Uber Drivers Forum banner
81 - 100 of 462 Posts
If tolls were reimbursed they're not expenses. If they weren't reimbursed they are expenses.
In my market all tolls automatically reimbursed by lyft and uber.
How or where should we report reimbursed toll fees in turbo tax? If they are not expenses then what they are? I don't think we should report it as a taxable income either because i used my own cash to get pax @ss over the bridge.

How or where should we report reimbursed toll fees in turbo tax? If they are not expenses then what they are? I don't think we should report it as a taxable income either because i used my own cash to get pax @ss over the bridge.
I leave my reimbursed tolls in my earnings and list all the tolls I paid as an expense.
I guess one could take their earnings and deduct the tolls reimbursed and report that number as earnings and not deduct tolls paid as expenses.

Both methods would net the same results, and if properly documented in your records I would not be concerned with using one method over the other. The IRS may have a preferred method for this, I just don't know it.

I leave my reimbursed tolls in my earnings and list all the tolls I paid as an expense.
I guess one could take their earnings and deduct the tolls reimbursed and report that number as earnings and not deduct tolls paid as expenses.

Both methods would net the same results, and if properly documented in your records I would not be concerned with using one method over the other. The IRS may have a preferred method for this, I just don't know it.
That's what I do to,

It's makes accounting way easier especially when uber/lyft are a battle to get paid on tolls. Having to change things from one catagory to another is a complicated convuluted mess.

Or am i the only person who had 5+ support tickets for tolls AT ANY GIVEN TIME.

That's what I do to,

It's makes accounting way easier especially when uber/lyft are a battle to get paid on tolls. Having to change things from one catagory to another is a complicated convuluted mess.

Or am i the only person who had 5+ support tickets for tolls AT ANY GIVEN TIME.
Every trip I do includes a support ticket for tolls, I have 7 open right now.

Discussion starter · #86 ·
They're a wash. Adding them as income then deducting the expense creates a wash. Deducting them without adding in the reimbursement is called "double dipping"

hello! really nice of you to offer this help! i could definitely use some.. i made less than $4000 doing uber last year, as i had a W2 job taking up most of my time. i didnt make enough to get a 1099, so im filing it under schedule C. so am i all good to take the standard deduction even though i made less than $12,000? (note: i did make well over $12,000 including my W2 income). also, i didnt pay quarterly taxes.. will this come back to bite me in the ass even though i only did it as a side gig?

Discussion starter · #88 ·
hello! really nice of you to offer this help! i could definitely use some.. i made less than $4000 doing uber last year, as i had a W2 job taking up most of my time. i didnt make enough to get a 1099, so im filing it under schedule C. so am i all good to take the standard deduction even though i made less than $12,000? (note: i did make well over $12,000 including my W2 income). also, i didnt pay quarterly taxes.. will this come back to bite me in the ass even though i only did it as a side gig?
All your income W2 and schedule c will be combined to determine the tax you pay. On your schedule C you'll put your uber income and expenses. If your expenses are close to or more than your uber income no bite in the ass. You're good to take the standard deduction of $12K if your filing single.

If you are taking the Standard Mileage deduction - make sure you have a mileage log. You don't have to submit it with your taxes, but you are required to have a mileage log that matches your tax returns. ExpressMileage makes logs super fast for this purpose. Or you can use MileIQ to track while you drive.

Finished my taxes last night, what a relief. I was within $10 of my estimate, not bad for an amateur. Just increased my withholding at my day job so hopefully I don't owe as much next year.

thank you guys! ive been working on my taxes for the past few weeks (including cleaning up the rookie mistake of not keeping a log for '18, which took up most of those few weeks), ive been determined to try to figure out how to do this myself instead of paying someone or having someone file for me. it wasnt much fun, but i learned so much thats going to help me for years to come. this may be my first time posting here, but its DEFINATELY not my first time being here as ive combed thru these threads countless times looking for specific tidbits of information so i just wanted to thank all of you guys again! you guys are great! yall remind me of ryan gosling in "drive" ;)

thank you guys! ive been working on my taxes for the past few weeks (including cleaning up the rookie mistake of not keeping a log for '18, which took up most of those few weeks), ive been determined to try to figure out how to do this myself instead of paying someone or having someone file for me. it wasnt much fun, but i learned so much thats going to help me for years to come. this may be my first time posting here, but its DEFINATELY not my first time being here as ive combed thru these threads countless times looking for specific tidbits of information so i just wanted to thank all of you guys again! you guys are great! yall remind me of ryan gosling in "drive" :wink:
And thank you for doing some research before posting! A rare occurrence here.

