Surges? Am I losing my mind??

nastyn8

I'm starting to think I'm losing my mind.

I've been driving for Uber since June and I've had my fair share of surge trips, so I'm aware of the normal surge times of the day and what the map looks like. But ever since the update a couple weeks ago, I haven't seen the map light up a single time. I'm using an iPad mini and even downloaded the partner app on my iPhone to see if maybe there was an issue with my iPad, but I'm seeing the same map. The reason I think I'm going crazy is because when I hit "go offline" I get the message "are you sure? Surge is currently 1.9X", Yesterday morning during the snow storm it got up to 3.9X, but I don't see a single yellow, orange, or red zone/hexagon/whatever!! I zoom in and out of all the areas around Cambridge, around southie, north end, Brookline, NOTHING! Not a single hexagon or shaded area.... Wtf is going on!? I emailed Uber and they gave me the same bs email about how to identify surge zones... Real helpful...

2500hd

Unfortunately surges have gone the way of. The Dodo bird. I keep seeing that ghost surge when I sign off also. There are just way too many drivers in Boston now chasing crumbs .The race is on....to the bottom . I am literally seeing old Asian women as uber drivers now.Its like they gave up collecting bottles and cans to go drive for uber wtf

Mack143

I've been driving for Uber since June and I've had my fair share of surge trips, so I'm aware of the normal surge times of the day and what the map looks like. But ever since the update a couple weeks ago, I haven't seen the map light up a single time. I'm using an iPad mini and even downloaded the partner app on my iPhone to see if maybe there was an issue with my iPad, but I'm seeing the same map. The reason I think I'm going crazy is because when I hit "go offline" I get the message "are you sure? Surge is currently 1.9X", Yesterday morning during the snow storm it got up to 3.9X, but I don't see a single yellow, orange, or red zone/hexagon/whatever!! I zoom in and out of all the areas around Cambridge, around southie, north end, Brookline, NOTHING! Not a single hexagon or shaded area.... Wtf is going on!? I emailed Uber and they gave me the same bs email about how to identify surge zones... Real helpful...

Nasty,

I've had the exact same thing. I thought the app was messed up. Unfortunately it's not.

One thing to remember is that all the students are gone on break and business travel is way down this time of year and they form the base that will ultimately drive the surge back hopefully.

But this all started with the new app a few weeks ago, before the students vanished. The new surge zones are IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND and no way the driver knows the rate until they get a call.. A real downer and could end my UBER experience on a bad note. I might drop into Boston office to complain but I think Ubers analysis dictates how they maximize profits and they must think less surge brings more riders in and with plenty of drivers there is no supply-demand issue and therefore no surge. The new app is a killer. Maybe stay out of downtown and focus on longer trips on rh burbs. 7 of my 12 trips last night netted under $5. I threw in the towel and crawled home.

Realityshark

Uber is playing games with you. As long as they have drivers willing to log on for poverty rates, make believe surges and unpaid guarantees, they will keep screwing you over.

If history repeats itself, Uber will keep coming up with new creative ways to abuse their drivers as long as they have drivers willing to take it.

The simple act of logging on to the drivers app, is telling Uber "Thank you sir, may I have another."

2500hd

Just got one of those uber guarantees ...complete 200 rides on New Years blah blah. They should make it more interesting... Something like the uber driver that has the most riders hurl in their car wins ..but each time a rider blows chunks there must be dash cam footage as proof

Folks, the good old days are OVER. There are just wayyyyy tooooo mannyyyyy drivers out there. Uber's strategy is to have as many drivers out there to keep people moving at the lowest price possible. Uber pool is like a bus service, make out of the way stops, more hassle, and for the same rate? Please, this is Uber's way to move more and more people at almost MBTA fares. The new surge map is to pinpoint a small area where there is demand, and with 1000's of cars out there, everyone will drive to that spot and the surge will be over is minutes - reason you don't see many surges any more. Uber sucks now! The pay is definitely below minimum wage these days. No incentive to work for Uber anymore. NYE will NOT be what you expect, it will be steadily but not many surges.

Golfermack

Uber is playing games with you. As long as they have drivers willing to log on for poverty rates, make believe surges and unpaid guarantees, they will keep screwing you over.

If history repeats itself, Uber will keep coming up with new creative ways to abuse their drivers as long as they have drivers willing to take it.

