Taking Pics and Lics of Cars

painfreepc

I was parked in a McDonald's parking lot in Long beach this morning and saw this guy walking between ever corner parking lot on the block, Taking Pics and Lics of every Car, even if they just parked right at that moment, even if they just parked to use the ATM, a lady using ATM asked him, why are you doing that, he did not say a word just keep doing what he was doing, one car was in process of backing out, the driver had to wait a few seconds for him to take photo and write down license plate number,

Then he starts walking towards my car, i get out and ask why do you need photo and license number of my car, it was like I was invisible, he walk right around me to look at front of my car, I run pass him to block my front license plate, he then starts taking photos of me and my car and just walks away like nothing just happened, then he goes across street to 7-11 and starts doing the same thing,

I take photos of him and call police, they said he's in a public place, he can take all the photo he wants, I said he is disrupting the business of McDonald's and 7-11, because a few people left without going in to do business after seeing him taking photos, the cops came in about 20 minutes, but he was long gone..

What would you do?

Last edited:

Choochie

He seemed to be on a mission - maybe he reports to the towing company to pick up vehicles that have been parked there illegally if they are not patronizing the respective businesses.

painfreepc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He seemed to be on a mission - maybe he reports to the towing company to pick up vehicles that have been parked there illegally if they are not patronizing the respective businesses.
The lady is standing right in front of the ATM and is right in front of her car with her car door open, I have a McDonald's coffee cup in my hand, so he is not reporting cars to a towing company.

Another Uber Driver

The Courts have ruled that in an open public or private space, you have no reasonable expectation or privacy. As the vehicles openly display licence plates, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy there, either. Further, the State issues the licence plates.

If you are in an area where rideshare is banned, that could have something to do with it.

painfreepc

The Courts have ruled that in an open public or private space, you have no reasonable expectation or privacy. As the vehicles openly display licence plates, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy there, either. Further, the State issues the licence plates.

If you are in an area where rideshare is banned, that could have something to do with it.
He's walking on to private property and disrupting business, he ran over to the lady's car that was at the ATM, she thought she was about to get car jacked.

poopy

Well have that lady call the thought police.
Unless one of the private property managers wants him trespassed, frightened citizens will just have to remain paranoid.

The kid's wearing an ID badge and carrying a clipboard.
Likely scenario is he was hired for about $8 an hour by some company to take pics.

The top answer to "What would you do?",
ask him if the company is still hiring.

:smiles:

LAuberX

Hey, you can do what Steve Jobs of Apple did... Lease exactly the same car every 6 months so you never have to mount a license plate on it!

It is strange tho... being a free country pics happen.

painfreepc

You are at an ATM, some guy runs over (not walk, runs) takes a photos of you, your car, license plate number and writes it all down, your saying you are not going to ask why.