• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Tampa International Queue

CommanderXL

I'm sitting here at the Sheraton listening to the Uber guy explain the airport queue and I thought I would share. He is telling drivers to stay off the airport property (including the short-term parking lot and cell phone lot) or you will NOT get a pickup request. He is saying to get close to the airport and wait and you are put in a virtual queue based on arrival time, not distance.

If you drive around or go offline you will be reset in the queue so he says to park and wait somewhere close but off the airport property. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Valboski35

I am curious to know what the distance is to be considered in the airport queue. I work right near the airport (where cypress ends). I have sat at work to wait for a ping but never got an airport call. I typically avoid it like the plague, I can afford or really want to deal with the headache that come with a redic ticket from the PTC.

I work on airport property so I don't mind an airport run on my way to work. After work I don't turn the app on until I'm far away from TPA. Don't need the headaches.

CommanderXL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That explains my 30 min wait in the cell lot the other day... So sit at international to wait for the ping?
Yeah, I would think International Plaza would be the best/closest place to wait off the airport property. I'm not big on airport pickups though, so I try to get away from there as soon as I can after dropping off. Yet, I have had pickup requests for TPA while on Westshore and at International Plaza.

Chisox1125

I actually thought I hit the jackpot on Thursday around 530 ish. I just took a passenger from Clearwater off Orange Ave to the airport, after I did the drop off and left the terminal got a request for a pick up at the airport. They ended up canceling 30 seconds later but I guess it just depends on the day and timing of the airport pickups.

uberguru

I went to the same meeting, no mention of airport policies, did several pickups yesterday.

As for tickets, no big deal, I submitted my fines, received the money days later and paid PTC on time.

CommanderXL

I went to the same meeting, no mention of airport policies, did several pickups yesterday.

As for tickets, no big deal, I submitted my fines, received the money days later and paid PTC on time.
Was there an actual meeting? When I was there it was just 2 guys sitting at a table in the front of the room and 6-10 drivers waiting to go up to the table and speak with them. As I was waiting I overheard one of the guys tell the driver he was speaking to about the airport queue and guarantees. It wasn't like a big announcement or anything.

Bubbasbrew

So what I'm hearing is that TIA pick are ok but do not wait in the Parking garage. Is this right? Or do you still have to watch out the the Anti-Uber police there? When I drop off at the airport I would then go around to Short term and wait (free up to an hour). Then when I get the ping I would contact the Rider, find out where they where and then direct them to the elevators. Have them come up to the 4th floor where I will be waiting for them. Less confusion then down at arrivals. Thoughts?

UberXTampa

So what I'm hearing is that TIA pick are ok but do not wait in the Parking garage. Is this right? Or do you still have to watch out the the Anti-Uber police there? When I drop off at the airport I would then go around to Short term and wait (free up to an hour). Then when I get the ping I would contact the Rider, find out where they where and then direct them to the elevators. Have them come up to the 4th floor where I will be waiting for them. Less confusion then down at arrivals. Thoughts?
Most riders will not come to 4th floor.
You are dealing with some who are not familiar with airport and will resist the idea since they are already on the curbside. Also they feel entitled and why wouldn't they? They pay us to pick them up. I say these based on my experience picking up at the airport.

I only ask them which airline sign they are under. If they cannot answer that, they are somewhere I can't pick them up: like shuttle area or taxi stand. I then tell them to walk about 30 feet and tell me which airline sign they see above their head in the arrivals pickup area.

uberguru

serious doubt that's an effective plan, one pax told me, he canceled a driver that suggested the same plan.

CommanderXL

NO, NO, NO!! lol - All that I was saying is that if you are on airport property the Partner App WILL NOT PING YOU. This has nothing to do with not getting caught or evading a ticket, which is a whole other topic. What the guy said was that to get any ping from the airport you have to be OFF airport property. AND, instead of it pinging the nearest driver, the software creates a virtual queue based on first-in-first-out. So PARK close to the airport and stay online. If you move around or go off line you will lose your place in the queue. So if you want to pick up at the airport (which he said was allowed and Uber would pay any citation) the ONLY way to do that is to be OFF airport property, including airport roads.

Snowtop

At some airports Uber uses the FIFO system. First In First Out. Drivers are pinged in the order they arrive at the airport. Tampa has not used that system in the past. It has always been closest driver get the Ping. Will be interested to see if they make an announcement of a policy change.

Uberfood

At some airports Uber uses the FIFO system. First In First Out. Drivers are pinged in the order they arrive at the airport. Tampa has not used that system in the past. It has always been closest driver get the Ping. Will be interested to see if they make an announcement of a policy change.
Yeah, in the past I've had the best luck circling the terminals and catching people just as they got their luggage, but that stopped working reliably about a month ago so I stopped attempting pickups there in general. A queue would be a welcome change from my end, but it would be annoying to not get a public announcement.

Thanks for this info, OP. I'm going to try my luck out there again, using this strategy

Snowtop

5 pickups at TIA today. All were I normally get them. On airport property. No change to system.

mhhickma

I'm curious. What time did you go online? What did you make on those 5 runs? Did you drop off pax at destination and than head back to TIA?

CommanderXL

5 pickups at TIA today. All were I normally get them. On airport property. No change to system.
I didn't hear the guy say when this would be implemented so if your current method works, then by all means keep it up. Also, I have noticed that the Rider App has a new way of requesting rides at the airport that requires the passenger to select which terminal and airline he is at.