Jack_Jones

Anyone think there should a surge on a destination that is in the middle of no where?

its a big buzzkill driving 30+km back to a busy area from the outskirts in the city

how can we go about implementing this?

Jack_Jones

huh? theres just so much more riders in the downtown area then there is in richmond hill, markham, etc... getting far away from downtown is a killer... the rides you get there can potentially lead you even further away, and then you're driving 100km+ to get home (not gonna happen with me, ill kick the sucker out f.uck that, done it couple times already)

jfr1

Anyone think there should a surge on a destination that is in the middle of no where?

its a big buzzkill driving 30+km back to a busy area from the outskirts in the city

how can we go about implementing this?

I don't believe there is anything legally preventing you from requiring a surcharge to go to a less desirable destination.

Santa

I don't believe there is anything legally preventing you from requiring a surcharge to go to a less desirable destination.

Although it would be wise to not turn off the app during the ride for insurance purposes.
Just tell the rider that there would be an extra charge in cash of $xx, if you don't have a square reader, on top of the Uber fare, payable upfront. If they ask why, tell them you've been duped by riders before.

If they like it good, if not there would be a sucker available to do the ride.

Murf_Dawg65

not really permissible to do so- the pax would and and should report you to UBER- you can't ask for cash- its seller beware if you do ask- yes you can end up in the nether reaches- sometimes you do get calls on the way back sometimes you don't- would not risk driving without the app for cash- at least you have the UBER umbrella policy to cover you- otherwise you are on your own

jfr1

Although it would be wise to not turn off the app during the ride for insurance purposes.
Just tell the rider that there would be an extra charge in cash of $xx, if you don't have a square reader, on top of the Uber fare, payable upfront. If they ask why, tell them you've been duped by riders before.

If they like it good, if not there would be a sucker available to do the ride.

Honestly... it doesn't matter. Without turning this into an insurance debate, your insurance coverage is only as good as uber's "good will". If they find out your undermining their pricing control, they're much less likely to cover you regardless of whether the app is on or not.

not really permissible to do so- the pax would and and should report you to UBER- you can't ask for cash- its seller beware if you do ask- yes you can end up in the nether reaches- sometimes you do get calls on the way back sometimes you don't- would not risk driving without the app for cash- at least you have the UBER umbrella policy to cover you- otherwise you are on your own

Is that actually in the partner agreements anywhere? As far as I recall reading (could be wrong), its that the driver and passenger are the sole parties to the transportation contract, Uber is simply a service provider to the driver, and therefore, payment could be arranged by whatever means the parties agree upon.

Jack_Jones

this whole commercial insurance is a scam, can't believe some of you are falling for it

whats the difference between me dropping a buddy off and him paying me for gas? its the same with uber.

but thats a good idea... cash up front for some random middle of nowhere destination or no go

its nothing personal, just business :smiles:

Murf_Dawg65

again, if you start asking for cash directly most passengers will look at you askance and will likely report you. One of the key selling features is that most Pax myself included don't carry cash and want the convenience of the charge going onto the their credit card. As well with UBER you can then feel some degree of assurance that you have a record of who is taking you and/or who you are driving. If you guys want to go down the cash up front route, good luck to you both, but it seems that that won't last long and you are just trying to do an end run around the system, which defeats the purpose of why you and the pax chose uber . Unfortunately at the heart of this question, taking cash for a ride makes this an insurance debate. Whatever you think of the insurance situation, I guarantee you that if you start driving for cash, you will absolutely not be covered. if you do get into an accident while driving for UBER , you at least have a fighting chance for either the Pax or yourelf to be covered. Which should be worth it to stay within the network.
But the point of the thread is that if you end up in the suburbs you won't pick up any passengers. This simpy is not true but it really depends upon the time of day. Most times I have ended up in the burbs I have ended up getting some pings on the way back home, not 100 % of the way home but it definitely wasn't a free ride home with all dead miles.
But please go ahead and take cash if you think that is the smarter route, More pings for the rest of us and eventually less drivers in the UBER network competing for rides once you get discovered demanding cash from PAX-

