Uber Drivers Forum banner

Surge symbol gone from customer app?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Disgusted Driver 
#1 ·
Yep checking out customer app today in spot it was surging and the little surge lightning bolt is gone? Makes it harder to figure crap out!

#4 ·
Yep, now you have to slide to the service and hit the button to see what the min fare is and then calculate for yourself what the multiplier is, pain in the ass, making it more likely that I will miss a surge on X and stick with select only. Not sure how this helps anyone other than to get the pax a little more likely to order when there's a surge on since they aren't notified till after they start the request.

#7 ·
Yep, now you have to slide to the service and hit the button to see what the min fare is and then calculate for yourself what the multiplier is, pain in the ass, making it more likely that I will miss a surge on X and stick with select only. Not sure how this helps anyone other than to get the pax a little more likely to order when there's a surge on since they aren't notified till after they start the request.
wow really?

#11 ·
They are eliminating the words "surge pricing" by giving a fare estimate instead. The surge still exists, it's just put in terms that are easier for people to understand, i.e. "your ride is going to cost $15 tonight" rather than "your ride is going to cost 3.2x what it normally would cost." This will lead to passengers thinking "this is a little more expensive than normal, but not too bad" and riding anyway rather than "It's surging? Eff that!" This means more riders during surge, leading to higher surges, leading to more money for us.

#12 ·
Sounds very plausible and certainly good marketing strategy at least at the first level of initiating the transaction. They are still making them confirm the surge rate I think, it's displayed on the second screen.
If you are driving X, it probably works out to your benefit but for me it's a new challenge. I have to decide when to do Select, to switch from Select to X and select, to log off and wait, or to take X only. When it's busy I was constantly checking the pax app and adjusting my strategy to maximize my earnings. So I have to come up with new techniques, my first stab at it wasn't that great last Sat. but I will get better at it.

I know, first world problem but an interesting curve thrown by Uber which I will do my best to make work for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.