if you take the standard mileage rate, are you still able to deduct the business usage of your cellphone plan? and anything else? ive gotten slightly mixed answers. also, im using freetaxusa as my software and its definately saying i CAN deduct the business usage of the interest on my car loan along with the standard deduction..

if you take the standard deduction, are you still able to deduct the business usage of your cellphone plan? and anything else? ive gotten slightly mixed answers. also, im using freetaxusa as my software and its definately saying i CAN deduct the business usage of the interest on my car loan along with the standard deduction..
Not sure what you're calling the "standard deduction". There's a standard dection where you don't itemize deductible expenses and there's the Standard Mileage Rate where you don't itemize business car expenses, but instead apply a mileage rate based on business trips.

In the former you would not (I believe), but in the latter I believe you can.
If you use the standard mileage rate, you are still allowed to deduct the following three actual expenses:

• Interest on a car loan
  • Parking fees and tolls for business trips
  • Personal property tax that you paid when you bought the vehicle, based on its value.
You can deduct these items because they do not factor into the standard mileage rate amount.
With the usual disclaimer, i.e. jmho

if you take the standard deduction, are you still able to deduct the business usage of your cellphone plan? and anything else? ive gotten slightly mixed answers. also, im using freetaxusa as my software and its definately saying i CAN deduct the business usage of the interest on my car loan along with the standard deduction..
Yes, the percentage of cell phone and percentage of car loan interest go on Schedule C this is a business expense, nothing to do with your standard deduction. Of course you need proper mileage logs for percentage of car loan interest.

Title Fees - ??? Not sure
Spotify - I would say yes based on percentage of use. I deduct XM radio costs based on percentage of use of my car from my mileage logs.
Car Washes - This one can be tricky. Generally they are included in the standard mileage deduction. If you need a detailed cleaning as a direct result of rideshare I would say yes as long as you properly document it. I read another opinion on car washes that basically said if you have proof that you washed your car once per month before you started rideshare and now you have to wash it weekly, that you could deduct 3 of the 4 car washes each month in addition to standard mileage deduction. How could you prove the number of car washes before starting rideshare? Could be a risky deduction in my opinion.

i bought my car in 2018, can i write off the title fees? getting slightly conflicting info from some websites about what you can and cant deduct as business expenses if youre taking the standard mileage rate. some are saying you CAN write off car washes and spotify, and some are saying thats double dipping..
https://www.taxslayer.com/blog/rideshare-drivers-avoid-these-5-common-tax-mistakes/ says:
If you use the standard method for calculating your deduction, you should not also be deducting itemized expenses. These include things like car washes, gas, maintenance, depreciation, fees, insurance, repairs, oil, tires, registration, or lease payments. The standard method accounts for these and allows you to deduct a flat rate of 54.5 cents/mile. Writing off these individual expenses when you use the standard method is actually double-dipping. You could wind up with a big penalty from the IRS if you are caught.

