• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Taxi company may be ending third shift

FormerTaxiDriver♧

It was really busy before Uber came in, during bar hours; but that has dwindled down. Now, the occasional drug run or domestic issue calls the base for a quick escapade by taxi. I quit working those hours. Even when I drove for Uber/Lyft, the bullshit was not worth it anymore as I aged.

Most of my fellow cabbies have moved on to regular jobs, and whatever gig that seemed profitable, or away from taxation. I'm just about the only driver working now, in the morning. When I paid my lease yesterday, the manager asked me "what hours do I work?"

Time is nigh.

FormerTaxiDriver♧

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mears taxi is virtually done with running cars 24/7

They instituted a 24 hour lease that the vast majority of shift drivers do,

9:00 am to 9:00 am, barely more rental than the 12 hour rates.

Then the drivers can pick their own hours and take the car home even if they are on shift and not on weekly rental.
I was a weekly driver for Capital Yellow Cab back in the 1990s. Week: $345.00; Day $65.00; Night $47.00.

Now, Unnamed Taxi Company is $95.00 24/hrs or $70.00 6am-6pm.

Violent crimes have increased with the summer heat!

Last edited:

peteyvavs

It was really busy before Uber came in, during bar hours; but that has dwindled down. Now, the occasional drug run or domestic issue calls the base for a quick escapade by taxi. I quit working those hours. Even when I drove for Uber/Lyft, the bullshit was not worth it anymore as I aged.

Most of my fellow cabbies have moved on to regular jobs, and whatever gig that seemed profitable, or away from taxation. I'm just about the only driver working now, in the morning. When I paid my lease yesterday, the manager asked me "what hours do I work?"

Time is nigh.
If taxi companies didn’t keep raping passengers on fares and lease cost for drivers Uber and lyft wouldn’t exist today. Taxi companies brought this upon themselves.

RabbleRouser

Time is nigh.
cabbies have moved on to regular jobs”
What are these “regular jobs” 🚕 cabbies have moved on to?

Trafficat

Then the drivers can pick their own hours and take the car home even if they are on shift and not on weekly rental.
That would make driving Taxi just about as appealing as driving for Uber, so long as the fares could make up for the rental fees.

RideshareUSA

If taxi companies didn’t keep raping passengers on fares and lease cost for drivers Uber and lyft wouldn’t exist today. Taxi companies brought this upon themselves.
Not that I care about either industry, however your argument is laughable at best. So as I'm sure you will, let's hear your well organized, intelligent rebuttal.

doyousensehumor

Thats funny. Uber lyft now charges the pax about the same as taxis. Lease costs were never an issue. The bases sell a product to the drivers. If the call volume is not adequate, less drivers will buy that lease. All that matters to an individual driver it's the passenger to driver ratio. AKA supply and demand.

What taxi companies brought upon themselves, was not upgrading their dispatch systems.
Post automatically merged:

What's great about a 24 lease is that you don't have to check in your cabs and your radio station and mirrors stay the same. You can do your own swing shift like noon to midnight.

Last edited:

FormerTaxiDriver♧

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep there was one day-driver i always hated. If he just got out, the leftover back sweat would go through next drivers shirt..
The thing about driving cabs is the passenger does not rate the trip on cleanliness, and etcetera. With that being said, I can skip car washes when rain is in the forecast; however, I won't let it get trashed up like many drivers do.

W00dbutcher

Obviously a person does not know s*** about the taxi industry if this is what they believe. There is a price point set for a reason. Insurance, maintenance, advertising, excetera excetera excetera.

You cry about making peanuts for a fair. It's nobody's fault but your own. I've been doing this for five years it may not seem like a lot but I tell you what I make damn good money being a taxi driver. But I'm also the position where I'm smart enough to where I can use Uber to fill in where I am slow. When my wheels are turning I'm getting paid.

The taxi driver is a his own boss and business. The ones that can work it and run an honest and fair business as a taxi driver will be around for a long time. I know guys that have been doing it for 20 some years.

All hail taxi!

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Thats funny. Uber lyft now charges the pax about the same as taxis. Lease costs were never an issue. The bases sell a product to the drivers. If the call volume is not adequate, less drivers will buy that lease. All that matters to an individual driver it's the passenger to driver ratio. AKA supply and demand.
100% correct. When the price advantage disapppears (which it is slowly being whittled away) The customers are much more likely to take a smelly cab, especially when it's pouring down rain or there isn't a price advantage and the cabs are queued up.

"Your lucky, if you hadn't been right at the lobby right when we needed a ride to the airport we would have called an uber"

"You mean at the hotel taxi stand at 5:00 AM? We kinda Queue up at these major hotels because there's always people who need rides to the airport, especially on big checkout days like today, there's over 1000 checkouts from the Hyatt today"

What taxi companies brought upon themselves, was not upgrading their dispatch systems.
Who says they didn't?
Mears taxi has had an app based dispatch operating YEARS before uber came to town, first it was Taxi-magic than an in house proprietary system.

You can do your own swing shift like noon to midnight.
That's EXACTLY the advantage. Or around here.... modify your shift to meet/follow the actual trends. Let's say Magic Kingdom closes at 9:00 PM most of the year, except for summer season where it closes later, you can tweak your shift to follow the actual closing time.

8:00 pm rolls around, your one load out of the airport away from pushing you from $50 in profit to $100 in profit. On a 12 hour shift... you might be forced to get out of line and give up, but in a 24 hour rental your not. You can stick it out and get 2 more airport loads, and be at $150 in profit.

Also let's be honest, if it's slow one day on 24 hour rental you can go home and take a siesta if it's slow and try back later, on a 12 hour your forced to stick it out and pray.

dirtylee

The problem with cabs stems from the fact that the cab companies customer IS the driver, not the pax. Hence no efforts were really made across the industry to improve the experience for pax.

Uber x at the same price as cab is slightly better on average. For half the price, it's flat out ridiculous.