• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Tax Time! Ask me anything about Ride-share Taxes

NotanEmployee

this is true for destination travel. from point A to point B. but they allow route miles which is what uber is. a route would be from the moment you turn the app on until you turn it off. for me the start and end address is my house.
Ok, thank goodness! Some guy on this forum was telling me that the IRS will not accept just putting start to finish route...but that I had to do a line item for every single drive! I did not want to have to track it that detailed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]
id go nuts if i had to have addresses, time, odometer for each ride start and end...plus miles in between rides are deductible. sometimes i start or end at a beach or hiking path....so many non address places. even uber lists the address as “US”

i researched this as well. also it was found in a court case that ubers mileage tracking is admissible. any tracking you do on your own will back that up and vice versa. i havent had a tax year yet to compare the uber records to my own though.

UberTaxPro

Past Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, thank goodness! Some guy on this forum was telling me that the IRS will not accept just putting start to finish route...but that I had to do a line item for every single drive! I did not want to have to track it that detailed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
id go nuts if i had to have addresses, time, odometer for each ride start and end...plus miles in between rides are deductible. sometimes i start or end at a beach or hiking path....so many non address places. even uber lists the address as “US”

i researched this as well. also it was found in a court case that ubers mileage tracking is admissible. any tracking you do on your own will back that up and vice versa. i havent had a tax year yet to compare the uber records to my own though.
[/QUOTE]
You should still keep your own log because you might have more business miles than Uber tracks. It is true that that the IRS regulations require you to keep your own log with business destinations marked. You might ultimately be allowed your deductions with the court case on your side but it won't be without effort. First the IRS will request your log and will disallow your deductions without the log. Next you'll have to appeal that ruling with the office of appeals. If that doesn't work you'll have to go to tax court yourself. Overall it's much easier and less expensive to keep a log.

FLKeys

Someone told me that when tracking miles, I cannot simply just track the amount from when I started while on the clock to when I finished...but for each destination, I have to have the start & stop address...in other words, my daily log of miles would be 12 lines if I did 12 trips instead of just (1) line on the excel spreadsheet.

Is this true? If so...ughh!!
I track every leg of my driving. Start to first pick-up,Pick-up to drop off, drop off to next pick-up, etc. I record mileage, address, and description of place (residence, name of business, etc). Sound like a lot, but get into the habit and it really is not. I can make a written entry in my notebook in the time the PAX is getting in and or out. I found Steno Pads work great for me. My entries look like this.
1566573959895.png

Then I enter them into a spread sheet with more detail:

1566574790071.png

And that becomes my mileage log for the IRS