SXSW Pretty Underwhelming So Far...

was expecting the surge on the morning commute of the first day of SXSW to be through the roof, but wow, pretty underwhelming. This time last year it was surging 5, 6x. I’ve seen a couple of 100% prime times, but that’s about it. If it keeps going like this, looks like I’ll just be watching march madness instead of dealin with all of the nonsense driving. Not worth it for minimal surge.

wilsonz83

was expecting the surge on the morning commute of the first day of SXSW to be through the roof, but wow, pretty underwhelming. This time last year it was surging 5, 6x. I’ve seen a couple of 100% prime times, but that’s about it. If it keeps going like this, looks like I’ll just be watching march madness instead of dealin with all of the nonsense driving. Not worth it for minimal surge.
Uber is bringing all the drivers from Houston/dallas/ San Antonio. Have you even seen Lyft airport queue more than 100? Last night was 179.

whiskeyboat

A bust so far. Yesterday afternoon and this morning both weak. 179 airport queue, those poor saps forgot this ain't Dallas.

UberBeamer

Why anyone would sit in that queue for $10-15 rides is beyond me. Maybe instead of offering up snacks at the hubs they should host a big BBQ and music venue in the airport lot.

Driving up to 2.5 hours each way just to work for 2X surge max is beyond me. You’re costing yourself more in gas and wear and tear on your car then what you’d make driving on a normal night in your home city. As of 11:20 AM, still haven’t seen prime time above 50% downtown. And this is when Lyft said would be peak time....

Also, did Lyft just disable the Airport Que counter? When I just tried to see how many people were in the que at the airport, the button that you hit is no longer there. If that’d the case, that’s a total bush league move by Lyft. They must realize this morning has been a bust....

Jay Dean

It is a shit show no doubt, but have had no problem with rematches at drop offs at airport, waiting at the airport que is not the way to go for Lyft reg/X etc, granted I am driving Lyft/X and riding out the last 40k on my Altima but I’ve been busy and I do not “wait” ....if you are looking for lux rides, well that’s where it gets more complicated during SXSW time and I agree, it shouldn’t be, but Austin is the new L.A. or S.F. And everyone wants to be here in “fashion” so the select/lux drivers will flock to that demand much like X drivers do on the reg through out the year, that’s just my perspective. SXSW sucks but I know I’ve been non stop with pings both apps, but I also deal with cheapskates and like I said finishing my Altima off LOL

Took someone to Convention Center over lunch and agree. I should have put my daughter’s Camry on for this event so far that would seem to make more sense with all the short rides.

Based on the power zones for Lyft and Boost for Uber it appears both feel they have plenty of drivers in town. Those aren’t much above a typical Saturday night in town.

Headed to Dallas in a bit to watch son’s college baseball all weekend. I might make out like a bandit there with all of them here. Lol

Ziggy

Headed to Dallas in a bit to watch son’s college baseball all weekend. I might make out like a bandit there with all of them here. Lol
Stands to reason is drivers making the most money will be the drivers in HOU, SAT, DFW who did not go to Austin for SXSW.

UberBeamer

Just out of curiosity I took at look at the SA forum to see what the word was down in those parts. Man that forum is dead. Last post was by Terri Lee back on March 1 with 0 replies and the most recent before that was Jan. 27.

MHR

SAT area doesn't hardly know about UP.net, it's all about FB . Trust me, no one's making the big bucks there either and nobody is really planning on going to Austin unless they get a pax going there. There are a few maybe but most realize the futility of driving to another area to poach.

Anyhoo...ATX drivers be safe and may the gods of no puking and big tipping be with y'all. I will not be participating, my boy decided to start spring break early with a hospital stay.

UberBeamer

SAT area doesn't hardly know about UP.net, it's all about FB . Trust me, no one's making the big bucks there either and nobody is really planning on going to Austin unless they get a pax going there. There are a few maybe but most realize the futility of driving to another area to poach.

Anyhoo...ATX drivers be safe and may the gods of no puking and big tipping be with y'all. I will not be participating, my boy decided to start spring break early with a hospital stay.

Thanks MHR. Sorry to hear about your boy.

Reactions: MHR

Ziggy

Ditto MHR. Sorry to hear about your boy.

I haven't driven since Wednesday ... caught a cold with this topsy-turvy weather. But hopefully, I'll be back behind the wheel in a day or two. Clearly, I'm not missing much

Reactions: MHR
9 PM on the Friday night of SXSW anddddd no surge in sight. What a joke. If you’re driving right now with this nonsense, you’re a sucker.

Attachments

• 55FE5C14-1A0F-42BE-88D0-A9CA0E88AFC3.png
    55FE5C14-1A0F-42BE-88D0-A9CA0E88AFC3.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 38

whiskeyboat

I've been out a couple times each day, morning and evening rush, lucky to get a couple of 1.2 and 1.3

Maybe just maybe the out of town drivers will hang it up and go home.

ATXFALCON

Last Friday $270

First Friday SXSW $130. I quit early not worth driving these people in that mess for under $5

Short fares, shitty people, and almost no demand for plus. I've driven every sxsw since rideshare started, and so far this is the worst ive seen. Though it is still early, and I expect Monday will be busy.

Yankee

I don't drive anymore but I got on the road and turned on my app (Lyft) for SXSW because its the only time I've ever found driving truly profitable. Last year I averaged $250 a day/$2500 during the festival. So far, I've only gone out twice (Thurs eve and Fri eve) averaged $7 per ride, $15/hour. I didn't even bother going down there late last night or early this morning. I'm sure the music segment will be better, but so far it ain't worth it.