1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Talked to Driver of Autonomous Uber Last Night

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh' started by MikesUber, Dec 23, 2016.

1. MikesUber

MikesUber

Driving:
    UberX
    So I'm sitting near the bars last night right before 2:00AM when the familiar silhouette of a white Ford Focus pulls up next to me. He's waiting for his passenger, I see the gear, the sensors, the spinning LIDAR system. We're both waiting so I look at him, flash my phone displaying the driver app and roll my window down.

I say hello and ask him a few questions. Very nice guy, welcoming and energetic:

- He's been driving Uber's SDC for about 4 months
    - They drive 10 hour shifts, 4 ON, 2 OFF, 4 ON
    - Enthusiastically encouraged me to apply after I mentioned I considered driving (Application Here)
    - Really enjoys driving for Uber (as an actual employee mind you lol)

I got his name and introduced myself. He waved goodbye after his passengers got in the car exclaiming, "Oh wow an autonomous Uber! Are you another driver?" (directed at the engineer in the passenger seat)

Anyone consider driving their SDC? Anyone else talk with SDC drivers or staff?

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. Geno71

Geno71

That's cool, I'll apply. Why not. Maybe I can do it just couple of days a week, idk if they're hiring part time drivers.

Thanks for sharing!

MikesUber and tohunt4me like this.
  3. MikesUber

MikesUber

Driving:
    UberX
    Not sure what they consider when hiring as far as hours and F/T versus P/T. Let us know if you move forward with it and get some insight! That would be awesome to drive (or 'assist') one of the SDCs.

tohunt4me likes this.
  4. I'm pretty sure you guys would need 1 or 2 engineering degrees lol keep ubering

5. MikesUber

MikesUber

Driving:
    UberX
    Well according to Uber:

Skills we’re looking for:
    • Demonstrated interest and technical aptitude to work with modern automotive systems
    • Possess safety, testing, or maintenance experience -- all industries and backgrounds are welcome
    • Talking with riders in our self-driving Ubers. This role will require excellent communication skills.
    • Capable of working independently and overcoming challenges without supervision
    • Skilled in isolating, documenting, and tracking issues systematically
    • Proficient in communicating with vehicle technicians, software engineers, and leadership
    • True love of driving and technology required; mission success is often measured in terms of hours logged in the vehicle
    • At ease with use of computers, possess strong typing abilities and comfortable learning new software applications
    • Must have a valid U.S. driver's license and clean driving record
    • Flexibility for day, night, and/or weekend shifts is expected
    Nowhere do I see "Bachelors or Masters in Engineering, Computer Sciences or related field required" (or preferred). That guy is sitting next to the driver.

tohunt4me likes this.
  6. The first 6 bullet points basically sum it up that you can't be some sap off the street.

7. MikesUber

MikesUber

Driving:
    UberX
    So we've moved from full fledged engineer with 1-2 degrees to just someone better than a bum off the streets. Quite a concession lol

8. Geno71

Geno71

Well I don't have an engineering degree, but I've been working in IT for the past few years, so I might have a one or two skills that they may find useful. Anyway, I applied. Maybe they'll reply, maybe they won't, I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

Edit. Almost forgot. I actually gave an Uber ride to a guy that got a job for Uber technology center in strip district. He said he had nothing that would make him think he'd qualify, his background was in sales and management, but they still hired him.

MikesUber likes this.
  9. Wow. I've done testing repairs,adjustments,to electrical pneumatic process system safety devices in conjunction with Dept. Of Mineral& Mining services under the Dept. Of Interior. Also pipe& systems testing on U.S. Navy ships. Wonder if I qualify.

10. Those 6 bullet points describe someone that's finished college. Not your average uber driver bum yeah.

11. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    So when I read all of that two things jump out at me:

"mission success is often measured in terms of hours logged in the vehicle."

and

"Flexibility for day, night, and/or weekend shifts is expected."

So basically they only care about you logging lots of hours on trips so they can argue it's "safe". Of vourse, if you have a wreck it's the driver's fault, always.

And you are not going to have any flexibility, just like "contract" drivers, so you'll be out at 2am with the pukers.

I'm guessing it pays better, though. And benefits. But you'll be thrown under the bus (perhaps literally) if anything goes wrong.

tohunt4me likes this.
  12. So you assume :
    1-That most uber drivers haven't finished college.
    2-That most uber drivers are bums.

Good for you, you're a special kind of A+ Jacka$$.

13. Zen65

Zen65

Correction:** someone who has finished college.
    I learned that in college;).

14. The ones that started uber around the time I did were great! Current batch of uber drivers yikes, I order select now instead of X, cause I wanna make it in 1 piece to my destination.

15. UBurgh

UBurgh

Driving:
    UberX
    I had a rider a few weeks ago who accepted a position to be the data collection analyst in the passenger seat and he had a degree in mechanical engineering

In related semi auto news, Phoenix received a fleet of the Volvos yesterday

16. So this is how life will be in 10 yrs. Pay more money in a year for xollege to earn less then ur college payments. Ontop of that itll be education to just watch after the danm computer. Oh yea if it screws up its ur fault.

17. Yeah, that's exactly what happened in SF on their first day testing there. A sdc got caught running a red light and Uber blamed it on "human error". Pretty much blaming the driver for it's mistake.

18. Geno71

Geno71

Update: No reply from Uber. BTW, they never asked for any kind of education information during the application process.

19. UBurgh

UBurgh

Driving:
    UberX
    In general, Seems like most companies drag their feet with the recruiting, interviewing, hiring practices. When I graduated college in 99, the process was less than a month and this is without social media The current application process needs a major overhaul

20. Tell me about it. People wanting to work in retail its takeing months sometimes for a reply. Then it could be a simple no