Tax Season is upon us! Ask me Whatever!

UberTaxPro

Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why don't you use the free TurboTax on Uber. To me your figures look right, I'm not a tax professional .
Sounds like you're on the right track. Make sure you take out any reimbursable expenses like tolls out of the equation. Don'f forget your other expenses like cell phone etc..

AsleepAtTheWheel

I am a long-time member here and after last years extensive rideshare tax AMA I think it’s time to start anew. I'll do my best to help with your questions this year. Please be patient as I'll be working with one of the larger remote tax services this year and they are keeping me very busy. Thanks also to everyone else that pitches in with great answers!

If you need help preparing your taxes for 2019 please contact me here: UberTaxPro.com
Is there any possible way to get money back? It was saying since I made so little I could file a w2. Did not thing that was possible for Uber and Lyft. I am kind of retired so drove a little, take time off. Made around 10k last year. I played around with the 1099 form for a bit but whatever I do it says I owe 200. I live in Cali and get taxed way to high on many things so not going to pay. Should I keep playing around? This according to what the government knows is my only form of income.

command3r

If I used my girlfriends car for a couple months for Uber, am I not allowed to use that mileage for the standard deduction?

UberTaxPro

Sponsor
If I used my girlfriends car for a couple months for Uber, am I not allowed to use that mileage for the standard deduction?
no, car has to be in your name or you could have married her in 2019 but to late for that.
Post automatically merged:

Is there any possible way to get money back? It was saying since I made so little I could file a w2. Did not thing that was possible for Uber and Lyft. I am kind of retired so drove a little, take time off. Made around 10k last year. I played around with the 1099 form for a bit but whatever I do it says I owe 200. I live in Cali and get taxed way to high on many things so not going to pay. Should I keep playing around? This according to what the government knows is my only form of income.
The idea is to file a accurate tax return! It's like a math problem in school...there should only be one correct answer!

UberTaxPro

Sponsor
Help UberTaxPro......I've been having a discussion with some other drivers and can use your help.

If you are driving Uber part time and mostly in conjunction with your commute, are you able to deduct all the mileage that the app is on?

For example, I commute 20 miles from work to home with DF on but don't get any pings or rides. Are those 20 miles tax deductible?

I've found conflicting information and even read through IRS Publication 463 with little clarity. Thanks for the help.
If it's clear your intend is to rack up mileage expense & you have no real expectation of making money it's not deductible.

TouchMe

Hello,
in 2018 i got a 1099-MISC from Uber and earned over $600 but under $20,000

but for 2019 I only received a Tax Summary and I earned over $600 but under $20,000

I got an email from Uber saying I will not be getting any 1099 for 2019. Is this right? do I need a 1099-MISC?, how come i got one last year and not this year how do I file the Tax summary info on Turbo Tax?
thanks for any help

BostonTaxiDriver

I have not paid my taxes in two years.

Even worse, I haven't even filed anything, not even estimated earnings.

I can borrow money from my brother to address it.

But is it too late to qualify for unemployment insurance and/or the stimulus money available until July 31?

(I can't be the only rideshare driver who hasn't paid or even filed taxes in a year or more!?)

If someone owes, will they still qualify for stimulus money or unemployment benefits? And will any and all benefits simply be directed to the taxes owed until paid in full?

Should I pay a CPA, Enrolled Agent or even a tax attorney or @UberTaxPro at this point to address my issues?

bounty17

I am a long-time member here and after last years extensive rideshare tax AMA I think it’s time to start anew. I'll do my best to help with your questions this year. Please be patient as I'll be working with one of the larger remote tax services this year and they are keeping me very busy. Thanks also to everyone else that pitches in with great answers!

If you need help preparing your taxes for 2019 please contact me here: UberTaxPro.com

I need to know about these relief checks. I drive for uber and other apps and I unfortunately, I owe money to the IRS. Am I gonna get any kind of relief check at all?

Bounty

Older Chauffeur

Hello,
in 2018 i got a 1099-MISC from Uber and earned over $600 but under $20,000

but for 2019 I only received a Tax Summary and I earned over $600 but under $20,000

I got an email from Uber saying I will not be getting any 1099 for 2019. Is this right? do I need a 1099-MISC?, how come i got one last year and not this year how do I file the Tax summary info on Turbo Tax?
thanks for any help
You receive a 1099misc only if your earnings paid by Uber directly (incentives, commissions, bonuses, etc) are $600 or more. The $20,000 threshold is for customer credit card transactions. Use the tax summary info to fill out Schedules C and SE just as though you got a 1099misc. If you’re using TurboTax there’s a place to report income for which you did not receive a 1099. Hope this helps.

Ritainky

Another Uber driver told me that Uber does not issue a 1099 unless a driver makes at least $20,000. Is that true??? It sounds so wrong lol.

UberTaxPro

Sponsor
Another Uber driver told me that Uber does not issue a 1099 unless a driver makes at least $20,000. Is that true??? It sounds so wrong lol
There's about 15 different kind of 1099's. 1099-M is issued for $600+, 1099-K is issued for 20K+
Uber issues both, driving income comes on the 1099-K

Older Chauffeur

First, when you file this year shouldn’t affect your stimulus (they aren’t calling it that :laugh: ) as they will go by your electronic deposit/payment information from 2018. If you didn’t file that way last year (wrote or received a paper check) you will get a paper check later on.
Re your tax returns, use the Uber gross on your Schedule C, then show their fees as a deduction. That will leave your gross, just as the form indicates. That amount should match your bank deposits. From your gross you then subtract mileage, cell phone, and any other related expenses to arrive at your net profit or loss. If your net is at least $400 you will need to file a Schedule SE and pay 15.3% of your net in contributions to Social Security and Medicare.
I hope you have kept a mile log, in case you have more than Uber is showing.
Are you using a tax preparation program such as TurboTax? It will walk you through the process.
You have until July 15 to file, so take your time and do it right. Good luck. If it’s still too confusing, you should consider having a tax professional prepare your returns. You can PM @UberTaxPro, the OP of this thread and he can help you.

command3r

If you owe taxes, do you have to pay them right away when you file it to the IRS?

or can I file now so my updated bank information is with the IRS then pay later at the deadline.

UberTaxPro

Sponsor
If you owe taxes, do you have to pay them right away when you file it to the IRS?

or can I file now so my updated bank information is with the IRS then pay later at the deadline.
It's always better to file even if you can't pay with the return and this year you're not late until 7/15. So yes file away!

First, when you file this year shouldn’t affect your stimulus (they aren’t calling it that :laugh: ) as they will go by your electronic deposit/payment information from 2018. If you didn’t file that way last year (wrote or received a paper check) you will get a paper check later on.
Re your tax returns, use the Uber gross on your Schedule C, then show their fees as a deduction. That will leave your gross, just as the form indicates. That amount should match your bank deposits. From your gross you then subtract mileage, cell phone, and any other related expenses to arrive at your net profit or loss. If your net is at least $400 you will need to file a Schedule SE and pay 15.3% of your net in contributions to Social Security and Medicare.
I hope you have kept a mile log, in case you have more than Uber is showing.
Are you using a tax preparation program such as TurboTax? It will walk you through the process.
You have until July 15 to file, so take your time and do it right. Good luck. If it’s still too confusing, you should consider having a tax professional prepare your returns. You can PM @UberTaxPro, the OP of this thread and he can help you.
Thank you sir for your response. Wish me luck lol.