however, this one:
says:
Deduction #9: Commissions/Fees
Tax Category: Business Expenses
This is where your yearly summaries for Lyft and Uber come into play. Find your Lyft commissions section and your Uber expenses, fees, and taxes section on your yearly summaries. These are what you will deduct as commissions/fees. Any commission or fee Uber or Lyft took from your earnings is deductible.
Deduction #10: Dashboard Camera
Not only is it smart to have a dashboard camera, but its also deductible. Deduction amounts relies on personal/business use percentage.
Deduction #11: Butt/Back Pad
Did you buy any tailbone/support products for ridesharing? First off, they make driving long hours far more bearable. Second, you can deduct them.
Deduction #12: Cell Phone and Data Plan
If you bought a cell phone just for rideshare purposes you can deduct the whole phone. If you are using a new phone that you use for personal and business purposes you can deduct a percentage of your cell phone that you use for business. Also, you can deduct a portion of your of cellular data plan as well.
Deduction #13: Roadside Assistance Plans
Did you buy AAA or other roadside assistance plans for ridesharing? If so you can deduct all costs of these plans from your taxes. If you bought it before find the percentage between personal and business use of the plans.
Deduction #14: Music Subscriptions
Did you purchase any music subscription programs like Apple Music, Spotify Premium or Soundcloud Go for rideshare? If so deduct the cost. If its personal/business deduct the appropriate business use percentage.
Deduction #15: Phone Mount
Unless you had one provided for you, you bought a phone mount. Deduct it.
Deduction #16: Phone Chargers
Did you buy additional cell phone chargers for yourself and your passengers? Deduct them!
Deduction #17: Snacks/Drinks
Candies, water, or any snacks/drinks are all deductible if bought for your rideshare passengers.
Deduction #18: Parking Fees
Did you pay for any parking while driving for Uber and Lyft. Guess what deduct those parking fees!
Deduction #19: Tolls
If you paid for tolls to get anywhere for ridesharing they are deductible. You can also deduct tolls that occurred during your rideshare trips. You can find tolls that you occurred during your rideshare trips under your Uber and Lyft yearly summaries.
Deduction #20: Car Washes
Did ridesharing up your amount of car washes? Write those extra car washes off.
Deduction #21: Cleaning Materials
Did you buy a portable vacuum, lint rollers, or anything that you use to clean your car? Deduct it.
Deduction #22: Seat Covers
Seat covers protect your car from unwanted stains. They also give your car a fresher look. Deduct these.
Deduction #23: Car Mats
Buying all weather car mats not only protects your car, but it also keeps it looking cleaner. Don't forget to deduct these mats.
Deduction #24: Air Fresheners
Did you buy febreeze, essential oils, or a diffuser to make your car smell wonderful for your passengers? Deduct those.
Deduction #25: Massages
Getting a massage a great way to loosen up your tense driving muscles and as long as your doctor prescribes them as medically necessary they are deductible. Go get yourself a tax deductible massage!

I always like to help DIY ride-share tax preparers and this year I've teamed up with UberPeople.net to provide members with a DIY alternative. For only $160 I'll personally prepare and file your ride-share tax return including your state return if necessary! UberTaxPro.com

Just imagine not having to give up valuable driving (or sleeping) time to get your taxes done this year. You won't have to deal with software, the new tax law or any of the other issues DIYers talk about on here everyday. Most importantly, you'll know your taxes were done correctly by a licensed tax pro. (Enrolled Agent)

Let's face it, in the ride-share business time is money. Does it make sense to spend your valuable time getting into a tax project when you have a $160 no hassle alternative right here? Keep driving and leave the tax work to me! Get started here...UberTaxPro.com
I am paying about $400 a month in self-employment tax. This comes out to almost $5000 a year! This doesn't seem right. Am I missing something? I only make about $400 a week driving uber. I already pay a lot in service fees. Please help!

Are you deducting mileage? is that $400 per week before mileage expenses or $400 in deposit from Rideshare?

I am paying about $400 a month in self-employment tax. This comes out to almost $5000 a year! This doesn't seem right. Am I missing something? I only make about $400 a week driving uber. I already pay a lot in service fees. Please help!
Your numbers are screwy. Lets assume that you paid $4,800 for the year in SE tax ($400/month).

Since SE tax is 15.3%, that means that you made at least $31,372 ($4,800 / 0.153) for the year.

Assuming that you drove every single week and made the same amount every week, that means you made $600 per week ($31,372 / 52). If you took any weeks off, then your average for the weeks that you drove should be even higher.

There is absolutely no way that you should be paying $400 per month in SE tax if you are only making $400 per week. In order to pay that much in SE tax, you need to make at least 1.5x that amount.

81 - 100 of 462 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.