SXSW Fckery

Yankee

A lot of b.s during SXSW, most of it due to pax not being educated about how to make the transaction smoother.

1. The city seems over-saturated with Ubers from other cities, resulting in long lulls even in the midst of surge zones. The surges are not as high (except perhaps at 3 a.m.) and you can be sitting right in the middle of one, fielding text messages from the Uber Cheerleading squad, and get nothing. I've gone as long as 2 hours without a ping a few times during this festival. That's absurd. If Uber is charging pax surge fares, it means there are more pax than cars. If there are more pax than cars, no Uber driver should ever be twiddling his thumbs.

2. Pax from out of town are frequently not updating their pins, resulting in a lot of running around.

3. Pax are not keeping their phones handy so you can't contact them to set up pick-up strategy, and not showing up when you arrive. I've had more cancellations during this festival than ever before.

4. Pax hanging around the car finishing smokes and chatting with friends while you wait.

5. Plenty more which I'm sure y'all will fill in below.

Still making good $$ during this thing, but its not easy. It would help if Uber devoted half the time they take urging us to get on the road and put it toward educating these folks.

Yankee

Hey Falcon, you are right. I'll admit I think 5 min is too long to wait on anybody in the midst of a busy evening right now. In fact, its a long time anywhere, but I think this is an unreasonable amount of time to be sitting in dicey spots while there's business all around. That's just me, I might be less patient than the average guy. If they call or speak to me, yeah, I do wait. But if they're not picking up the phone at all, I usually give them 3 min and then I'm gone.

Yankee

Another thing I've noticed: during the Music fest, Select fares are more rare. Since Tuesday, I'm getting one ping an hour, sometimes less. I think the music crowd just ain't goin' for it. I made a paltry $100 in about 5 hours today. One pax today told me the only reason he called for a Select was because X was surging at 3.4 (around 5:00 p.m.), and it was cheaper to get a Select.

Tx rides

A lot of b.s during SXSW, most of it due to pax not being educated about how to make the transaction smoother.

1. The city seems over-saturated with Ubers from other cities, resulting in long lulls even in the midst of surge zones. The surges are not as high (except perhaps at 3 a.m.) and you can be sitting right in the middle of one, fielding text messages from the Uber Cheerleading squad, and get nothing. I've gone as long as 2 hours without a ping a few times during this festival. That's absurd. If Uber is charging pax surge fares, it means there are more pax than cars. If there are more pax than cars, no Uber driver should ever be twiddling his thumbs.

2. Pax from out of town are frequently not updating their pins, resulting in a lot of running around.

3. Pax are not keeping their phones handy so you can't contact them to set up pick-up strategy, and not showing up when you arrive. I've had more cancellations during this festival than ever before.

4. Pax hanging around the car finishing smokes and chatting with friends while you wait.

5. Plenty more which I'm sure y'all will fill in below.

Still making good $$ during this thing, but its not easy. It would help if Uber devoted half the time they take urging us to get on the road and put it toward educating these folks.

I understand your point of view, but that is never going to happen. The consumer is not obligated to learn how to make your job easier. That's just not how this works. Unfortunately for you and your peer partners, Uber bolted out of the gate with ridiculous promises, attracting people who want to pay very little for a lot. If you want considerate, seasoned travelers, I'd recommend driving as a chauffeur.:-)

Yankee

I understand your point of view, but that is never going to happen. The consumer is not obligated to learn how to make your job easier. That's just not how this works. Unfortunately for you and your peer partners, Uber bolted out of the gate with ridiculous promises, attracting people who want to pay very little for a lot. If you want considerate, seasoned travelers, I'd recommend driving as a chauffeur.:smiles:
Yep. Can't argue with that at all, Tx rides.

frndthDuvel

They shouldn't have allowed every other driver from every other city to drive in Austin. Its just making traffic worse and making it horrible for people that live here. And not to mention, I can bet people are being lazy and not even walking down the block since Ubering is so cheap this in turn just congests the roads with more cars.

I thought Texas was a free state?

UberRR

I agree with Monica. The out-of-town drivers should not be allowed to drive during festival. There are to many dynamic street closings and one-ways for an out-of-towner to know how to get around well. Leave it to the folks who know the city and understand the festival. This is my 15th so I think I know the festival.

frndthDuvel

I agree with Monica. The out-of-town drivers should not be allowed to drive during festival. There are to many dynamic street closings and one-ways for an out-of-towner to know how to get around well. Leave it to the folks who know the city and understand the festival. This is my 15th so I think I know the festival.
If drivers are willing to risk their ratings dealing with strange roads , why should other drivers care ?

