Surge throttled when Uber has active quests

indydriver68

So I did a 3-ride streak with Uber at night this weekend. I swear I thought the 2nd and 3rd rides of the streak had small surges attached. When I checked later, they didn't give me surge pay, but I did get the 3-ride streak bonus. This wasn't the display bug on the bottom bar of the app. The surge amounts were displayed on the acceptance dialog box.

Is this deliberate and common?
If you had a flat rate surge show in the acceptance dialog box then you should have received that in addition to the consecutive bonus provided you completed the 3 ride streak. Friday night sucked here but Saturday night after 11pm took off with surging all over downtown and outer areas. On shorter rides I received the surge and consecutive trip bonus and on some of the longer runs even had the surge adjusted up as well as the consecutive bonus.

I broke the consecutive bonus a few times by declining a ride which was done since Uber likes to keep drawing you farther and farther out where there are a lot less drivers available to take rides when I want to go back toward downtown and areas where it’s surging. So each time I broke the consecutive trip bonus my trip history showed some note saying you declined a ride with a ! Inside a triangle in red like some warning sign that you did a bad thing. Lol .... F*** Uber...lol

Wild Bill Yahoo

It's illegal because they steal market value from the drivers and don't let the driver negotiate the contract, which is not how independent contractors work. They are tying market value into ridiculous quests, which is a veiled performance standards. Additionally, they are determining market value for themselves, not the driver, and handling all of the money. PayPal and eBay were broken up for these vary same reasons. There's no transparency and a conflict of interest.

It's not cheaper than litigating it. They settle because they are at fault.

You're delusional. IC's aren't entitled to any perceived market value. Thousands of IC's in all lines of work are payed an agreed amount for certain tasks. Even by the hour in a lot of cases. Construction, merchandising, legal, retail etc.

But wait... Ubers different... ya right :thumbup:

lyft_rat

Wrong. You can still be deactivated for excessive cancellations.
The consensus is that there is no evidence of deactivation based solely on excessive cancellation. In every reported case of deactivation there was something else fishy about the driver. On the other hand, there is little need to cancel often if you know your market and filter heavily on acceptance.

25rides7daysaweek

Surge is throttled from the driver's perspective, but Uber is still charging the passengers extra and taking 50-60%.

The quests are becoming a scam. When you ask driver support, they claim there is a lack of demand.

It will now be common to expect this behavior at the end of every quarter.

Time to lawyer up.
There sure was a lower demand yesterday....
Screenshot_20191101-134234_Uber Driver.jpg

nouberipo

Wrong. You can still be deactivated for excessive cancellations.

The obvious difference between these two scenarios is that we, as drivers, electronically accepted the terms under which we are paid. WE ARE STILL PAID UNDER THOSE TERMS, the ones we had to agree to in order to go online. What Uber charges the rider doesn't affect that in any way, at all.

Obviously as a driver I'd have appreciated each rider increase to increase my pay as well, but that it didn't doesn't violate our agreement with Uber at all. Since it is therefore a clear two party agreement - Uber wrote it, driver agreed to it - it seems unlikely any lawyer you'd "lawyer up" with world have a leg to stand on.
Drivers are paid under terms that for many means below minimum wage in the United States. Yes, drivers are employees no matter what they put in the two party agreement. They can write whatever they want in the agreement but it is not ethical nor legal in terms of employment laws and regulations which the courts are hearing now. I cannot believe the US has gotten to the point where they have to go to court to pay employees a minimum wage and benefits that are covered in employment laws. As Uber and Lyft act as rogue companies with no respect for the laws of this country, maybe they should base it out of the third world (there are already third world programmers programming the algorithms, third world crisis phone help, third world "driver support", and third world leadership. Just as in the third world, laws are viewed as not pertaining to them even though US employment laws and regulations were put in place BECAUSE of companies like Lyft and Uber who exploit workers and bring down society as a whole with their unethical, immoral, and illegal operations.
Post automatically merged:

So I did a 3-ride streak with Uber at night this weekend. I swear I thought the 2nd and 3rd rides of the streak had small surges attached. When I checked later, they didn't give me surge pay, but I did get the 3-ride streak bonus. This wasn't the display bug on the bottom bar of the app. The surge amounts were displayed on the acceptance dialog box.

Is this deliberate and common?
Deliberate and unethical. You should be getting the surge AND the quest as they are two separate things. Last night they did the same with two of my rides and after many phone calls to the third world call center in Manila finally got them to pay. It is very sad that you have to constantly take screenshots of any and all surges as they will lie as part of the Uber/Lyft cultures. Think about it, if they got away with taking just two dollars from each driver every day and if 1 million trips are made per day that would be millions of dollars stolen from drivers. Stealing is another law in the US but one that Uber and Lyft operate as if they are immune to it which with their money and connections are apparently so.

2smart2drive

So.... what exactly is illegal about selling a service on the open market and paying the expense (the driver) a set rate per mile/minute as per the agreed upon contract with the driver?

I don't get the illegality part. Can you explain please?
Post automatically merged:

It’s totally ‘legal’ (agree or leave) of the free market. But, the debate here is about Uber’s claim: their drivers are ‘’independent’ contractors. Uber is not a transportation company. It’s the logistics company. Uber had to cut many corners before its Tipping Point, and this is one of them:

I am an independent contractor in my main biz. I know the difference between being an independent contractor and what driving for Uber is... I set the prices. I have the tools to negotiate. BOTH parties are satisfied with an outcome (or their is no deal). I know (get informed) about my deals UPFRONT, before I can agree or decline (not AFTER as with Uber — the craziest thing ever: accept the ride, drive there, THEN, if you ‘don’t want it’, you can decline?). Uber’s biz model for the drivers is “don’t ask, do tell” — worked for them. Not for their drivers: the “how much, to where and how far“ are kept in secrets BECAUSE UBER KNOWS VERY WELL that most trips will be declined due to their unprofitably. Hmmmm.... But is it ‘legal’?
Uber’s drivers are treated like employees: pre-set (per mile and minute) prices; changed without notice, at any time. Drivers agreed to accept all deals (acceptance) without questioning. Rejections (unwanted & canceled) trips, although, are technically “allowed”, are highly punishable in many subtle ways and levels (this deals are forced, not “agreed upon”) — “no independence“ list goes on and on... Most people are inclined to agree that “independent L/Uber’s contractors” are hired workers, only with flexible schedules.

The scoop and borderlines of the ‘legality’ to call its workers ‘independent contractors’ instead, is yet to be determined.