Surge of bad pax lately?

BornToBeGuilty

Had there been a surge of bad pax or have I just been unlucky? I've had quite a few people I've had to 1 star recently which is not normal in my market.

The most recent one was a guy who ordered an uber at 4a.m. I figured airport run! I get to the location and it's an empty lot between 2 houses. Great! I am picking up a hobo? Lol so I figure they messed up and I text the pax asking for the address. I Get 3 responses "Here", "I don't know", "I thought did this". At which point I say great a drunk the worst kind of drunk a 4am drunk -_- so I tell him I am at the pickup location he placed with my hazards on. Responds with he is in front of a white truck and doesn't see me. Then he asks if he is getting charged for this.... I kindly inform him that if I can't find him he will get charged the cancel fee and it's hard to find him when neither of us has an idea of where he is at. After that I get a street name. Great look it up it's a few blocks down. Sure why not start heading over there. Find the pax and he and his wife gets in and of course the friend walks over and tells me to make sure they get home safe. To which I responded well that's why you called the uber right? Don't worry they'll get there safe. At this point the paxhole decides to ask me "Hey am I going to get charged for your mistake?"..... "Are you serious?"... "yeah I mean you went to the wrong address."... "I have the right to refuse any trip and I am not taking this one please get out." wife asks if he messed up and I tell her yes he put in the wrong address and then blamed me for it as I show her the phone. She complies and gets out. Tells him to get out and then he is complaining blah blah blah..... Cancel fee applied! Freaking annoying. I feel bad for the next driver that got them. The closest one after me was a 15+ min drive just to get to them and probably got down rated.

Ezridax

Had there been a surge of bad pax or have I just been unlucky? I've had quite a few people I've had to 1 star recently which is not normal in my market.

The most recent one was a guy who ordered an uber at 4a.m. I figured airport run! I get to the location and it's an empty lot between 2 houses. Great! I am picking up a hobo? Lol so I figure they messed up and I text the pax asking for the address. I Get 3 responses "Here", "I don't know", "I thought did this". At which point I say great a drunk the worst kind of drunk a 4am drunk -_- so I tell him I am at the pickup location he placed with my hazards on. Responds with he is in front of a white truck and doesn't see me. Then he asks if he is getting charged for this.... I kindly inform him that if I can't find him he will get charged the cancel fee and it's hard to find him when neither of us has an idea of where he is at. After that I get a street name. Great look it up it's a few blocks down. Sure why not start heading over there. Find the pax and he and his wife gets in and of course the friend walks over and tells me to make sure they get home safe. To which I responded well that's why you called the uber right? Don't worry they'll get there safe. At this point the paxhole decides to ask me "Hey am I going to get charged for your mistake?"..... "Are you serious?"... "yeah I mean you went to the wrong address."... "I have the right to refuse any trip and I am not taking this one please get out." wife asks if he messed up and I tell her yes he put in the wrong address and then blamed me for it as I show her the phone. She complies and gets out. Tells him to get out and then he is complaining blah blah blah..... Cancel fee applied! Freaking annoying. I feel bad for the next driver that got them. The closest one after me was a 15+ min drive just to get to them and probably got down rated.
Why did you even drive to him? He set the wrong location, from there it was only gonna go downhill. Wait the 5 min and get your cancel fee.

BornToBeGuilty

Why did you even drive to him? He set the wrong location, from there it was only gonna go downhill. Wait the 5 min and get your cancel fee.

Eh had been a good night was feeling nice and I figured it was a new person or it could have just as easily been an older person. 4am in my market is usually people heading to the airport.

I can't speak for other markets but here it normally doesn't go downhill. Could be that we don't have a big city mentality here so everyone tends to be nicer. It is incredible to see at the amount of people that say just cancel over every small thing that happens prior to the issue.

I don't see putting the wrong address by a few streets down as a huge issue. I do see an issue with people making a driver wait a long time without communicating. Having no concern for a drivers property. Giving driver any kind of attitude. All things that should be addressed and cancelled. Just my 2 cents though as everyone's market and situation is different.

Dropking

OMG. At 4am you have got to call the passenger just to say hello. Explain you are a few minutes away, ask them sheepishly if they don't mind waiting all those few minutes as an awesome customer service gesture, innocently ask where they are going, and then make your decision. Just hearing a stinkin' drunk person on the line is enough to cancel for your own safety. Learning that they are going to the airport is a positive sign. There is a lot of in between like "sorry to trouble you, I'm not drunk but I'm going to the train station five minutes away so thanks for driving 15 minutes to pick me up." Normally you convince your pax to cancel these rides or you cancel them yourself.

UberXterra

Don't waste your time with these morons if there not where they are soppose to be and it's 4 am and you call and the idiot is drunk cancel and go to the next one

Monkchoi

Personally, if it's a sub 3 mile drive to pick up a passenger, I'd cancel in a heartbeat for no show after 5 minutes. I also cancel trips (after 5 minutes),at Walmart, colleges/university and busy nightlife areas. I also refrain from making contact when I arrive. If you request a ride, you should be there at the pickup spot and know when your driver arrive. I'm just tired of babysitting people who don't know what vehicle is picking them up, where I'm at, and have I arrived. Is it fair to say that almost all of us are on the phone constantly? My pet peeve is the pax that's talking/playing with his phone when I'm next to him. If your time is more than my time waiting on you to get in, sayonara!

