Sydney Drivers Log

matPORTS

Is it definitely confirmed now that drivers who haven't obtained a DAC have been de-activated ? Or that Uber have at least started this cull ?

It will be interesting to see how supply and demand is affected over the coming weeks as a result.

The big ticket event this month will be Sunday 14th August - City to Surf.

Uberjsmith

Really enjoyed reading your blog.
Good luck with your job search.
I have also lost motivation to drive.
Have been off road since 2 months.
Trying to get back, but still not successful.

Avenig

Is it definitely confirmed now that drivers who haven't obtained a DAC have been de-activated ? Or that Uber have at least started this cull ?

It will be interesting to see how supply and demand is affected over the coming weeks as a result.

The big ticket event this month will be Sunday 14th August - City to Surf.

That is what I was told when I went in the office. Apparently there is an $11,000 fine to drive without a dac and end of July was some kind of general deadline.

joffie

I enjoyed reading your log since day 1. All the best for the future and I am sure things will work out and you meet a nice woman :smiles:

Perhaps you will come back to drive for NYE :biggrin:

Stay around though.

Grand

Sorry to see you leave Uber. I agree with the other guys comments. You have been a good contributor.
Don't be a UP stranger!!:rolleyes:

sporadic

NOOOOOO :frown:

Holler when you're in MEL again though!

I already got deactivated today. So now there is no Uber drivers that are active without a DAC. That would explain why Uber might have kept recruiting for new drivers.

Not sure if I would keep doing it part time if I had full time work and assuming I could get activated again.

Dic181

Truly sad news to hear your out......
I have looked forward to reading your posts everyday....

Your awesome buddy!!

I wish you all the best for your future.

If you ever need a ride and I'm the driver your ride will always be free... Cheers!

lang_tu_syd

Avenig, I keep coming back to UP to read your daily log cause that's how I relate to my Uber driving experience even though I only do about 15 hours a week. It's so sad to hear you go. Best of luck with your future job and relationship.

Avenig

So I thought I was close to getting the name on my drivers license changed and getting my DAC but looks like I'm back to square one. Have to go through the drama of getting a legal name change.

I managed to get an Australian passport with my "full name" and in theory had 100 point id now.

I thought that would be enough but the NSW RMS still requires me to legally change my name. I just don't understand why the Australian government is happy to issue me a passport to travel the world but the motor registry wants a name change before changing my drivers license.

I'll keep plugging away as I suspect this name issue may impact me in other unforeseen ways if I don't get it sorted now.

But at this stage by the time I sort it out my 2007 car will be older than 10 years. There are days I miss the Uber lifestyle getting paid to drive and chat with people. But this is the universe telling me to move on with other areas in my life.

matPORTS

Been keeping a close eye on things since you told us about your deactivation Avenig

It has definitely gotten busier out there (I'm sure some will beg to differ though) as no doubt a lot of other drivers were in the same situation as yourself. Likewise, a lot of potential new sign ups going through the doors at Concord and Rockdale are also being bottlenecked by the DA process.

December weekends and NYE are going to be a very interesting time.

Avenig

I had a strange reminder of my driving days. Last night I had this spur of the moment idea to have a night swim under the full moon.

Eventually ended up in Bronte. As I was putting some stuff away in the back pocket of the driver seat I realised there was an empty cider bottle in there that was left behind by a rider. I have no idea how long it would have been there and no clue who it might have been.

Also ended up using my last bottle of water that has been in the car to wash out my mouth after the cold dip in the bath.

Currently my change of name certificate is being processed. But highly unlikely I will starting uber again before the end of the year.

Probably should start thinking about what car I would get if I had to upgrade before getting actived again. My mechanic is a Toyota expert but I was surprised he was suggesting I look into a Hyundai i30 as it has a 5 year warranty. Should go for a test drive when I'm bored with nothing to do.

I also came across this rental place offering what appears to be very low weekly rentals. Haven't looked into it too deeply. I'm sure there must be a catch.

http://www.drivemycar.com.au/uber-marketplace

fields

A passenger mentioned drivemycar for Uber a few weeks ago. I dismissed it off hand saying no-one in their right mind would be interested as the cost per km rate is too high once you are over 100km.

Say you do 250km, that would cost you the rental fee plus 150km times 30cents. That ends up costing you a hell of a lot more than if you were to rent a late model car rather than a 5-6 year old car at drivemycar. Even if you only did 150km, you'd still not be better off.

I rather like the Europcar offer where you get 1500 free km and the daily rate is actually less than many of drivemycar car's.

https://www.europcar.com.au/partners/uber-marketplace?xtor=AL-4310-[uber]-2016-[1016]

Last edited:

tksduberx

I had a strange reminder of my driving days. Last night I had this spur of the moment idea to have a night swim under the full moon.

Eventually ended up in Bronte. As I was putting some stuff away in the back pocket of the driver seat I realised there was an empty cider bottle in there that was left behind by a rider. I have no idea how long it would have been there and no clue who it might have been.

Also ended up using my last bottle of water that has been in the car to wash out my mouth after the cold dip in the bath.

Currently my change of name certificate is being processed. But highly unlikely I will starting uber again before the end of the year.

Probably should start thinking about what car I would get if I had to upgrade before getting actived again. My mechanic is a Toyota expert but I was surprised he was suggesting I look into a Hyundai i30 as it has a 5 year warranty. Should go for a test drive when I'm bored with nothing to do.

I also came across this rental place offering what appears to be very low weekly rentals. Haven't looked into it too deeply. I'm sure there must be a catch.

http://www.drivemycar.com.au/uber-marketplace

I don't think there is any catch. Hyundai i30 has a well established market now. Toyota offers 3 years warranty, so Hyundai wants to attract customers by giving extra peace of mind for 5 years. Another car in the same segment very popular in the Asian markets is Suzuki Baleno.

Avenig

Got my change of name certificate in the mail today. So went down to the RMS and filled out a form. Was surprised they still wanted to see my passport so it wasn't a waste of time getting it after all although I think they would of accept my old ids with the certificate.

Now waiting for the updated drivers license in the mail.

Went to Uber to double check what I had to do to get reactivated. Good thing is they will pay for the new security check.

I ask about my July 2007 plated car. No official word on when they will remove these cars off the system but this year it was done in June. Have to play it by ear.