1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Take out Tip? Not. Waitress complains.....She's fired

Discussion in 'Tips' started by Doowop, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Working4peanuts

Working4peanuts Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="steveK2016, post: 3610235, member: 6712

Where is there Any agreement that you are to get a tip as part of your compensation?[/QUOTE]

The same place where you tip your waiter bellhop masseuse et al.

Its called a social convention. Makes the world a better place.

Julescase likes this.
  2. Uberfunitis

Uberfunitis Well-Known Member

And you did see that the server who complained about not getting tipped is now fired.

3. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Exactly. They call people who merely pay what they are told to pay sociopaths but theyre willing to spit into food someone else is about to consume. I think its easy to call who the true sociopath is in that equation.
    I dont remember signing that contract. Did I sign it at birth with my embillical cord blood? Was it hidden in my enlistment contract? When exactly did I sign to this agreement and how do i get a copy of it?

No it doesn't. It just makes the US filled with entitled *******s who would spit in your food otherwise. It doesn't make the world a better place because most of the world abandoned this archaic practice long ago. In fact this country used to consider tipping an undemocratic form of bribery that was antithesis to American deals of all men being equal.

Uberfunitis likes this.
  4. Working4peanuts

Working4peanuts Well-Known Member

I never said out was spit...

Seriously fellas. Good luck going through life with that philosophy. I'm bored with this conversation. Have fun amongst yourselves!

Julescase likes this.
  5. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Whatever You sociopaths decide to put into paying customers food is besides the point.

Life would be better if business paid their employees what their labor is worth instead of trying to guilt their customer to subsidize their labor expense in the form of tips.

6. fusionuber

fusionuber Active Member

You dont tip for service, You tip as a sign of respect. Yiu tip WELL for Service. Period, this isnt a discussion

Julescase likes this.
  7. Uberfunitis

I say thank you when someone does something for me as a sign of respect. Money does not have to change hands to show respect towards another person for a given action. As far as tipping goes it very much is a discussion because people for the most part do not agree when it comes to Uber as they do not tip, if you would like for people to tip more than they do currently than there must be a discussion.

Donshonda likes this.
  8. fusionuber

fusionuber Active Member

Where dod i say tip more! What are you talking about?

9. DelaJoe

DelaJoe Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The way the system works is a waitress makes about $2.13/hour and a cook makes about $12.00 an hour. But the better waitresses will make another 10-15$ / hour in tips. The more tables you service the more tips you will earn.

Same goes for bartenders.....they live off of tips.

10. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    And why is the system like that? Why does it have to remain like that? Why does a restaurant get away with paying a substandard wage? Why does the consumer have to subsidize the business in such a manner? Why don't they just raise the costs by 20% and people can walk away after paying withoit worrying about a tip?

11. DelaJoe

DelaJoe Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Taxes...and avoidance of taxes. Of course now waitresses are W2ed based on sales data and tips are projected based on the sales data. It used to be the waitresses would always underreport tip income. To a degree the income is still underreported. Owners would rather show less revenue then show more revenue and pay it out in wages and taxes. I don't see the game changing because it has been this way for a long time. It is also pay for performance job...if you bust your butt and work more tables you can make 20-25/hour. If you work slow and provide terrible service your tips will be low and you will make 5-7/hour.

12. Julescase

Julescase Well-Known Member

Back (a looooong time ago) when I waited tables, even though we weren't supposed to, I'd add on a 15% tip to any table of over 6 customers - ESPECIALLY when they were foreign. No way in hell was I going to be screwed out of money I deserved/earned after 2 hours of busting my ass over a table that ordered drinks, appetizers, 6 prime rib plates, salads, desserts, and after-dinner drinks....a $500 - $600 bill and I'm going to assume they'll tip me appropriately after providing stellar service? Screw that noize. My restaurant didn't even allow it, but I was 100% willing to be fired for it if my boss caught me and didn't like it. That's $80-$100 of my tip earnings I wasn't willing to risk.

It was almost like a game to me. I'd add the 15% to the bill and drop ot off at the table, collect the money and then feel the sweet relief of the payment in my hands. I kicked ass as a server and knew my boss wouldn't fire me but he would certainly threaten us with being fired almost daily.

Long story short, given all the cheap ****heels out there, I now feel tips should be added to checks automatically. For all of the generous tippers who are amazing, there are the cheap and stingy Steves of the world who think they're entitled to meals out and enjoy being waited on, yet don't want to pay for the services they're receiving. Better to just even the playing field, get the same tip percentage amount from each table, and not allow the cheap a-holes of the world ruin your night by being selfish tightwads. I'd save a lot of money myself, since I always tip at least 20% ( for average service) and closer to 40% when service is amazing. Or if I am out eating a lunch alone and the bill is $11-$12, I'll leave a $20 and call it a day. I know it will make that server's day to receive a great tip - that was such a great feeling- and it means more to them than it does to me. Plus I feel the weird need to overcompensate for the cheapo Steves of the world out there who screw waitstaff over on a daily basis.

Your questions are 100% irrelevant because we live in the USA where tips are standard and that's the culture we live in, PERIOD. If you don't like it don't eat out, don't get your hair cut, don't get a massage, don't get a manicure, don't go to hotels, don't take Uber/Lyft/taxi rides, don't do anything that requires a tip or go anywhere that has a tipping policy. Don't take visitation tours or do any kind of travel, don't have anyone help you with taking groceries to your car, don't leave your house.

