tax question

uberlol

hi guys this is my first year that i have to pay tax, how percent of my uber income should pay for gst ?! i didn't keep any fuel recipe or something to claim it , how long do i have time to get accountant ?!

thanks all

Grand

hi guys this is my first year that i have to pay tax, how percent of my uber income should pay for gst ?! i didn't keep any fuel recipe or something to claim it , how long do i have time to get accountant ?!

thanks all
You will have many questions. Go see a tax accountant now as there is also ABN issues.

ghs

You didn't keep you're fuel receipts and you don't know whether the GST is 10% or 25% ????

I am sorry to say this but I don't think you're going to have much success in life.

uberlol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You didn't keep you're fuel receipts and you don't know whether the GST is 10% or 25% ????

I am sorry to say this but I don't think you're going to have much success in life.
i spoke to an accountant a few minutes ago and he said he can claim the fuel if i paid fuel price by my bank card , i got lucky about it , but about gst percentage for uber i just heard it that uber driver have to pay 25% of their income for gst ! some source says 10% !! this is my first financial year and got confuse about it !

Grand

i spoke to an accountant a few minutes ago and he said he can claim the fuel if i paid fuel price by my bank card , i got lucky about it , but about gst percentage for uber i just heard it that uber driver have to pay 25% of their income for gst ! some source says 10% !! this is my first financial year and got confuse about it !
I am so glad that you have contacted an accountant. You would have also clarified your GST commitments at the same time.
Excellent result. I assume you are organising your ABN and BAS today.

DannyM

thanks guys, should i pay 10% of my income to gst or 25% ?!
You are in deep shit mate. You should have been paying quarterly GST since you started UBERING a year ago. You should also apply for an ABN
and register for GST.

I am surprise that you haven't received a letter yet from the ATO about your tax obligation.

Suggest you see accountant SAP.

uberdoobie_uberdoobie

well it isnt 10% or 25% so that's why u need tax bod...

it's 11% of 'the fare" for GSt and 25% to Uber if you side with Uber's perspective

OR
10% of the "fare" (ex-GST) and 27.5% (ex-GST fare) to Uber if you side with ATO's perspective

in practical terms for drivers...on a $110 fare that includes GST, the GST is $10 (less GST deductables) and Uber's cut is $27.50 (new drivers)

in legal terms for drivers, it's still before the courts and has major implications in terms of Uber fulfilling its contract obligations to drivers (25% of 'fare" as defined pending court decision) AND on Uber's GST obligations (currently delegated in full to drivers, but refunds up to 2% max may be forthcoming based on the GST rulings)

Bottom Line.. get a tax consultant ... make it a good one....helps mega with all deductions...

outtodrive

The passengers are not using their expenses to offset GST collected they are your expenses. I would not want to be giving my deductions to the riders. Don't forget that expenses are multiplied by the % of business usage.

Dissendat

Ignore all of these responses uberlol . They are all wrong.

For tax advice go into the Uber office and ask them what to do. Even better would be to email customer service.

GST is optional. It stands for "Good Service Tax". The more gooder your service is, the more you need to pay. That is why you have heard different rates. I give the goodest service so I generally pay more than others.

How long do you have to get an accountant? Well they generally all vanish around this time of year so at the time of writing probably 6 to 7 hours.

And no worries about not keeping fuel "recipes". Fuel was originally live plants and animals. These died and decayed, leaving behind organic materials which are then converted into crude oil due to exposure from heat and pressure in the earth's crust over hundreds of millions (that's as much as we make Uber driving) of years. After this, they are pumped and sent to petroleum distilleries. Here they undergo a very complex process to be formed into petroleum. If you were buying E10, then you get 90% petroleum and 10% ethanol.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to post a reply. I am glad to help.

MyRedUber

The passengers are not using their expenses to offset GST collected
They are if the fare is a business expense for them / their employer.
If the fare is above $82 you are required by law to give them a Tax Invoice if they ask for one. Do you carry Tax Invoice blanks in your car?
If the fare is below $82, they can claim the GST credit without the need for a Tax Invoice, although they may still ask for one.

ricdam

Quick question: how do you guys adjust GST previously claimed?

For example: my car business and private use in the 3rd quarter was 60% and 40% respectively. In the 4th quarter was 75% and 25% respectively. Would you guys claim the difference from previous quarter (on this example 15% more of the expenses on the 3rd quarter) on your 4th quarter BAS?

And for the following quartes, would you keep adjusting until when?

I believe if it's a "negative" difference (your business use decrease) you also need to adjust and pay more from previous quarters, correct?

Last edited: