Tales from the "Dust Bowl"!

Carlsbad Steve

Hey drivers,
I haven't seen any entertaining stories from your trials and tribulations of Kaboo. Let's post up some to get some info on your best score or entertaining ride. I figured I lost at least $200 per day not being able to pickup 95% of my requests. I was one and done in the dust bowl after the first day. Still did pretty darn good at $40 per hour average and $25 per ride. Around $600 for the three day event.
I'll lead off with a good one, turned a disaster into a gold mine. I was working the edges of the gridlock traffic zones. Was pushing a 12 hour day from the start of my day working for another gig. Totally off point and hanging on by a thread. Getting hit by the second with dust bowl requests. Nothing coming in at my honey hole. Finally got a request at around 2x surge right on top of me. Saw a couple standing a few yards away from me in the dark. Waved to them and they starting loading in my car. I didn't stick to protocol and ask their name. I was trying to roll at least $20 rides minimum. They were going around 5 miles. Told them I wasn't going in their direction to go home for the night. They said they would tip me cash to take them. Right when I was ready to negotiate another couple walked up and said my name. Couple in the back seat tried to hijack the ride. Immediately they put $80 in my cup holder. I apologize to the correct passengers who were drunk millennials anyways. No love lost not taking them and busted couple ordred ride and we we're on our way. $90 for 5 miles!! No unicorns but can't beat nearly $20 per mile any day. I nearly got screwed but turned it into my best ride of the event. See if you can top that, I lead off, looking forward to hearing your stories!

Last edited:

Pesty

I drove so much over the weekend, 38ish hours, that I didn't eat much and only pooped once all weekend. Lost 4 lbs in the process and got sea legs from a 14.5 shift on Saturday. Was my best day making $389.

I'd say the highlight was my premiere ride, with two lyft social media coordinators,who got more than an earful on how the dust bowl operated for the event after they asked how things were going in there. I actually dropped them across the street from the bridge when they saw the traffic trying to get in there. I almost wanted to take them through the hassle but they were all, we'll walk, thanks.

MaddMaxx

$80 cash in hand, beats two millenials in a bush any day....

Only item of interest on my limited trips @ KAABOO was a friggin cop that was a complete and total idiot endangering ppl's lives on Solano Cir across from the venue...

... Scooped my pax and driving up hill into the dark residential side streets. Tons of pedestrians everywhere in the streets looking for their rides. Asshat cop standing in the street shines his tactical flashlight directly into my eyes from 5-7 ft away (to check for dialated pupils I'm assuming) and temporarily blinds me as I'm driving through the crowds. Who the F**k tries to blind motorists while driving? I'm pretty sure it would be a felony if I did that

Pesty

That cop on solano.. did the same to me and tried to make me go back down the hill. Had a pickup at the apartment complex around the corner and he asked to see my phone to prove it was a pickup, waved me by. Stuck to cedros after that

MaddMaxx

I drove so much over the weekend, 38ish hours, that I didn't eat much and only pooped once all weekend. Lost 4 lbs in the process and got sea legs from a 14.5 shift on Saturday. Was my best day making $389.

I'd say the highlight was my premiere ride, with two lyft social media coordinators,who got more than an earful on how the dust bowl operated for the event after they asked how things were going in there. I actually dropped them across the street from the bridge when they saw the traffic trying to get in there. I almost wanted to take them through the hassle but they were all, we'll walk, thanks.

Nice payout.... A lil TMI on the bowels play-by-play though.... Glad it came out OK :wink:

I did some drop-offs, including a nice little multi-pool that was surged into a fat pay-off. Only did the dust bowl once, my first drop-off on Friday. Everyone else got Arco or V de la V or sidestreets. Mostly, though, I ignored the festival unless someone brought me there. Instead I did my 35 rides for $50 (was too burned out to go the extra 15 for the $90) and enjoyed a decent-paying weekend.

My bowels were normal, fyi.