It's so simple Steve, yet you still don't understand it. Either you have a learning issue or you are freakishly cheap, or maybe it's both. You should consider moving to Europe or Japan where tipping is not the norm but everything costs 30% more. You'd love it.

Blatherskite likes this.
  13. Uberfunitis

That is theft as you had not earned that extra payment nor deserved it.

14. Sariandan

Sariandan New Member

I always hate tip discussions, because someone always says servers make only $2.13 per hour. This is incorrect. Servers make at least the federal minimum wage, gross.

The FLSA allows an employer of a tipped employee to pay $2.13 an hour, provided that the received tips + that $2.13 an hour meets federal minimum wage. If it does not, then the employer must make up the difference. This is why tips are under reported, to make more money, not necessarily to avoid taxes.

Now, if a server sees that her $2.13 per hour + tips / hours worked =/= the federal minimum wage and the employer did not add the difference, he/she/it needs to complain to the federal labor department.

All that being said, we always tip well for good service. And, coming from F&B families, we know the difference between bad service and a bad kitchen. We won’t hold a bad kitchen against the server.

Uberfunitis likes this.
  15. Saltyoldman

Saltyoldman Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You have obviously never worked in a restaurant Stevo. 735$ in take out food is more work than if they sat at a table. Out back pools tips as well. That order slammed the kitchen and slowed down service for the diners in the restaurant therefore affecting those tips possibly. A 10% tip is justified in that case and since God was picking up the check 20% should be the Christian thing to do. It probably took 3 people to get that food ready for take out.

I only read stevos post but we had the same response basically.

You mean wiener spit right??

Julescase likes this.
  16. Uberfunitis

I actually do hold the server accountable for the kitchen. Having worked in a restaurant before I know first hand how a given servers relationship with the kitchen directly affects their food.

17. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    No I haven't worked at a restaurant. They are paid to perform the service. If They arent paid enough, that simply is not my fault nor my responsibility.

Slavery was the cultural norm in America too for much longer than tipping has been the cultural norm. We managed to fix that after killing each other for several years. Holding business accountable to pay their staff according to their labors worth shouldn't require a second civil war, hopefully.

How difficult is it to understand that the responsibility to pay staff what their labor is worth is on the business. Cultural norms change, tipping is only a cultural norm due to necessity that came up after prohibition and the great depression earlier in the 20th century. We are now well into the 21st century and the rest of the world has already figured it out.

Business charge more, business pay their employees what they are worth and a customer pays what they are told to pay. Simple.

You guys really are stupid. You are advocating the same damn thing i am! Tips should be added automatucally to all bills?

Thats basically the same **** ive been saying! But instead of trying to justify calling it a tip just increase the price of the goods or service by 20%!!! How is that any friggin different then what ive been saying?!?!?!

I swear to god yall are just absolutely dense and if the word tip is removed, even if the price of the good and service is increased by the same amount as a tip would be, youll still throw a fit like an infant.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    secretlurker and Uberfunitis like this.
  18. Uberfunitis

I can agree with much of this, I don't mind paying more, I just don't wish to have to bribe someone to do their job. Put a price forward if the good or service is worth it I will pay it, if not I won't.

19. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    At Outback Take-Away, they are supposed to come out to the car, get your credit card, run the card, schlepp the food out to you. That merits SOMEthing.

For Outback Take-Away, you pull up and sit in your car. The employee comes out, gets your card, runs the card, schlepps your order out to you, returns your card. That constitutes "service".

To read what she stated, she spent more than that on it. Ten per-cent would have been enough for it, though.

It is more like eighty five to ninety per-cent give you what could be called a "real tip". Some give you nothing, more than a few give you "the change", which ranges from two to ninety cents. Anything over ninety cents is close enough to a dollar that I will call it a "real" tip, even if a ninety-two cent tip is pushing it.

It has been a long time since I took a cab in Florida. They were not as you describe, then. I do not know what they are like, now. The overwhelming majority of the cabs in the Capital of Your Nation and their drivers do not uphold your profiling/stereotyping.

You get it, then, you are willing to take the same from someone who might do better, as long as it is balanced by getting something from the skinflints. What I do when I go into a place that adds a tip, for whatever its reasons, is inform the waitress that if she puts that amount on the bill, she gets that--to the penny. Back when I usually paid cash, I let her know that I had the singles and coins to see to it that happened. I then inform her that if we receive top-drawer service, the tip will be much better than what the notice states will be added. Finally, I tell her to choose; it matters not to me which way. If, during the meal, we notice that the service is poor, I will let her know that we will protest to the manager any tip if the service continues in the manner that it is. If she gets smart, I ask for the manager immediately. If she fixes it, I will say nothing further. Some waitresses have chosen to leave the tip blank, and, when the service was good, got better than the fifteen per-cent on the notice. If it was acceptable but less than the best, the tip was the fifteen per-cent on the notice. Twice did I complain to a manager about poor service with a tip added. I delineated to the manager both times the specific shortcomings. One manager let it go and even offered a break on the tab. One manager backed his waitress. At that point, I told him that we would pay the bill, and, if he did not like that, he could summon the police and we could settle it, then. He backed down and took the bill.

As a cab driver, waitresses, barkeeps and dancing girls have tipped me well, over the years, so, I tend to be nice to them. As an Uber driver, though, shame on them.

FIFY

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Julescase and Blatherskite like this.
  20. Uberfunitis

No, what was described was pure and simple theft as there was no agreement to those charges before service was rendered.