• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Take over!

UberX.illegal?

Yellow cabs has been sold to cabcharge for $20mill. You might now see yellow cabs disappear and be replaced by 13cabs brand that cabcharge run in other states.

Lowestformofwit

Stand by for SUD's "Most Important Announcement Ever in the History of the Universe" & another "Latest Prediction" or thirty.
Disappointed that SUD's usually (un)reliable sources didn't alert her/him/it to this, to the extent that, from now on, I'm now considering all her posts as total BS.
Oh, wait....

UberX.illegal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
$20m for 1200 cabs makes them worth $16,666 each. Seems the government overpaid at $20k each.
You clearly don't know how the cab companies work. Yellow cabs co. Does not own 1200 cabs. Almost all cab plates are owned by individual owners. 20mill was paid for 10's of licenses that yellow cab co owned, but majority of the money was paid for the brand and market share.

Adam Dodds

13cabs? Never heard of it.

The 131008 jingle really stuck with me from late 90s early 00s

131 008! Thats 131 008!
Black & White Cabs
Get it straight!
131 008!
Program it in your phone mate!*

*added in early 00s

Last edited:

UberX.illegal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ux.i,
Is that $20m pricing worth it, in your opinion?
Would seem to be a high-risk, longer term gamble to us outsiders.
Cabcharge has paid for brand and market share. They have already entered into ridebooking business in NSW. i think long term if uber survives then cabcharge will use this purchase for easy launch into ride booking in qld.

But putting that to one side, after all the predictions of cabs going the way of horse carriage etc. The fact is cabs are still turning over good money. They are s till viable. And for a serious driver a way better source of income than uber can ever be. So that in turn will keep drivers looking for cabs to hire. Thus in return meaning regular cash flow positive income for cabcharge.

13cabs? Never heard of it.

The 131008 jingle really stuck with me from late 90s early 00s

131 008! Thats 131 008!
Black & White Cabs
Get it straight!
131 008!
Program it in your phone mate!*

*added in early 00s
Next time you walk past a yellow cab. Look at the rear panel near the petrol fill point. You will see the number written there. 13cabs has been more a NSW Victoria thing , untill today that is.

Lowestformofwit

Thanks for an objective explanation of the situation.
Good to have the forum clear of the usual rhetoric (at least for now) so we can hear about another dimension.
A guy round the corner from me has a Siver Service Falcon, & it's rarely parked up, so figured it must still be worrh it for him & his couple of drivers.

Sameshiftdiffday

Hi all - the report stated that the $20 mill did not include any licenses or property. The $20M is for the Yellow Cabs brand, technology, systems and various associated businesses.

In regards to LFW comments, I will try to give an honest appraisal of the last 6 months - in many ways it appears UBER peaked at the end of 2016 with approx 15-20% market share. At this level taxis still have 80% of the market. Why ? Because there are whole sectors of the market that UBER does not or can not access, or have little relevance to. The demographics UBER does well in are the under 30's, where over 50% are staunch Uber supporters & users, and also are high transport users on Friday / Saturday nights.

It would also appear that many people have tried Uber and are not impressed. Why ? Because they are 30+ with good jobs and are very underwhelmed with the number of small cars in UbEr and the casual way drivers are dressed ie shorts & thongs. Quote to me ' I am a 37yo manager with a Prado in the garage - why was I in a Yaris with a guy in board shirts and thongs? I don't need to save $10 like that' - so he has tried the service and doesn't like it - and he travels a lot. This is happening a lot now.

The cabs in Brisbane are still all out there - and good smart hard working drivers are still making good money - it is a lot tougher but 80% of people have stuck with the taxis - and that is a fact. Also remember that unlike UBER there is a limit number. You all saw how hard it was over Dec/Jan with more and more drivers driving.

UBER s strength is Flexibilty - reading the comments here and on FB it would seem there are a lot of unhappy drivers out there. When all expenses are accounted for It really is slave labour !

Example - how many Uber drivers last week worked Mon-Fri day shift and AFTER all expenses inc GST but before tax $955 for 50hours = $19.10 per hour. This is AFTER all expenses. On day shift - by many taxi drivers I know, who are smart and work hard. It seems that the only way to make decent money with UBER is to work Fri / Sat nights chasing surge all of time and putting up with the drunken low lifes ! No thanks - I like being home by 4 pm with the family.

Before everyone goes into UBER meltdown this is a fairly honest appraisal of the current status quo, based in industry figures from many sources including Uber. The new world appears to have space for the existing Taxi companies and also UBER. UBER enjoyed a lot of great PR and support last year but now it is the opposite with the truth coming out in the USA where a lot of experts are questioning even whether the business model actually works as a business.