NCRBILL

That cop on solano.. did the same to me and tried to make me go back down the hill. Had a pickup at the apartment complex around the corner and he asked to see my phone to prove it was a pickup, waved me by. Stuck to cedros after that
Yesterday there was a cop who didn't allow anyone to go down the hill. I had to circle back around to Cedric to park.

I bet you're taking a couple days off

Pesty

Grabbed 4 hours of sleep last night and was printing shirts by 830 am.
Going to bed early tonight and Taking Tuesday off

Carlsbad Steve

Nice name change from San Diego Steve to Carlsbad Steve .
That's my friend Steve from San Diego, he referred me to Uber/Lyft. He's getting old and tired of driving. He warned me about some of the members here that threw him under the bus and reported him to moderators. So I'm here to learn how to drive from the well know members. My figures are pretty good for a newbie, how did you do at Kaboo? Always good to hear some good trip stories as well.

Wombat7

Here's a quote from San Diego Steve in the "I receive a dollar" thread originally posted on 9/11 of this year (last week).

"That's a good score,
I live in Carlsbad and rarely get that, stop all new requests next time. Second customer might have lowered your commission rate. Check it out on earnings, they go from 10% less on pool to up to 30% less when you accept the second pool."

My spidey sense is tingling...

Safe_Driver_4_U

I had an interesting Kaboo experience, Friday picked up pax in BayHo took 1hr and 5 min to drop off in dustbowl and 45minutes to get back to hwy 5. I swore off never again. Grinded all weekend days making about $12.00 per hr. (<<<<ATTN: Lurking prospective drivers this is the real pay most drivers are making on X). San Diego Steve got a hold of me, coached me a little and convinced me to give Kaboo another try.Went back Sunday night made $42.50 per hr. attached is my best ride. Made some mistakes should have hammered the Lyft 200% PZ harder instead of taking Uber 1.5x. Anywaysaw two ladies fumbling with phone on sidewalk very distraught, imagine just escaping the U/L shi+show. I asked them if they were trying to hail an Uber, they said yes, but weren't paying the crazy surge or 40 minute wait for a car so she kept cancelling. I pulled out my phone knowing it was 200% PZ told her try Lyft see what their fee is, ...cha ching! She pinged me, her neighbor was with her, her phone was dead. I said usually Line or Pool each pax pays for the ride, we are allowed tips but that is up to you, Lyft allows friend to come along as your guest. They were telling how bad the shi+show was, how she kept cancelling on drivers because they were saying 40 minute wait for car to get out of the dustbowl and to nearby street where she set pin. Surprise, surprise there I was standing next to her with her ping in my hand! Anyway, they were sooooo happy to have escaped the shi+show they dropped $25 cash tip. On the way back set DF and picked up a pool ride get there it's a beer run! $4.00 in app pay and $16 cash tip for 10 minutes. Lesson learned at the events turn on app at 2.5x not 1.5x I would have made much more.... one other interesting thing happened got a 1.5x ping, I took it, I decided I was going to screenshot all my surge pings, when I hit the app to show the ride again *after I accepted it*, the surge was gone! Uber was going to short me the surge, I do the proper thing I cancel......as you guys know be sure and screen shot those surge rides after accepting them and at drop off.

Attachments

• LYFT 51.PNG
    LYFT 51.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Carlsbad Steve

Here's a quote from San Diego Steve in the "I receive a dollar" thread originally posted on 9/11 of this year (last week).

"That's a good score,
I live in Carlsbad and rarely get that, stop all new requests next time. Second customer might have lowered your commission rate. Check it out on earnings, they go from 10% less on pool to up to 30% less when you accept the second pool."

My spidey sense is tingling...
San Diego Steve is my friend, we're actually gym buddies. We both swim daily to stay in shape. He's teaching me the ropes, he actually did better than me this weekend. He bagged a unicorn on Saturday, all the way to Capistrano! He helped SafeRide4U also, check out his thread. He's got some medical issues but the guy is relentless. A real warrior, he lost his job and had to sell his house. Now he drives to help his body recover and not get worst. He'll be back online soon, say hello to him!