With resepct to your well thought out self insurance scheme, So you get $ 40 from a PAX to go from downtown to Richmond Hill but you get into an accident on the way there, what would you do now?Are you sure the PAX is going to keep their mouth shut if they are injured? Please let us know how that works out. At least if you go within the UBER network, you've got their public assurance that you are both covered and if they deny coverage you have a network of drivers, the media, the whole political class watching. IF Uber denies coverage, it would cause such a shitstorm, it would really affect their future ability to get properly regulated and play into the taxi industry's hands- But if you take passengers for cash- you are basically on your own. So yes, I am falling for their insurance coverage,because if its truly a scam, which UBER's entire business model is dependent upon, it would cause every single PAX and driver to reconsider whether to ever use UBER again. I may be wrong, but I know for certain that driving passengers for cash is a bigger risk than relying and hoping that the SRF is actually worth something if there is an accident. Perhaps some veterans can shed some light on this.

As far as the specifics of what the agreement says, I m not going to bother and reread and quote it. Its pretty clear in any dealings with UBEr, you are advised specifically not to ask for any extra cash etc. That is not part of the UBER business model, so I'm pretty sure its implied if it isn't specifically prohibited. But you guys might be smarter than I and please go ahead and charge cash up front, see how many PAX really like it, because you're basically now following the taxi model-

If UBER isn't providing you with sufficient income, you can always stop driving if you find it isn't worth your while. Or go drive a taxi and maybe start cleaning your taxi, and accepting credit cards from you PAX without reservation.

Myxx

"If UBER isn't providing you with sufficient income, you can always stop driving if you find it isn't worth your while. Or go drive a taxi and maybe start cleaning your taxi, and accepting credit cards from you PAX without reservation.:

Well said..

Jack_Jones

"If UBER isn't providing you with sufficient income, you can always stop driving if you find it isn't worth your while. Or go drive a taxi and maybe start cleaning your taxi, and accepting credit cards from you PAX without reservation.:

Well said..

im just gonna stop driving to remote locations... ive had some "professionalism" reports for refusing a destination, or starting and cancelling a trip, but its all good, im here to make $$$ not a charity

if they ban me, no worries, ill go to lyft

uber needs to realize itll make everyones experience better if us drivers can see a destination beforehand

uber is all about the rider, and could care less about the driver, but that aint happening here, i dont give 2 shits about uber myself, im just here for the $$

Murf_Dawg65

Lyft isn't an option in Canada at this point. Apparently there is Instaryde, but the jury is out on them. Some appear to be promoting them on this site, but its clear as to whether they are legitimate or not.

biozon

jfr1

again, if you start asking for cash directly most passengers will look at you askance and will likely report you. One of the key selling features is that most Pax myself included don't carry cash and want the convenience of the charge going onto the their credit card. As well with UBER you can then feel some degree of assurance that you have a record of who is taking you and/or who you are driving. If you guys want to go down the cash up front route, good luck to you both, but it seems that that won't last long and you are just trying to do an end run around the system, which defeats the purpose of why you and the pax chose uber . Unfortunately at the heart of this question, taking cash for a ride makes this an insurance debate. Whatever you think of the insurance situation, I guarantee you that if you start driving for cash, you will absolutely not be covered. if you do get into an accident while driving for UBER , you at least have a fighting chance for either the Pax or yourelf to be covered. Which should be worth it to stay within the network.
But the point of the thread is that if you end up in the suburbs you won't pick up any passengers. This simpy is not true but it really depends upon the time of day. Most times I have ended up in the burbs I have ended up getting some pings on the way back home, not 100 % of the way home but it definitely wasn't a free ride home with all dead miles.
But please go ahead and take cash if you think that is the smarter route, More pings for the rest of us and eventually less drivers in the UBER network competing for rides once you get discovered demanding cash from PAX-

With resepct to your well thought out self insurance scheme, So you get $ 40 from a PAX to go from downtown to Richmond Hill but you get into an accident on the way there, what would you do now?Are you sure the PAX is going to keep their mouth shut if they are injured? Please let us know how that works out. At least if you go within the UBER network, you've got their public assurance that you are both covered and if they deny coverage you have a network of drivers, the media, the whole political class watching. IF Uber denies coverage, it would cause such a shitstorm, it would really affect their future ability to get properly regulated and play into the taxi industry's hands- But if you take passengers for cash- you are basically on your own. So yes, I am falling for their insurance coverage,because if its truly a scam, which UBER's entire business model is dependent upon, it would cause every single PAX and driver to reconsider whether to ever use UBER again. I may be wrong, but I know for certain that driving passengers for cash is a bigger risk than relying and hoping that the SRF is actually worth something if there is an accident. Perhaps some veterans can shed some light on this.

