Switching personal insurance provider to Intact

TdotUber

I'm creating this thread for all active and future uber (ride sharing) drivers in Ontario who doesn't have uber friendly personal insurance provider. To let you guys know how I recently switched my insurance provider from "xyz" (not uber friendly) to Intact (uber friendly). In addition, I will be adding some random rants as to my experience in this past year... I truly believe for the ones who are open to read this, it will help you guys.

I have been an active driver for little over a year now in Toronto and like majority of us using this platform for either part time or full time basis, my previous personal insurance provider has not been uber friendly...

Regardless of whether or not we were still covered by "uber's previous shady insurance," was it smart for me to continue driving knowing God forbid if something goes wrong I can be facing some serious issues, not really... Then I asked myself almost all the time in this past year why the hell am I putting myself through this risk. The only answer I came up with was, "it just felt right doing it..." Sometimes we just need to go with the flow and let the universe guide us accordingly...

I love driving and doing this 30-50 hours a week for little over a year has personsally not changed that fact for me... My personal driving is on top of these hours I put with uber... My rating fluctuates from 4.90-4.91 with over 5,000 trips under my belt... I started last year in July, so basically I still paid my HST and income tax for the year combined with other income. And yes I will be paying HST and income tax moving forward every year... Since all the income is tracked, their is no point of playing games with the Cra, as it eventually will catch up to us, if we don't pay... I don't need any extra headache...

In regards to switching my insurance provider to intact, I recently just searched online and came up with this brokers website http://www.buckleyins.com/uber-insurance/... I contacted them through the link on the page above and a broker named "Ryan Price" contacted me through email in a couple of days... We went back and forth through emails and phone calls and I can tell you guys through experience with previous customer service, Ryan was one of the best individuals I had a pleasure to deal with in regards to insurance... He explained everything in details and was very friendly to deal with...

My premium went up by little over $100 a month but at least now I don't need to be worried by what if something goes wrong driving out their... We went over the details and decided to go with a coverage that suits my needs at this time and on top of that my broker and intact officially knows on the record that I'm driving uber... No minimum or maximum hours headache either... I can drive as little or as many hours as I please...

Guys I'm only sharing this because I know how stressful it was for me doing this the way this system was set up in the past... Since uber and ride sharing as a whole is fully legal in Toronto now it just made sense for me to go with the switch moving forward...

($100 x 12 =$1,200 bucks extra annually for personal uber friendly insurance is literally less than 10 days of "net" uber income for me personally) after all expense...

Do your thing guys and like always keep grinding...

Ps: I had asked Ryan if I would get any referal bonuses and with respect he had told me they are not allowed as per their own rules and regulations... I'm still creating this thread as my honest experience with this broker and hopefully send some more business to him because he deserves it... And guys it's just less of a headache to all of us...

Broker info:
Name: Ryan Price
Email: [email protected]

Attachments

Last edited:

Andy3131

I'm creating this thread for all active and future uber (ride sharing) drivers in Ontario who doesn't have uber friendly personal insurance provider. To let you guys know how I recently switched my insurance provider from "xyz" (not uber friendly) to Intact (uber friendly). In addition, I will be adding some random rants as to my experience in this past year... I truly believe for the ones who are open to read this, it will help you guys.

I have been an active driver for little over a year now in Toronto and like majority of us using this platform for either part time or full time basis, my previous personal insurance provider has not been uber friendly...

Regardless of whether or not we were still covered by "uber's previous shady insurance," was it smart for me to continue driving knowing God forbid if something goes wrong I can be facing some serious issues, not really... Then I asked myself almost all the time in this past year why the hell am I putting myself through this risk. The only answer I came up with was, "it just felt right doing it..." Sometimes we just need to go with the flow and let the universe guide us accordingly...

