Uber Drivers Forum banner

Surge

585 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  El Janitor 
#1 ·
I just noticed Uber is hiding the surge. I wasn’t online and there was surge everywhere and when I logged on I got $2 surge but everywhere else became ghost like. Has that ever happened to anyone? This is not the first time

#2 ·
With the new surge you drive into the surge area until you have a guaranteed amount on your next trip. Stay online and your next trip will have the same amount of "Surge" attached to it (Pick up location doesn't matter as long as you don't go offline or reject a trip).

That's how it's supposed to work in theory. But just like everything else fUber does, sometimes there will be fake surges, suppressed surges and even being cheated out of the guaranteed surge pay. After all, your boss is an app and apps tend to get.....glitchy.

#4 ·
I saw the surge and the moment I logged in it just show blank. I call support and she wasn’t willing to answer the question I asked her. 10 mins later the surge started showing. I asked if they transparent enough why are they hiding information that is meant for driver been an independent contractors? But right now it looks like they restored it. It upsetting when the system is been sobotage.

#5 ·
IT DOESN'T MEAN THERE ARE MORE PASSENGERS, JUST NO DRIVERS IN THAT AREA.

Surge has changed. They use it now to get drivers to areas that have few drivers. So when I see a $5 red zone in Dallas, PA I know there is no other drivers out there. You'd be a fool to go out there and sit until you get a ping. I'll take a known active area over the 'IOU' of a 'surge'.

#7 ·
My question is once you drive through a surge area (say for example a $15 surge area) once the surge goes away. Who pays that extra $15 for the surge price?

I’ve been in instance I’ll drive through a $15 surge area but won’t get a request for 20 minutes after everything has gone back to normal. Will a pax that waited the surge out still have to pay that $15 surge I picked up? Or does Uber eat it. :eek:-o:

#8 ·
My question is once you drive through a surge area (say for example a $15 surge area) once the surge goes away. Who pays that extra $15 for the surge price?

I've been in instance I'll drive through a $15 surge area but won't get a request for 20 minutes after everything has gone back to normal. Will a pax that waited the surge out still have to pay that $15 surge I picked up? Or does Uber eat it. :eek:-o:
Uber does. If you have a sticky surge and the surge has ended, uber eats that so to speak. Or if you drive through an area pick up the sticky and go to area that isn't surging. Uber still eats it.

#11 · (Edited)
Funny thing about surge. I said, don't chase the surge. why, because it eludes you about 99% of the time when you get close you see that it was all just to get you to an area. So I had lunch, and thought, I don't like picking up in this part of town, I think I'll drive to a touristy area with less hazards. So I put my Uber Driver app in the background and set it as offline so I couldn't see it. I arrive 14 miles away and say ok so let's see what we get here, and I notice by chance wow 3x surge lucky me, and (GASP) I'm smack in the middle of it! So I go online and magically about 3 seconds before I get a ping about 200 ft from where I'm stopped at a red light the surge magically disappears. WOW that's so awesome! So how would you explain that?

Anyhow later after I was tired of driving in another part of town I said I'm going home, I'm tired, set the app to offline and I see again a surge, eh whatever. We learned about this already. So I'm driving and i notice it's flashing at me. So I've never seen it do that before flashing at me? yes I see the surge, yes I see 2x rate, yes I remember what you did to me a few hours ago. Sorry the algorithm did to me, ( because it's all automated, no human assistance here). I continue to drive through the surge the app flashes at me several more times. No no I'm awake I see you want my attention. I'm not playing this game, give it to another driver, I'm done playing games for the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.