As far as the specifics of what the agreement says, I m not going to bother and reread and quote it. Its pretty clear in any dealings with UBEr, you are advised specifically not to ask for any extra cash etc. That is not part of the UBER business model, so I'm pretty sure its implied if it isn't specifically prohibited. But you guys might be smarter than I and please go ahead and charge cash up front, see how many PAX really like it, because you're basically now following the taxi model-

If UBER isn't providing you with sufficient income, you can always stop driving if you find it isn't worth your while. Or go drive a taxi and maybe start cleaning your taxi, and accepting credit cards from you PAX without reservation.

Here's my question... can Uber (legally) deactivate you for demanding cash "surges"?

jfr1

this whole commercial insurance is a scam, can't believe some of you are falling for it

whats the difference between me dropping a buddy off and him paying me for gas? its the same with uber.

but thats a good idea... cash up front for some random middle of nowhere destination or no go

its nothing personal, just business :smiles:

Yeah, no, it's really not. Your insurance company has been very explicit in that they will not cover this type of behaviour under your agreement with them. If you don't like it, you can negotiate a commercial policy or work with Aviva.

Murf_Dawg65

My guess is that if UBER customers complain about you asking for cash up front then UBER will ask you to stop and if you continue to get reports/complaints of asking for cash, you will get denied access to the platform. I'm pretty sure UBER can do whatever they want- I'm assuming you would get low rating and major complaints if you demand cash up front and start behaving exactly like the taxi drivers that the UBER Pax are trying to avoid.

jfr1

My guess is that if UBER customers complain about you asking for cash up front then UBER will ask you to stop and if you continue to get reports/complaints of asking for cash, you will get denied access to the platform. I'm pretty sure UBER can do whatever they want- I'm assuming you would get low rating and major complaints if you demand cash up front and start behaving exactly like the taxi drivers that the UBER Pax are trying to avoid.

Yeah, that's a reasonable guess as to waht they'd do.

My question is more around the specifics. Is that behavior prohibited anywhere in their partner agreement?

They cannot necessarily do "whatever they want" -- they're bound by contracts just like any other entity.

Jack_Jones

Yeah, no, it's really not. Your insurance company has been very explicit in that they will not cover this type of behaviour under your agreement with them. If you don't like it, you can negotiate a commercial policy or work with Aviva.

or i can stick with the insurance i have and not worry about anything?

whats the difference in me driving a buddy and him paying me for gas and driving a pax? please. if you wanna ay more for insurance go for it by all means, im not lol

some people are soooo dumb lmao

jfr1

or i can stick with the insurance i have and not worry about anything?

whats the difference in me driving a buddy and him paying me for gas and driving a pax? please. if you wanna ay more for insurance go for it by all means, im not lol

some people are soooo dumb lmao

The difference is, that if that if your vehicle is operated with the purpose of generating revenue, your insurance company has a very easy way to deny basically any claim, as they explicitly prohibit that in your contract with them.

Basically... drive your buddy to the airport because you want to drive him, or it's on your way, and he happens to pitch for gas = fine. It's an ordinary part of driving. Start picking up passengers who you've never met before, going to destinations of their chosing, that's a different level of risk that your insurance company has not signed up for.

jfr1

Just as law enforcement are unable to prove in our courts beyond any doubt that Mr. UberX was in fact operating as an Uber driver as charged, insurance companies would be required to prove beyond ..... that an insured was in fact operating as an Uber driver when he was involved in an accident. Small claims court using a paralegal would be a slam dunk for any insured motorist being denied a claim on the basis of "suspected Uber driver". Drive on ladies and gentleman!

Not really.

All they need is a shred of evidence to make your life miserable.

Jack_Jones

im done arguing the insurance scam...

if you guys wanna ante up and pay more for insurance (which is overpriced to begin with), go for it, im not stopping you lol. its your money, not mine

can we go back on topic about surging on random middle of nowhere trips? i think this would improve rider satisfaction, as there is less chance of being denied a trip/less calling and asking for destination, etc... and us drivers would be happier too!