1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

TAXI DRIVERS GET TIPPED

Discussion in 'Tips' started by Sita, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Sita

Sita New Member

These outrageous taxi prices yet they still get tipped. Why don't people tip their uber drivers? Especially when your ride was only $5!!!! I feel as of these passsengers don't have any respect for uber drivers!! We are not your b!tches! People are so inconsiderate and cheap!

2. NachonCheeze

NachonCheeze Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    true dat...I would be happy with $2 tip.....No tips and the lack of surges is why I hardly drive anymore

Talha123, JoeD16 and Sita like this.
  3. Sita

Sita New Member

Exactly what I say, if everyone would tip $2 it would be great! Even for gas! Especially if I'm the only ├╝ber driver in your areA! I'm driving 12-15min to get you and you're only going 4miles down and I don't even get a thank you for coming to get me!

Talha123, unPat and JoeD16 like this.
  4. shiftydrake

shiftydrake Well-Known Member

I thought tips were included.....;) also if you want tipped 80-90% of the rides you give.....drive a taxi....I do

Talha123 and TaninLa like this.
  5. WBdriving

WBdriving Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    It's all psychological. People who spend less on something automatically feel it's worth less but if they over spend on something they feel it's of better quality.

6. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi

There's this false belief that the Taxi drivers only get the tips plus the tip minimum wage per hour. (for Florida for example, it would theoretically be $5.03 per hour plus tips)

Because people have been hard coded and programmed to believe it, they view taking a taxi like having a waitress at a restaurant, tipping is just the way it is... With uber however they view it as walking up to the counter at burger king, no tip needed.

In reality...
    I'm only paying the cab company about 1/3 of the meter or less and i'm keeping 75% of the meter or more, with another 1/10 of the meter going to gas/tolls. ($216 in a night on the meter, gives me about $240-250 in total revenue, 33% going to the cab company)
    On monday for instance out of $275 on the meter, $330 total I paid the cab company $72, $15 in gas and tolls and kept over $200.
    So for monday the cab company only got 21% of my meter.
    It's the cab companies car.

The reality is...

Cab drivers have and always will make more money than the IRS or anyone ever thought they did. Cheating on taxes is entirely too easy when you are dealing with as much cash as we are. Monday night i could have made $30+ in cash tips disappear without a second thought. Or even written up a $20 fare or 2 as failure to pay/runner. I have had as much as $300 completely off the meter in a single day, in cash.

Uber drivers on the other hand make Far less then people believe they do... because A.. uber deceptive about the drivers expenses... and B, you have no idea what your car is even costing you per mile until you sell the car and can total everything up.

You have unfortunately picked the wrong gig.
    Uber is simply the a terrible decision, this tipping issue is just one of the MANY reasons that it's a terrible job. In Orlando the difference is so bad that the tip ALONE in a taxi can EXCEED the entire uberX payout especially on a relatively short trip.

Talha123, Cigars, JamesM and 5 others like this.
  7. Steven Ambrose

Steven Ambrose Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Taxi drivers get very belligerent about it when you don't tip. The one and only time that I took a taxi was from the Florida Fairgrounds to my home. The guy was weaving in and out of traffic on I-4 and I-275, spoke very little to me (and very little English at that), said some rather derogatory things about a lady walking across at a cross walk, and then finally turned the radio up at an insane level because he did not want me to give him any directions in St. Pete, when he clearly didn't know where he was going because his "territory" was Tampa.

After $61 of that and no tip, he got nasty and proceeded to call the police. He illegally detained me and once the police arrived, his English got a lot better. The St. Pete police officer just rolled her eyes and stated that I did NOT have to tip him. He was so furious over this. I finally asked if I had to stay and officer said "No". Thank goodness, I live in a large apartment complex and my apartment door does not face the road, so he had no idea which apartment I lived in.

Editted to add: If none of the stuff occurred, the taxi driver would have got tipped, just like I try to tip the people that drive for Uber.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  8. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    More than likely if he hadn't been such a cotton-headed ninny-muggins, your experience would have been a lot better....

Like you said you probably would have tipped him if he wasn't such a .... "insert profanity here"

There are wrong ways and right ways to handle these situations... what the BLEEP BLEEP did was the wrong way all around.

Some drivers can be total pricks about tips. These people... well... They exist.

These people are the reason that you don't tip... IT's ok to not to tip people like this.

Whenever I don't get a tip...

Well let me just say that I have programmed myself to say "Have a great day!" and force a smile every time i want to say... "YEah well ..___ you you ____ing Cheap____ go ___ yourself."

And not letting someone out of the car can vary from unlawful detainment to kidnapping.

I guess i just learned how to do this job with Disney breathing down my back...

Talha123 and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  9. Steven Ambrose

Steven Ambrose Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Great self censoring, Mears. Good service gets tipped, at least at 15%. Great service is at 20%. Uber drivers get more, for the simple fact, I know what they are paid. I normally tip 25% to offset the fee they are charged from Uber. I had a newbie state to me "You are a driver too.... you know you don't have to tip". I laughed and let him know he would grow out of that habit real quickly.

10. UberJoe427

UberJoe427 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I will never utter the words ( NO TIP REQUIRED ).

Talha123 likes this.
  11. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

The Uber website emphasizes the convenience of Uber, how tipping isn't necessary, how its cashless and when the passenger gets to their destination all they have to do is hop out.

I'm sure that those passengers respect you, and many aren't really cheap. They just saw the Uber literature and have figured that tipping is a major faux pas on Uber.

Talha123 likes this.
  12. HansGr.Uber

HansGr.Uber Member

Blame Uber, not the riders; they've made sure to drill the selling point that tips ~ARE INCLUDED IN THE PRICE~ as a way to draw people in. Most riders think that drivers cannot accept tips at all, or they could get in trouble.

It's a broken system.

Talha123 likes this.
  13. DogPound

DogPound Active Member

I drive for a car service as well as uber. Uber I have never received a tip for the car service 9/10 I get tipped $2-5 on every local run which is minimum $8 fare. More expensive runs ill get $5-10 each. Uber pax are cheap hence why they use a cheap service like uber.

Talha123 likes this.
  14. I_Like_Spam

The only thing that Uber could really do at this point in time would be if they discontinued the "Uber" name and brand and came up with something else.

The problem with that would be that Uber has spent so much on the Uber name which is associated with high tech and ultra-low-cost transport, that would be hard to do.

Talha123 likes this.
  15. Janice Record

Janice Record New Member

Talha123 likes this.
  16. Janice Record

Janice Record New Member

I totally agree. Bartenders. Waitress, hairdressers. Cab drivers everyone gets tips gor their service. Amazed people dont tip uber drivers

Talha123 and grams777 like this.
  17. HansGr.Uber

HansGr.Uber Member

There is absolutely no way that is happening.
    The branding behind Uber is so well done and, obviously, not cheap.
    They're not getting rid of it so that their underpaid drivers can get more tips.

Something does need to be done, however. I don't blame riders at all for the lack of tips; I blame the company that discourages it.

Talha123 likes this.
  18. Janice Record

Janice Record New Member

Then eberyone should drive for
    lyft where they care about their drivers

Talha123 likes this.
  19. Janice Record

Janice Record New Member

Well said

Talha123 likes this.
  20. I_Like_Spam

The pitfall of that idea is that most of the passengers are using the Uber app, only a minority are using the Lyft.

Talha123 and Shangsta like this.