Personally I think UBER made a lot of mistakes in Brisbane, which I will not go into here, and that it is too late to fix.

Anyway - just my opinion. SSDD

Golfer

Hi all - the report stated that the $20 mill did not include any licenses or property. The $20M is for the Yellow Cabs brand, technology, systems and various associated businesses.

In regards to LFW comments, I will try to give an honest appraisal of the last 6 months - in many ways it appears UBER peaked at the end of 2016 with approx 15-20% market share. At this level taxis still have 80% of the market. Why ? Because there are whole sectors of the market that UBER does not or can not access, or have little relevance to. The demographics UBER does well in are the under 30's, where over 50% are staunch Uber supporters & users, and also are high transport users on Friday / Saturday nights.

It would also appear that many people have tried Uber and are not impressed. Why ? Because they are 30+ with good jobs and are very underwhelmed with the number of small cars in UbEr and the casual way drivers are dressed ie shorts & thongs. Quote to me ' I am a 37yo manager with a Prado in the garage - why was I in a Yaris with a guy in board shirts and thongs? I don't need to save $10 like that' - so he has tried the service and doesn't like it - and he travels a lot. This is happening a lot now.

The cabs in Brisbane are still all out there - and good smart hard working drivers are still making good money - it is a lot tougher but 80% of people have stuck with the taxis - and that is a fact. Also remember that unlike UBER there is a limit number. You all saw how hard it was over Dec/Jan with more and more drivers driving.

UBER s strength is Flexibilty - reading the comments here and on FB it would seem there are a lot of unhappy drivers out there. When all expenses are accounted for It really is slave labour !

Example - how many Uber drivers last week worked Mon-Fri day shift and AFTER all expenses inc GST but before tax $955 for 50hours = $19.10 per hour. This is AFTER all expenses. On day shift - by many taxi drivers I know, who are smart and work hard. It seems that the only way to make decent money with UBER is to work Fri / Sat nights chasing surge all of time and putting up with the drunken low lifes ! No thanks - I like being home by 4 pm with the family.

Before everyone goes into UBER meltdown this is a fairly honest appraisal of the current status quo, based in industry figures from many sources including Uber. The new world appears to have space for the existing Taxi companies and also UBER. UBER enjoyed a lot of great PR and support last year but now it is the opposite with the truth coming out in the USA where a lot of experts are questioning even whether the business model actually works as a business.

Personally I think UBER made a lot of mistakes in Brisbane, which I will not go into here, and that it is too late to fix.

Anyway - just my opinion. SSDD
I've been waiting for an opportunity to mention this and this is it after reading the above. Last Nov picked up a guy (i'll call him John) in Bris. city, to take him to the Airport he was up from Syd on business. that morning he booked with Uber, a Taxi turned up John thought this is strange I did I didn't call a cab , the driver jumped out of his Taxi showed John his phone and said I'M YOUR UBER driver. He told John that when his shift finished, if it was busy he jumped in his own car and continued driving for Uber. So what we worked out lets face it he had this down pat, best of both services all he needed was an Uber Phone in his Taxi, he explained to John that in the suburbs where he could "moonlight " he only had to follow the pin see the person looking at there phone but because he was in his Taxi the number plate didn,t match he, just as he did with John jumped out and said I'M YOUR UBER DRIVER well that's it briefly. Now SUD what do you think of that "where there's a will there's a way". As I said previously from my observations Taxi's are still going well and I agree 100% with SSDD. SUD the demise of the Taxi Industry ? I don' think so but I think it's Uber and us that have to lift our game to stay in it

Sameshiftdiffday

That would be extremely risky to do on an ongoing basis - firstly if reported to UBER would be deleted from their system, secondly if reported to his Taxi Company he would be disaffiliated. Not worth it anyway. Plenty of cab drivers were doing their taxi shift and then jumping into their private cars to UBER because their were no fatigue limits with UBER and they could drive till they drop. Hopefully this doesn't happen much

Bandy

Yet another reason rates are so low and will only go lower. Zero standards with Uber. Tee shirts and thongs is a race to the bottom of their and your own making...

Good post Sameshiftdiffday, excellent.

Sameshiftdiffday

I don't think you can just rely on a ratings system to solve all the problems - it is one of the downfalls of the system - smart drivers know that when they are up above 4.8 over 500 trips then they can afford a few 1's for poor performance without any real impact.