• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

SURVIVAL TIPS for the Austin Airport TNC lots

Ziggy

UPDATED SURVIVAL TIPS: (updated info in bold)

SURVIVAL TIPS for the Austin Airport TNC lots (or how to prevent from getting a ticket):

1. Only park in a marked, legal parking space
  2. If there are no parking spaces leave the lots and drive somewhere else in the city. When the lot is full, it's full & Airport Security has started ticketing drivers for circling the lot, double parking or parking in unmarked spots.
  3. There are only 3 handicapped spaces in the big TNC lot if you don't have DV plates or a valid placard, don't park in them
  4. Enter the big lot with “right” turns only (enter from the direction of the gas stations).
  5. Exit the big lot with a "right" turn (now it’s illegal to turn left and could result in an APD or Airport ticket)
  6. Exit the little lot to the right for easiest access to the passenger pickup garage
  7. Don't hide spare phones in the lot or in a friend's car. If you're not in the lot with your car, then your phone shouldn't be either. Airport Security has already confiscated 10+ phones that drivers have "hidden" in the lot to hold their place in the queue while they took another trip.
  8. Don't leave your phone "charging" in the TNC building unattended for an extended time. *recently a driver left his phone for over 30 minutes unattended (he wasn't in the building and no one knew whose phone it was and after it pinged it was picked up by Airport Security as an "abandoned phone"). **if you leave your phone anywhere on the TNC lot unattended and no one knows whose phone it is, most drivers are going to assume that this is a "mafia" phone or someone trying to steal trips). ***another driver discovered a phone hidden in a tree just outside the big TNC lot, but before Airport Security could collect the phone from the tree the driver who put it there grabbed it from the tree
  9. Don't make U-turns on either side of the cones in front of the big TNC lot. *making U-turns across 2 sets of double-yellow lines on the road violates Texas Law and will result in Airport Security preventing you from entering the TNC lot and could result in a ticket
  10. Only pick up main terminal pax at the GTC (ground transportation center) *the new garage pickup area for taxi & TNC (regardless of what the pax or app says)
  11. Don't drop off pax at the GTC (ground transportation center). *the GTC is for picking up pax only
  12. Read & follow the other rules posted in the break room in the big TNC lot
  13. Obey all instructions from Airport Security - if you don't, it may result in a ticket.

While most traffic enforcement is happening in the big TNC lot, dozens of drivers were ticketed in the small lot for parking illegally. When in doubt follow 1-13 above.

Arguably, there will never be enough parking spaces at the airport to accommodate all TNC drivers in Austin - consider yourself lucky when you get a parking space and the queue is moving fast. Drivers who don't hang out at the airport tend to make more money than those who primarily take trips originating at the airport.

The big TNC lot has 80 regular + 3 handicapped spaces and the small lot has 30 regular + 1 handicapped spaces. And while you may want to park next to your friend, your best bet is to drive slowly (5MPH) into the lot and grab the 1st open space that you see - there are no reserved spaces in the lot (other than handicapped - which requires either DV plates or valid handicap placard) - the 2 unmarked spaces closest to the exit fence on the right as you exit are reserved for Airport Traffic Enforcement (so don't park there). Several fights have broken out over parking spots on the TNC lot and recently one driver kicked & damaged another driver's door because he wanted to park next to his friend. Best bet is to park in the 1st available parking space and then walk across the lot to hang out with your friends - as I'm sure that the city is keeping tabs of how many times Austin Police needed to respond to 911 calls for the TNC lot and likely they'll add additional restrictions to keep the peace on the lot.

TNC Lots:
  • big TNC lot (9220 Rental Car Road) (map) (street view) = 80 spaces + 3 handicap spaces
    • ULR
  • small lot (2730 Spirit of Texas Drive) (map) (street view) = 30 spaces + 1 handicap
    • ULR
  • H Lot (9341 Rental Car Road) (map) (street view) = 346 spaces + 24 handicap
    • LR
Granted H Lot is temporary, but it has portable bathrooms and I doubt that it will ever fill up. If it does fill up, then I hope you brought a book and a snack cause you’re gonna be waiting for a long time.

