• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Surge Prices in KW Area

casanova82

Hello Kitchener-Waterloo Uber folks,

I was wondering if someone can please post the usual surge timing in KW area during weekdays & weekend. Last night (Sat, Oct 17th) i got few surges with 3.0x at 1AM EST which was pretty awesome.

Also, has anyone received any WARNINGS from Region of Waterloo - i have received one recently and they are requesting to discontinue this uber activity immediately unless $250 fines to max $25,000 penalty. Please advise what to do now ?

Cheers!

Last edited:

kwzombie

I got my first surge ride recently in KW and I think it cost me my perfect rating, lol, 4.94 now.

Up to you. Uber will probably pay it for you if you do get a fine. It will get riskier overall once Bill 53 passes however hopefully we will have regulation by then. Supposed to be Jan 1 for KW.

teamkart

I was driving there yesterday and I was hitting 3.0 surges constantly between midnight and 2 AM and made almost 150 in those two hours.

casanova82

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
=====================

PLANNING, DEVELOPMENT AND LEGISLATIVE SERVICES
Council and Administrative Services
150 Frederick Street, 2nd Floor
Kitchener, Ontario, N2G 4J3 Canada
519-575-4400

Letter of Warning:

On [DATE], Region of Waterloo Licensing and Enforcement Services received a complaint that a vehicle bearing Ontario License Plate [Plate Number] was providing unlicensed taxi services within the Region Municipality of Waterloo.

This Activity is in contravention of Region of Waterloo Taxi-Cab Meter By-Law 04-069 as outlines below:

5.(1) No personal shall use or attempt to use a Motor Vehicle that has a seating capacity for six (6) or less individuals, exclusive of the driver, for the conveyance of one or more individuals in exchange for a fee or other consideration that is commenced and concluded within the boundaries of the Regional Municipality of Waterloo unless the Motor Vehicle is equipped with a Taxi-cab Meter.

Person in contravention of this section may receive a provincial offence notice with a set fine of $250.oo plus applicable court costs and Victims of Crime Surcharge or be summonsed to attend court with a maximum penalty of $25,000

You are requested to discontinue this activity immediately.

Angelo Apfelbaum
Manager, Licensing and Enforcement Services
Region of Waterloo

kwzombie

Nice. I haven't done the late night bar scene. Still, will see if it stays like this after Oktoberfest is over, I suspect not.

teamkart

Did you get that letter? What are you doing about it? I thought KW was going to regulate ridesharing soon.

kwzombie

It is going to regulate, but they still have to enforce the laws on the books or at least make a token effort at doing so.

casanova82

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes i was one of those lucky 60 folks who got this letter....Until they regulate this ride sharing program - i will probably hibernate.

kwzombie

I'm just doing enough to stay active, but I intend to apply for the aux taxi license when they make it available.

teamkart

So in essence you got an empty threat since it will be regulated soon, I heard that enforcement in KW is only done subject to complaints, not by wasting police or bylaw resources.

teamkart

That probably explains why uber was trying to get out of town drivers for octoberfest, it was definitely worth the trip for me.

kwzombie

It's not an empty threat they have charged some people and probably will charge more.. True about the complaints that was the original position. Taxi driver complaints are still complaints.

kwzombie

Afaik only 5 have been charged, and as an Uber rider also, no drivers I've had have heard of this forum, so you may well be the only one on here to report. (Which is appreciated!)

I hope the Region passes the changes soon and lays out clearly (ideally with Uber's cooperation) what Uber drivers need to do to comply so we can be all legit Jan 1. Probably a pipe dream though.

ivanB

KW bylaw will be post poned for now, at least thats what paper said other day. Problem is taxi industry pays the Regional Counsillors over $600K each year to work in their favour, therefore it will be hard to legalize ride sharing here. But I wouldn't give up on it.