Taking an extra passenger....

cheddacheese

I normally never let a 5th rider in my (uberx) car but made an exception last night because it was already going to be my last ride and their destination happened to me a mile from home. About a 10 mile drive. Has anyone ever let an extra rider in and then later asked uber for a fare adjustmet? ( i believe to0 many riders in an uberx is one of the options in fare adjustment... if i read their terms correct in the help menu). I only noticed this option while fixing another fare adjustment so i may be dead wrong or misinterpreting.
BTW.... I know i can get ticketed and that cost would be on me.

Ben105

Uber is not going to compensate you for breaking the law. You are also putting that 5th pax at risk of serious bodily injury or death for a few dollars. It doesn't matter how short the trip is, accidents happen and they don't even have to include another vehicle. A woman in Florida lost 4 of her children because of a tire blowout. She had 11 pax in a car that only held 7 and all of the unbelted pax were thrown from the car and died.

I would NEVER take an extra pax for any amount of money. It's not worth it. And if someone dies in your vehicle for not having a seatbelt, you may be criminally liable under negligent homicide. Jail time is definitely not worth Uber. :smiles:

SEAL Team 5

I normally never let a 5th rider in my (uberx) car but made an exception last night because it was already going to be my last ride and their destination happened to me a mile from home. About a 10 mile drive. Has anyone ever let an extra rider in and then later asked uber for a fare adjustmet? ( i believe to0 many riders in an uberx is one of the options in fare adjustment... if i read their terms correct in the help menu). I only noticed this option while fixing another fare adjustment so i may be dead wrong or misinterpreting.
BTW.... I know i can get ticketed and that cost would be on me.
Does your vehicle have 6 seat belts for you and 5 pax? If not, definitely don't tell Uber you want a fare adjustment for breaking the law.

Dahkei

If you admit to them that you broke the law with the expectation of getting paid more, it may backfire on you. Uber would be justified in deactivating you. Pax continue doing this because there are so many drivers that refuse to say NO for whatever reason they may give.
The fair would be adjusted to XL rate if you had an XL vehicle.

SEAL Team 5

Uber is not going to compensate you for breaking the law. You are also putting that 5th pax at risk of serious bodily injury or death for a few dollars. It doesn't matter how short the trip is, accidents happen and they don't even have to include another vehicle. A woman in Florida lost 4 of her children because of a tire blowout. She had 11 pax in a car that only held 7 and all of the unbelted pax were thrown from the car and died.

I would NEVER take an extra pax for any amount of money. It's not worth it. And if someone dies in your vehicle for not having a seatbelt, you may be criminally liable under negligent homicide. Jail time is definitely not worth Uber. :smiles:
We both posted almost the same exact thing at the same exact time. Many people that drive for TNCs don't realize that some of their state driving laws become criminal when you drive commercially.

Ben105

We both posted almost the same exact thing at the same exact time. Many people that drive for TNCs don't realize that some of their state driving laws become criminal when you drive commercially.
Yep. You have other people's lives in your hands. In my local market a driver survived, but a pax died in a car accident that was ruled driver's fault (driving too fast in rain). It's been litigated for a few years now, but the pax boyfriend and mother are fighting this as much as they can. It's not worth breaking the law, risking lives, or even just your car, for the rates we get paid. Noobs will do nearly anything to maintain their ratings.

And wasn't there a thread about a driver being arrested for having more pax than seat belts?

Oscarthegrouch

It's not with it! I drive xl so it's rarely an issue for me. If they requested x and they have more than 4 I have uber change it to xl. I used to tell them they'd be charged extra, not any longer they should know better in the first place. I can live with a ding to my rating over it. I drive to make a few extra bucks, not to rack up gold stars.

cheddacheese

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank all you guys for the replies. As soon as i agreed to the ride I 2nd thought it. Normally I tell em just get a 2nd uber or call xl... was just a perfect storm cause it took me home too, which is rare for me cause im in the boonies. I only put more thought into it when i saw it was an option to get a fare adjustment. At first I didnt even think twice about trying to get extra, then I saw that option and thought.... huhhhh?... seemed like a good way to get deactivated to me. I may have read it wrong but the way they word it makes it seems like they will adjust it in your favor. Anyhow to be safe im not going to make a claim and sure as hell wont be taking extras again. The stress just isn't worth it for me.

Paulokc

When a passenger requests an Uber are they supposed to specify how many people will be riding? Are drivers supposed to make more money for additional passengers?

DudeGuy

When a passenger requests an Uber are they supposed to specify how many people will be riding? Are drivers supposed to make more money for additional passengers?
UberXL are SUVs or minivans that have 5 or more passengers and get a higher rate, but only if they have 5 or more passengers. Otherwise they get the uberX rate.

Paulokc

I'm an Uber X driver. If the app says pickup Mary and i get there and Mary has someone with her. Should Mary have specified she had someone with her? Or does it matter?

cheddacheese

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My main question though is in the "help" section ... why do they make it sound like if your driving uber x and pick up 5 that they will pay you the difference of driving an extra, when their rules say you can only take 4. Has anyone else read that rule or am I reading it wrong?
The rule under fare adjustment reads

"We understand that picking up a larger group of riders can present additional challenges.
Uber is committed to safety for everyone. Please do not allow more passenger than your vehicle has seat belts for. If more than the maximum number of riders are attempting to enter your vehicle, politely decline from starting the trip. Instead, suggest that some or all the riders can request a larger or additional vehicle."

(now the confusing part)

"If you completed an uberX trip with more than 4 passengers, or you drive a vehicle approved for uberXL or UberSUV, please let us know here. We'll review the trip fare and make any necessary adjustments."

To be clear im not trying to get extra cash, more just curios to what the policy is and if any one has experience with this.

DudeGuy

I'm an Uber X driver. If the app says pickup Mary and i get there and Mary has someone with her. Should Mary have specified she had someone with her? Or does it matter?
It only matters for uberX if it is a uberPOOL trip. Uber doesn't allow more than 4 passengers for a pool trip, so if passenger A has 2 people, and passenger B has 2 people, uber knows not to add people to the ride.

Dahkei

UberXL are SUVs or minivans that have 5 or more passengers and get a higher rate, but only if they have 5 or more passengers. Otherwise they get the uberX rate.
Not true. If you order XL then you pay XL rate. Doesn't matter if 1 or 7 for XL. I drive XL and Select only. Most of my XL requests are 2-4 adults that just don't want to squeeze into a small car. Or people with a lot of luggage.

DudeGuy

Not true. If you order XL then you pay XL rate. Doesn't matter if 1 or 7 for XL. I drive XL and Select only. Most of my XL requests are 2-4 adults that just don't want to squeeze into a small car. Or people with a lot of luggage.
I know if you order XL, you pay XL rates. i just thought that XL drivers got pings for uberX trips as well, and that accepting the uberX ping gave uberX rates.

Dahkei

I know if you order XL, you pay XL rates. i just thought that XL drivers got pings for uberX trips as well, and that accepting the uberX ping gave uberX rates.
True, it is an option. There are many XL'S that do drive at standard X rates which I just can't understand.

htboston

True, it is an option. There are many XL'S that do drive at standard X rates which I just can't understand.
Rarely, people go out in groups of 6. Unless they are teenagers and they don't use Uber. No business for XL drivers unless it is a Friday or Saturday night. XL drivers need to make money even driving at UberX rates. Better something than nothing.

Boriskov

What is it that you don't understand? If I only do XL I will be seating in my car for hours. Out of 10 trips one might be XL.