Taxes and Bookkeeping for Uber Drivers

sixspur

Thanks Paul. 1st October is coming up.... first quarterly payment to the CRA for the HST is due. Any tips on HST-relevant deductions? apart from the standard stuff?

EddyStone

Turbo tax has a lot of good information as well. If you are not number or business savvy like a lot of drivers, I'd recommend going with an accountant. I do find the accounting software very intuitive especially if you are organized and stay on top of things throughout the year.

EddyStone

What free app do you guys use to track kms?
In your monthly and yearly tax summary Uber gives you a total of your on trip mileage. I'm not sure why you'd need anything beyond that. I also took a picture of my odometer on January 1st. Maybe you might need a 3rd app to track your mileage, maybe someone can indicate why that would be necessary.

In your monthly and yearly tax summary Uber gives you a total of your on trip mileage. I'm not sure why you'd need anything beyond that. I also took a picture of my odometer on January 1st. Maybe you might need a 3rd app to track your mileage, maybe someone can indicate why that would be necessary.

Doesn't Uber just give you actual trip Kms? Kms driving to the pick up should be tracked as well because they are considered business kms.

Happy Paul

"Note that the Uber app tracks the kilometres you drive, but in many cases, for tax purposes, you can include more kilometres than the apps tracks. To explain, the Uber app historically only tracks your kilometres when you have a fare in the car. However, from a tax perspective, you should also count the kilometres you drive to pick up your fares as well. To simplify the process, you may want to use a GPS-enabled driving app that you start at the beginning of your shift and turn off at the end – some apps even combine kilometre tracking with expense tracking".

AJsh

75% of the Km I put on my car is for Uber. I Spoke to an accountant and he asked me to keep track of the total KM and take 75% of it.