I love driving and doing this 30-50 hours a week for little over a year has personsally not changed that fact for me... My personal driving is on top of these hours I put with uber... My rating fluctuates from 4.90-4.91 with over 5,000 trips under my belt... I started last year in July, so basically I still paid my HST and income tax for the year combined with other income. And yes I will be paying HST and income tax moving forward every year... Since all the income is tracked, their is no point of playing games with the Cra, as it eventually will catch up to us, if we don't pay... I don't need any extra headache...

In regards to switching my insurance provider to intact, I recently just searched online and came up with this brokers website http://www.buckleyins.com/uber-insurance/... I contacted them through the link on the page above and a broker named "Ryan Price" contacted me through email in a couple of days... We went back and forth through emails and phone calls and I can tell you guys through experience with previous customer service, Ryan was one of the best individuals I had a pleasure to deal with in regards to insurance... He explained everything in details and was very friendly to deal with...

My premium went up by little over $100 a month but at least now I don't need to be worried by what if something goes wrong driving out their... We went over the details and decided to go with a coverage that suits my needs at this time and on top of that my broker and intact officially knows on the record that I'm driving uber... No minimum or maximum hours headache either... I can drive as little or as many hours as I please...

Guys I'm only sharing this because I know how stressful it was for me doing this the way this system was set up in the past... Since uber and ride sharing as a whole is fully legal in Toronto now it just made sense for me to go with the switch moving forward...

($100 x 12 =$1,200 bucks extra annually for personal uber friendly insurance is literally less than 10 days of "net" uber income for me personally) after all expense...

Do your thing guys and like always keep grinding...

Ps: I had asked Ryan if I would get any referal bonuses and with respect he had told me they are not allowed as per their own rules and regulations... I'm still creating this thread as my honest experience with this broker and hopefully send some more business to him because he deserves it... And guys it's just less of a headache to all of us...

Broker info:
Name: Ryan Price
Email: [email protected]
Actually, most brokers if not all carry Intact and Intact distributes also without brokers through its Direct writing company Belair. Feel free to call any broker of your choice or Belair Direct.

TdotUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Absolutely... I'm just sharing my experience... Like I said do what best suits you guys.... Good luck...

One Star

So why did your cost increase by $1200/year?
Is your current coverage substantially different than that from your previous provider to warrant such an increase?
Is there a specific ride share endorsement on your policy?
It was my understanding there would not be an extra charge over and above personal coverage if using intact?

Andy3131

So why did your cost increase by $1200/year?
Is your current coverage substantially different than that from your previous provider to warrant such an increase?
Is there a specific ride share endorsement on your policy?
It was my understanding there would not be an extra charge over and above personal coverage if using intact?
Because Intact has higher rates. They do not add the rideshare endorsement.

One Star

Ok, so then you are still paying extra, pretty much the same as if you were under Aviva and had the ride share endorsement, no?

Andy3131

Ok, so then you are still paying extra, pretty much the same as if you were under Aviva and had the ride share endorsement, no?
No depends of your profile. They target some type of clientele. If you fit with their target, you might pay cheaper.

pedro_pendukot

My personal insurance which is not Uber friendly will expire on September this year. I've been shopping around for Uber friendly brokers. So far I have a quote from Uber friendly insurance Bel Air direct. It was actually cheaper by $10/month. I will still have to contact Intact and get a quote from them, otherwise I will switch with Bel Air.

pedro_pendukot

Check with Bel Air Direct. My insurance quote from them was actually cheaper by $10/month. I might switch with them at the end of September.

TdotUber

I was getting discounts on multiple vehicles and home with my previous insurance provider... As my insurance was renewing for only the car I drive and use for uber, I made the switch with intact so I don't have to pay a penalty down the line... I will be switching my others cars and home pretty soon as well... At that time I will receive the multi vehicle and home discount as well... (Less 25-28% overall)

With intact I only have personal insurance and yes it's actually $2 million (standard with intact) then $1 million with previous provider but that didn't raise my rate... My premium went up only because of the discounts I was getting previously... The only security net I have now is that my insurance company knows I do uber full time... And that means a lot...

One Star

Ok, so when you say full time, are you also saying that Intact does not limit you under your personal insurance to 20 hours like the Aviva endorsement does?