Casuale Haberdasher

Yes, Texas is a free state, but lets be fair: this is OUR city, and we bust our asses to make Uber happen here all year long. If they want to come, fine, but truly Austin partners should get FIRST DIBS on all pings. Period. No fkg way should I be sitting around twiddling my thumbs for a fkg HOUR with no pings in the midst of a surge zone down=town. All week long I'm sitting in surge zones and getting ZERO, so I know the pings are going to guys that are geographically closer, regardless of who they are. I have a friend who drives one of the sweetest Select vehicles in town who just hung it up and went to the movies tonight - in the middle of SXSW - after spending TWO hours with ZERO pings. Its bullshit. The city is over-saturated with out of town Ubers. I am not a noob, I know what I'm doing, but I made a whopping $100 in 5 hours today, and I drive Select. Sorry, that's pathetic. This is a clear example of the lack of loyalty Uber demonstrates for the people that make its money. It is the very reason there is so much anger on these message boards. Uber has missed a fundamental cardinal rule of every successful business: cultivate LOYALTY among your team, and your team will win for you. Uber will not win long term. This is obviously a short-term strategy for the few at the top. They do not give two shits for the drivers, the CSRs, or the pax. This is a short-term concept with another end in mind, and it is not to make Uber a successful transportation alternative. So here we are at a time we should be making BANK, and we're competing against each other. Bullshit.
POST # 11 /@Yankee : Sing it from the
rooftops
Brother! As I told a Greenhorn Mexican
Driver in their SubForum "TK is greedy,
evil and very sneaky. The chupacabra
is less dangerous."

Yankee

Well, i looked at what I wrote and wanted to delete it. Its just anger at some things, and misdirecting it. I can't begrudge these guys for wanting to come make a living, and going through the same struggles I am. So for that remark I apologize. Wrong. Remind me not to make remarks after midnight.

Sam M.

Yeah, just tonight some idiot drove west on e 7th, under the bridge, and turned right onto 35 frontage south and almost hit me. These out of town ubers are starting to bug the crap outta me!

UberRR

POST # 11 /@Yankee : Sing it from the
rooftops
Brother! As I told a Greenhorn Mexican
Driver in their SubForum "TK is greedy,
evil and very sneaky. The chupacabra
is less dangerous."
I agree 100%. The Austin drivers should ALWAYS be pinged first BEFORE ANY out-of-town driver just as it should be in your own city. Uber is NOT doing the Austin drivers right by just randomly pinging. Out-of-towners should be getting ONLY the overflow business. As it's been said, everyone has bills to pay and this is a time folks here can get a little ahead but not with the party crashers. Do us all a favor and stay in your own cities during ACL.

Monica rodriguez

If drivers are willing to risk their ratings dealing with strange roads , why should other drivers care ?

Because its creating too much traffic and backing up the roads. If all these drivers were not here it would not be as crazy as it is. And most drivers (I know they are not from Austin) are taking wrong turns, honking like they fell asleep on the steering wheel, turning left on a RED light and what not. The Austin drivers (cabbies, chauffeurs, uber/lyft drivers etc) already have to deal with entitled passengers to top all this off they have non-Austin drivers to deal with.

Monica rodriguez

Well, i looked at what I wrote and wanted to delete it. Its just anger at some things, and misdirecting it. I can't begrudge these guys for wanting to come make a living, and going through the same struggles I am. So for that remark I apologize. Wrong. Remind me not to make remarks after midnight.

I feel you're right. I know everybody wants to make money but this festival is in Austin and Austin has enough drivers to give rides so they should not have non-Austin drivers come in the city like that.

First, they do not know the city. Second, it just backs up the roads more. Third, ride-sharing drivers have no training so its not safe to allow them in cities that they have no idea of.

GDB

Had a wrong way driver come at me at the same location last weekend. But that's not really uncommon when Austin closes half the roads and the other half are under construction.

This is the only city I know of that sells cookies shaped and decorated like traffic cones and traffic barrels.

UberRR

Party Crashers, let me help you out here, for OUR own safety. Odd streets are one way east. Even streets are one way west. North and south streets alternate one ways. They're all Texas river names if you hadn't figured that out. Downtown is bordered by Lamar to the west, 35 to the east, MLK to the north and the Colorado river to the south (yes that is the Colorado river we call Lady Bird). There are exceptions to the above notably Ceasar Chaves, 1st, Congress and the myriad of street closures and reductions. Now that's downtown, as for the rest, you're on your own.