Surge vs. Pre-priced rides

DopeyDaDriver

I know that we all are @@@@@ing about the way Uber is manipulating surges. Does it not make sense that they are capping it or keeping it down so that they reap more from their pre-priced rides.

In the past both Uber and the driver have benefited from surge pricing. Now, Uber can determine that an airport ride is worth $60 to a pax on Monday morning from the northern 'burbs, keep surge off, and pocket the difference rather than share it with the driver.

I used to like early airport rides but there is no chance of rematch, I make $25-35 bucks, but deadhead a good portion of my morning.

I realize that I should dive into downtown/midtown/Buckhead but by the time you take somebody 2 miles to work for minimum ride income in insane traffic it just doesn't add up.

I try to appreciate Uber and the opportunity to make a little money and usually try to "see" both sides of all arguments but don't want to feel used... naive as an old man I suppose I am.

Its just a game trying to figure out the winning strategy against an opponent that holds all the cards.

negeorgia

Uber changes from month to month. Some things I thought would never happen, have. My only take is keep expenses as low as possible. A paid for car that I don't actually need has worked out for me. Keeping frustrations to a minimum? I ask myself what can I control. The hours is about it.

STJ

I know that we all are *****ing about the way Uber is manipulating surges. Does it not make sense that they are capping it or keeping it down so that they reap more from their pre-priced rides.

In the past both Uber and the driver have benefited from surge pricing. Now, Uber can determine that an airport ride is worth $60 to a pax on Monday morning from the northern 'burbs, keep surge off, and pocket the difference rather than share it with the driver.

But if they don't have enough drivers they will have to put the surge on to get more drivers in the area. I don't think it is keep the surge off to charge rider more and pocket the difference rather than share but rather just more that there is a glut of cars so they don't need to use the surge option as much.