The simple act of logging on to the drivers app, is telling Uber "Thank you sir, may I have another."
So, can I assume correctly that you're not driving for Uber? If that's the case, why are you on this forum, for over a year, wasting your time trying to persuade others to stop driving for Uber? Why do you care so much to spend so much time doing this?

Is it because you're still driving, and trying to cut down on the amount of other drivers to increase your income?

2500hd

I'm really starting to sense a personality disorder in Golfermack. Very confrontational whenever someone disparages uber . Things will continue to get worse if drivers keep driving for less than minimum wage . The spokeswoman for Uber is in today's Globe telling everyone to take Uberpool for NYE. That's just dandy. Give it away for free on the backs of the drivers.

tb1984

I'm really starting to sense a personality disorder in Golfermack. Very confrontational whenever someone disparages uber . Things will continue to get worse if drivers keep driving for less than minimum wage . The spokeswoman for Uber is in today's Globe telling everyone to take Uberpool for NYE. That's just dandy. Give it away for free on the backs of the drivers.
You know that you don't have to drive, right? There are tons of fast food restaurants in Boston that are hiring. Everything that you have posted, are either whining or complaining. Why do you have to torture yourself? Quit driving already and make everyone including yourself happy.

You know what easy money never lasts forever. We get it, it was great money last year, the year before, etc... but it is now.

Unfortunately surges have gone the way of. The Dodo bird. I keep seeing that ghost surge when I sign off also. There are just way too many drivers in Boston now chasing crumbs .The race is on....to the bottom . I am literally seeing old Asian women as uber drivers now.Its like they gave up collecting bottles and cans to go drive for uber wtf
Really? Yeah tough guy behind keyboard.

2500hd

You know that you don't have to drive, right? There are tons of fast food restaurants in Boston that are hiring. Everything that you have posted, are either whining or complaining. Why do you have to torture yourself? Quit driving already and make everyone including yourself happy.

You know what easy money never lasts forever. We get it, it was great money last year, the year before, etc... but it is now.

Really? Yeah tough guy behind keyboard.
Look you old fart. Not everyone drives to get away from the old lady and for farts and giggles. You are retired and receiving social security and who knows what else .you have been accused many times of working for uber corporate due to your uber ass kissing

tb1984

Look you old fart. Not everyone drives to get away from the old lady and for farts and giggles. You are retired and receiving social security and who knows what else .you have been accused many times of working for uber corporate due to your uber ass kissing
Not surprise at all. Lazy attacks and you know nothing about me, I think you even messed me up with Golfermack... haha.

People like you are problems to this society. Everything is me, me and me first, and everyone else is garbage in your eyes.

2500hd

Just a driver who is witnessing a once pretty good side gig completely bleep the bed due to a race to the bottom with uberfool. I have been back driving for a week after a 9 month hiatus. I own a construction company. Apparently I have offended your full time uber gig. You lashed out at me. But if you want throw rocks from the peanut gallery ...knock yourself out

tb1984

Just a driver who is witnessing a once pretty good side gig completely bleep the bed due to a race to the bottom with uberfool. I have been back driving for a week after a 9 month hiatus. I own a construction company. Apparently I have offended your full time uber gig. You lashed out at me. But if you want throw rocks from the peanut gallery ...knock yourself out
Again, you know nothing about me, so please don't assume anything. How do you know it's my full time job?

Again, you don't have to drive. Quit driving and make yourself and everyone else around you happy.

Again, easy money never lasts forever.

But if you want throw rocks from the peanut gallery ...knock yourself out
Only because you're a keyboard warrior with comments like this, i.e:

I am literally seeing old Asian women as uber drivers now.Its like they gave up collecting bottles and cans to go drive for uber wtf
You own a company, and you have this attitude as a boss? I would like to meet your employees.

2500hd

Nope... I will talk like that straight in your face. I don't hide behind keyboard and talk trash.
I would wipe my arse with you pajama boy. Now go get your crap together and get a real job.. Cmon get it together..go back to college and contribute to society...and learn to mind your own business

tb1984

I would wipe my arse with you pajama boy. Now go get your crap together and get a real job.. Cmon get it together..go back to college and contribute to society...and learn to mind your own business
Umm... haha. Just calm down and relax. Again, you know nothing about me. Now, I really want to talk to your employees about you.