Taco Bell/Whataburger Stops?

BooberUber

I am a fairly new driver....

What do you all do if you end up with a tipsy/drunk passenger that wants to swing through a fast food drive through? They are always anything but fast...and you aren't making anything while you're waiting on their slowness.....Do you just tell the riders that you won't do it and hope they don't ding you on your rating, or do you do it anyway and suck up the 20 minute loss of time for the drunkard line at Whataburger?

Also....what do you do with drunks who decide not to put in an address on the app for you to take them too...and want to verbally direct you, but are bad at it and keep missing directions since they aren't sober?

I ended up having a couple of drunk dudes in my car that were in there for 40 minutes, 25 miles....and uber "adjusted" the fare as being inefficient even though I was going everywhere they wanted to go (not sure if this was done automatically or because they complained after they sobered up)....but it was off the GPS course to the destination they put in on the app to start.

I'm hoping Uber will fix this...but in the mean time, I'd like advice on how to control the madness of "oh I'll just tell you how to get there" when they can't even tell you their name....

BooberUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a great idea...but not really practical. What do you do once they are already in your car and you didn't realize they were drunk until then? I already learned I don't like to drive on weekends for this reason (and the market is more saturated with drivers on the weekend it seems), and there are certain areas I avoid...but still you end up with some just by nature of what we're doing.....just not sure how to handle these questions when it does happen.

LaustinAustin

OW was a bit brunt, but he was correct. Let those who can tolerate all the puke, belligerence, and stupidity run the drunks. You can make as much in the daytime and early evening and not put yourself in nearly as many tough situations. OW is a wise and sage mentor. Listen closely to his advice.

nighthawk398

Lately the people wanting to go to thru the drive thru offer to by me food, I think sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad, not every ride is going to be Awesome

I had one guy the other night wanting to go to Tiger Cabaret he fell asleep on the way there, when I got there I woke him up and decided he rather go back home, so I drove round trip , put destination in the app and dropped him off

TheFriscoKid

Make sure you're only driving during a guarantee period so you don't get screwed making $1.50 gross for 15 minutes of your time in the drive through.

renbutler

If somebody wants to make a stop more than five minutes, I let them know I'm dropping them off there and that they'll need to call another Uber when they are done.

Maxalto

I am a fairly new driver....

What do you all do if you end up with a tipsy/drunk passenger that wants to swing through a fast food drive through? They are always anything but fast...and you aren't making anything while you're waiting on their slowness.....Do you just tell the riders that you won't do it and hope they don't ding you on your rating, or do you do it anyway and suck up the 20 minute loss of time for the drunkard line at Whataburger?

Also....what do you do with drunks who decide not to put in an address on the app for you to take them too...and want to verbally direct you, but are bad at it and keep missing directions since they aren't sober?

I ended up having a couple of drunk dudes in my car that were in there for 40 minutes, 25 miles....and uber "adjusted" the fare as being inefficient even though I was going everywhere they wanted to go (not sure if this was done automatically or because they complained after they sobered up)....but it was off the GPS course to the destination they put in on the app to start.

I'm hoping Uber will fix this...but in the mean time, I'd like advice on how to control the madness of "oh I'll just tell you how to get there" when they can't even tell you their name....
For me drive thru stops depends on what part of town and time of day - if I expect to busy, I don't.
Regarding tipsy navigators .. I ask them to enter the address so I can anticipate upcoming turns. Usually I won't enter it on uber app. I use voice commands.
Ok google navigate to blah blah blah.

docswife

Usually, if you're driving drunks, it's surge (unless you're one of those that drive drunks at .85 per mile which is INSANE). If you're surging at 4.0 or greater, you're being paid a fair amount to wait, so why care?? I will sit in a drive through until the cows come home if it's surging at 4.0 or greater!

If you're driving drunks at .85 per mile, why would you wait for them (at .10 per min), OR even accept the request to begin with.....?

Fuzzyelvis

Unless it's surging appropriately tell them "Uber prefers that we be driving or available for other trips. That's why wait time is less than minimum wage. So I can drop up off and you can call an Uber when you are ready." Also I do not let them eat that crap in my car regardless of surge and I tell them that ahead of time.

As far as convoluted rides that don't go straight to the destination I email Uber immediately to tell them the ride was not straight a to b and it was the customer's directions that I followed. ESPECIALLY if it's on surge. I once took a very roundabout trip to drop off multiple pax but the trip was also not very long. However it was a 4 surge and was $40 for less than 15 minutes. Those sort of trips are the kind pax complain about.

Get a destination. Don't accept the pax directing you. I use the line that Uber likes to know the final destination as the app lags and I'm more likely to get another trip quickly when it's in the app. I actually am pretty convinced at this point that's true. I don't even use the app, just my brain and the car nav if I need it but when the destination is not in the app Uber seems to send me back to my last pickup location very often.

Turn by turn is not safe with drunk people especially. It is very distracting.

This is a perfectly fair response in this situation.
And you can phrase it in terms of THEIR self-interest:

"Hey, let me just drop you off so you guys can take your time ordering and enjoy your meal while it's hot, and then grab another Uber when you're done. This time of night Uber expects me to be moving all the time and if I get tangled up in a drive thru it can really cost me."

That's a perfectly diplomatic response, and if the PAX presses the issue you can always fall back to something like: "Well, I guess if you're offering to buy me something to eat it would be impolite to say no, right?"

PAX seem to understand that while tipping is not expected, asking a driver to go through a drive-thru DOES imply that you will do something for him (sitting in a drive-thru is not the purpose of an Uber car). I'm sure that's not true in all cases, but in every single drive-thru request except one the PAX has offered to buy me something, and I always accept the offer but make sure not to buy anything too expensive. To me, it's just a manners thing, which may sound naive in an Uber setting, but it actually works pretty well.

If I were a passenger asking an Uber driver to hit a drive-thru I would want him to take me up on my offer to buy him something.

Ideally, we just go from A to B, but I don't mind being flexible here and there. It's not that big a deal to me.

KMANDERSON

Usually, if you're driving drunks, it's surge (unless you're one of those that drive drunks at .85 per mile which is INSANE). If you're surging at 4.0 or greater, you're being paid a fair amount to wait, so why care?? I will sit in a drive through until the cows come home if it's surging at 4.0 or greater!

If you're driving drunks at .85 per mile, why would you wait for them (at .10 per min), OR even accept the request to begin with.....?
The question should be why did you pick them up at .85 a mile.That to much drama for .85 a mile and I emailed uber that when surge was down