Surge question

Yesterday I picked up Pax early afternoon downtown. My rides downtown were all surging. However, my longest furthest trip from DT to the boonies in far out mississauga was, naturally, non-surge, even though the entire area I was in was surging for hours before and hours after I completed the trip.

Am I missing something? Is this common? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm a total noob. Just seems odd that if I'm in an area that is clearly red on the map and for miles around me, it should always be a surge, right?

Manhoos

Yesterday I picked up Pax early afternoon downtown. My rides downtown were all surging. However, my longest furthest trip from DT to the boonies in far out mississauga was, naturally, non-surge, even though the entire area I was in was surging for hours before and hours after I completed the trip.

Am I missing something? Is this common? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm a total noob. Just seems odd that if I'm in an area that is clearly red on the map and for miles around me, it should always be a surge, right?
Surge is not static it goes up/down, on/off pretty quickly..
The driver app lag showing surge.. The customer app is the best resource to find updated surge info..