Monkchoi

Last night, I received a request to pick up riders drunk friend home. Typical short ride with over bearing questions about why I like America and why I'm here. More than likely, she's trying to bate me into a political debate. I work for both private and public sector and drive for Uber, I keep it professional and not get into any conversation involving politics, religion, race, sex, etc. She broke out the phone and tried to record the conversation. I'm guessing she's doing a school project and chose to do it after she downs a few.

The ride ended and this *unt wouldn't leave. Her male friend was embarrassed and tried to tell her to get the *uck out. Meanwhile, I had requests coming in. I rated the ride 3 stars but felt bad because it was not the riders fault but her drunk friend.

Based on your wording it didn't seem that bad.

If someone made a mistake, you let them know they input the wrong address before hand and once you arrive

So they clearly understand its there fault, I don't think you made it clear so they thought it was you. next time just state the address you put was incorrect it wasn't your mistake and just go on with your day, didn't even have to kick them out

seems like you got petty over a little error, you know what kind of people are out after 1 a.m (college kids,drunks and drug dealers)

so don't drive late if you expect perfection

BornToBeGuilty

Based on your wording it didn't seem that bad.

If someone made a mistake, you let them know they input the wrong address before hand and once you arrive

So they clearly understand its there fault, I don't think you made it clear so they thought it was you. next time just state the address you put was incorrect it wasn't your mistake and just go on with your day, didn't even have to kick them out

seems like you got petty over a little error, you know what kind of people are out after 1 a.m (college kids,drunks and drug dealers)

so don't drive late if you expect perfection

I believe it was you that made a thread about how broken the uber system was. When a person goes into your car and immediately accuses you of making the mistake you can tell it will end badly. I have no doubt in my mind that this person would have filed a fake claim to get a free trip out of it.

I never said I had an issue picking up drunks. I pick them up all the time they are my bread and butter. In my market bars close down at 2am. From 1-2:30am we got 90% happy drunks. 2:30-3:30 80% tired drunks. At 4am we got people taking trips to the airport to catch their 5am flights and then there is the 5% drunks. The people still drinking by this point usually have some kind of life issue and are drinking to forget. The thing is you don't expect the 5% you expect the airport rides which are $10-$15 trips plus a $5 tip usually.

You say I got petty, but I do not feel I did. At no point was I unprofessional towards them. I could have easily stayed at the wrong pickup location and cancelled after the 5 minutes were up. I attempted to locate them and I was able to after a street name was provided. I was not required to do that, but I do for most of my riders because I know there is a margin of error and we as humans make mistakes. I never tell them they are dumb or get mad at them for putting the wrong location. They are usually apologetic and I tell them that it's ok and not to feel bad about it as it happens often.

You can tell 30 seconds into the trip how it's going to end up. There is no reason to put yourself into an unfavorable situation.

Anyways the original question was asking if there had been a surge lately of "bad pax". It is possible we got Houston people in my market and would explain the expectations of these pax coming from a city where everything might be fast paced. Different mentalities from big cities to slower paced ones.

I believe it was you that made a thread about how broken the uber system was. When a person goes into your car and immediately accuses you of making the mistake you can tell it will end badly. I have no doubt in my mind that this person would have filed a fake claim to get a free trip out of it.

I never said I had an issue picking up drunks. I pick them up all the time they are my bread and butter. In my market bars close down at 2am. From 1-2:30am we got 90% happy drunks. 2:30-3:30 80% tired drunks. At 4am we got people taking trips to the airport to catch their 5am flights and then there is the 5% drunks. The people still drinking by this point usually have some kind of life issue and are drinking to forget. The thing is you don't expect the 5% you expect the airport rides which are $10-$15 trips plus a $5 tip usually.

You say I got petty, but I do not feel I did. At no point was I unprofessional towards them. I could have easily stayed at the wrong pickup location and cancelled after the 5 minutes were up. I attempted to locate them and I was able to after a street name was provided. I was not required to do that, but I do for most of my riders because I know there is a margin of error and we as humans make mistakes. I never tell them they are dumb or get mad at them for putting the wrong location. They are usually apologetic and I tell them that it's ok and not to feel bad about it as it happens often.

You can tell 30 seconds into the trip how it's going to end up. There is no reason to put yourself into an unfavorable situation.

Anyways the original question was asking if there had been a surge lately of "bad pax". It is possible we got Houston people in my market and would explain the expectations of these pax coming from a city where everything might be fast paced. Different mentalities from big cities to slower paced ones.

If I misjudged I apologize, just most drivers seem like petty @@@@@@@@ and some are really cool

SurgeWarrior

NEVER contact them..after 5 minutes, cancel no show then beat feet out of the area..then review the trip to see where they were headed to check if its worth picking up them up when they ping again in a few minutes!

Monkchoi

NEVER contact them..after 5 minutes, cancel no show then beat feet out of the area..then review the trip to see where they were headed to check if its worth picking up them up when they ping again in a few minutes!
Is it wise to pick up the person you've just canceled on and they're short $5? Risking a 1 star just to spite.

SurgeWarrior

Is it wise to pick up the person you've just canceled on and they're short $5? Risking a 1 star just to spite.
If its a good trip that you are going back for..i always make up a story that I will send Uber a note to credit them the 5.00 cancel fee..but of course I dont!

Robert finnly

Tons but i let them bully me. Im a pax dream a easy punching bag and they just do what they want and i go along for the ride smh