Can anyone confirm this?

UberZF

Ok, so when you say full time, are you also saying that Intact does not limit you under your personal insurance to 20 hours like the Aviva endorsement does?

Can anyone confirm this?
I've had the same discussion with 3 separate brokers....
Aviva Limits you... bu Intact/BelAir do not.

TdotUber

Can anyone confirm this?
No limits with intact... Your personal policy covers you when you are not ubering... Uber's blanket policy by intact covers you when you turn on the app till you drop off the passenger... Therefore no limits for the number of hours...

This is all so new at this time and intact is the only company that allows full time drivers with no restrictions... Down the line more insurance companies will follow the same open policy as well...

Andy3131

My personal insurance which is not Uber friendly will expire on September this year. I've been shopping around for Uber friendly brokers. So far I have a quote from Uber friendly insurance Bel Air direct. It was actually cheaper by $10/month. I will still have to contact Intact and get a quote from them, otherwise I will switch with Bel Air.
Belair is a subsidiary of Intact but they diatribute directly to clients. Intact distributes trough brokers. Don't get mixed up between brokers and direct writers my friend.

Andy3131

No limits with intact... Your personal policy covers you when you are not ubering... Uber's blanket policy by intact covers you when you turn on the app till you drop off the passenger... Therefore no limits for the number of hours...

This is all so new at this time and intact is the only company that allows full time drivers with no restrictions... Down the line more insurance companies will follow the same open policy as well...
This is right, also just make sure you understand that even if you buy a policy with Intact, when you are Ubering, you get only get the coverage that Uber agreed with Intact on, so 1M Liability while waiting for pings, 2M while driving pax, the deductible is always $1,000 and you while online with Uber, the addons to your intact policy do not apply (replacement vehicle while yours gets repaired following an accident, replacement cost insurance, etc.).

One Star

So you're getting extra commercial liability coverage while online and, but are actually losing some personal coverage at the same time (loss of use or replacement value endorsements)?

That doesn't seem to make sense. You actually have less non-liability coverage then.

If that's the case, you are paying for endorsements you are not receiving the benefit of while online.

Andy3131

So you're getting extra commercial liability coverage while online and, but are actually losing some personal coverage at the same time (loss of use or replacement value endorsements)?

That doesn't seem to make sense. You actually have less non-liability coverage then.

If that's the case, you are paying for endorsements you are not receiving the benefit of while online.
Exactly. Belair and my broker confirmed this to me. Only way to keep all coverages is to purchase Aviva policy with the endorsement limiting you to 20 hours a week.

TdotUber

The $2 million for personal through intact is standard... I'm not paying anything extra for that... And the deductible is what it is...

Ubers blanket policy with intact is based on three phases. Check attached again... Their's no option for us in that respect... Guys at-least we are not paying an arm n leg for commercial insurance - be gratefull...

Regardless this is what's out their which is available to cover ourself all around... And for me personally that's more important than paying few extra bucks...

Attachments

Andy3131

The $2 million for personal through intact is standard... I'm not paying anything extra for that... And the deductible is what it is...

Ubers blanket policy with intact is based on three phases. Check attached again... Their's no option for us in that respect... Guys at-least we are not paying an arm n leg for commercial insurance - be gratefull...

Regardless this is what's out their which is available to cover ourself all around... And for me personally that's more important than paying few extra bucks...
Yeah I am not paying an arm and leg but if I get an accident not doing uber and my car is a total loss, I will get 37k from the insurance company (replacement cost endorsement). If it is while ubering, I will get 20k. This is a very different game.

TdotUber

Yeah I am not paying an arm and leg but if I get an accident not doing uber and my car is a total loss, I will get 37k from the insurance company (replacement cost endorsement). If it is while ubering, I will get 20k. This is a very different game.
Agreed and like I mentioned at this point that is the only option we have available... It's better then nothing...

Although no one is sure what the payment will be if something does goes wrong while ubering... At least our backs are covered... Not fully, but I'm good with this for now man...