Currently, you can’t get an Uber ping from H Lot, but if enough drivers complain to the Uber hub then they might fix the geofencing issue. All rideshare companies were notified by Airport Operations that rideshare cars could park in H Lot for TNC Staging, only Uber has not added geofencing to that lot.

AustinAD99

Well,
Finally heard back from Lyft on my DT/Airport/DT (round trip lost bag grab - not a true AP pickup) gotcha. Glad that other AP workerbee was chill when I dropped off at the TNC pickup elevators due to not being able to find the up ramp to the rental car area (one floor above TNC dropoff) or it would have been two strikes.

Just a txt from them saying I'd been flagged for picking up in a no pickup zone and that if I get three strikes no more AP pickups for me.
Haven't gone to the Hub to chat but never to be able to do much up there but update insurance etc. as they have no real power to do much more than that it seems.

Ziggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well,
Finally heard back from Lyft on my DT/Airport/DT (round trip lost bag grab - not a true AP pickup) gotcha. Glad that other AP workerbee was chill when I dropped off at the TNC pickup elevators due to not being able to find the up ramp to the rental car area (one floor above TNC dropoff) or it would have been two strikes.

Just a txt from them saying I'd been flagged for picking up in a no pickup zone and that if I get three strikes no more AP pickups for me.
Haven't gone to the Hub to chat but never to be able to do much up there but update insurance etc. as they have no real power to do much more than that it seems.
FYI- the correct place to drop pax who need a rental car at the airport is at arrivals (downstairs); though if you want to be ultra safe drop off upstairs.

AustinAD99

FYI- the correct place to drop pax who need a rental car at the airport is at arrivals (downstairs); though if you want to be ultra safe drop off upstairs.
Yeah, that's where I planned on dropping pax but she said she had everything done online and they had the keys waiting at the car for her.
Just glad it didn't cost me a 2nd strike.

Have noticed a number of TNC 'Hawks' keeping an eye on the drop off area...keeping an eye on us like we're a public danger now.

Ziggy

UPDATE: While Uber has still not geofenced the H Lot or the Small Lot or the South Terminal Lot (for that matter). Through rigorous testing (I took one for the gang) ... I was able to determine that you can collect Surge outside of the Big TNC Lot, all you need to do is drive slowly 5-10MPH past the entrance to the Big TNC Lot and this works driving in either direction past the Big TNC Lot. Additionally, I was able to get a ping outside the Big TNC Lot (between the entrance gate and the Stop sign closest to Freight Lane).

So when the Big TNC Lot is full, don't sweat it because you can get Surge & pinged.

Kenj19

Just to be clear, if I'm taking someone to the airport, I can drop them off at the regular check in area up top right? With all this crap going on now, it's the only reason I'll be near the airport.

Ziggy

Just to be clear, if I'm taking someone to the airport, I can drop them off at the regular check in area up top right? With all this crap going on now, it's the only reason I'll be near the airport.
Yes - you can drop off either upstairs (departures) or downstairs (arrivals) ... with no issue from Airport Security. In fact, if you were to drop off your pax at the new GTC pickup area ... then you would have a problem. Best bet is to drop off upstairs at Departures.

Ziggy

Video instructions for Drivers to get to new pick up area:
*if you pick up anywhere else for any reason your car will get an NOV (notice of violation) and 3 NOV will likely result in suspension of your airport privileges.

Video instructions for Pax to get to new pick up area:
Post automatically merged:

Post automatically merged:

Last edited:

Ziggy

When picking up at GTC, only park & load in the designated color-coded zones (Yellow 1-4, Red 1-4, Blue 1-3) ... if you park & load pax in the roadway between Yellow & Red or Blue & Taxis, likely you will get an NOV (notice of violation ... security takes picture of your vehicle) ... and as always 3 NOVs = $500 Ticket = Airport Ban by ULR