the McDonalds counter order taker...

No one does it...

grams777 likes this.
  14. DRider85

DRider85 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Well we need to speak up. Now I do think we should get at least a buck or two for most rides. Why would Uber promote no tips?

15. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    To make their services that much cheaper than the alternatives without making it cheaper on uber's end.

Lowestformofwit and I_Like_Spam like this.
  16. yeahTHATuberGVL

yeahTHATuberGVL Active Member

Riders are still at fault, just not as bad as drivers make it seem. They're using a cashless service for convenience, but if the service is good, it's still worth a tip if you've got cash on you. I've had many people talk about having cash for babysitters or tips at the bar, but hop out without even a thought of tipping me. Uber may have discouraged it, but people used that premise as an excuse to be cheap.

RamzFanz likes this.
  17. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

How is Uber deceptive about our expenses? If anything it's the drivers who are deceptive.

Yes, we can know what our lost equity is because we have KBB and other sites that can give you year beginning and ending real world sale prices for your vehicle and region. Not to the penny, but very close.

Just stop already. While the disgruntled and poor drivers may be vocal, I make very good money Ubering as do many drivers.

There is nothing terrible about Ubering if you are making wise business decisions.

18. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    Well... I'm going to say that your point is partially true, depending on what market your in.

The Orlando rates are 60% as much per minute as you get and a mere 54% as much per mile as your getting.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/orlando/st-louis

5% lower cost of living, and almost double the uber rates.

Enjoy your sky high rates while they last, the only thing consistent about uber rates is that they consistently fall year to year.

grams777 likes this.
  19. grams777

grams777 Moderator Moderator

The same pax who also use Uber, I've also taken in a taxi. And they tip in the taxi but not on Uber. I've even had some people forget at first that they were using a taxi instead of Uber and they still tipped.

It's pretty easy to consistently get 20% tips in taxi. The payment system you use can also help a lot depending on how it defaults the tipping option.

My opinion is that ultimate reason that Uber does not want tips is because it is super greedy and only wants charges that it can collect commissions on. The other excuses it gives are hogwash.

Lyft isn't too much better. They converted what used to be prime time tips (100% to driver) to prime time (pay commission on it). That's a problem because tips almost disappear during prime time.

From what I've seen Lyft also undercuts uber in price somewhat so that it takes tips on Lyft just to make up the difference. They also count your tips against various promotions. And, I still don't see anywhere near 20% consistent tipping on average with Lyft.

Now, although you don't get 1 starred in taxi driving, the feeling of not getting a tip (on non account fares) is relatively rare and feels similar.

Even many people barely scraping by in a minimum wage job would tip in a taxi ride. But people dropping $100 on a night of drinks or $200 on a concert ticket to be entertained, usually don't tip anything on a half the price Uber for the drivers with their lives in their hands.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  20. Geno71

Geno71 Well-Known Member

I agree with grams777, it is my guess too that Uber doesn't want to add an option simply because they can't collect their percentage from it. Can't think of any other legitimate reason.

grams777 likes this.