Surge issues

john1975

Last night after 1am the entire downtown area was surging. I picked up a pax on State St. at 1.9 surge and got a 2nd pool request on Hanover St. with no surge. I don't understand how this is possible.

I also had another situation this am where the Brighton area was surging. I was on Market St. where the surge was close to 2 and had a request a couple of streets away and I assumed there was a surge. After I completed the ride I noticed there was no surge. Again this does not seem right.

I know there can be delays between the red zones and when a pax books trip, but these 2 situations did not make sense to me. Anyone else have similar issues or any thoughts on what might be happening.

Jay gummy

Yes Uber is cheating us by not paying us the surge when riders with the pool pass request a ride in a surge area. I am not sure it's legal. As we are usually stuck in traffic during those high surge times. I was in a 2.8 times surge area this week but kept getting pool request with no surge

uberlyfer

Yes Uber is cheating us by not paying us the surge when riders with the pool pass request a ride in a surge area. I am not sure it's legal. As we are usually stuck in traffic during those high surge times. I was in a 2.8 times surge area this week but kept getting pool request with no surge
Is the official rule that pool doesn't surge, or does it just appear that uber is doing that without making it clear to drivers? Either way, if they're charging regular rates for pool during surge times, you have to wonder how many riders have already figured this out and are just requesting pool rides anytime there's a surge. Imagine some crazy concert at 5x surge, you better believe people are going to be requesting pool if they can avoid surge automatically.

UberGuyMike

I was actually in a few very similar situations this week during the morning rush hour. One was on Thursday, in South Boston. Whole map was red, and the trip I got was a no surge pool trip. I cancelled it, and the next ping, received seconds later, was a 2.2x surged X trip. It happened again yesterday, and I'm going to cancel every time it does.

I'd say do the same if you're in the middle of a trip during a busy time, can't see the map and you get a no surged trip. Just cancel it, and another will show up likely.

WBdriving

I dropped a pax off in town and I sat there in town for 20 minutes while I was the only uber vehicle in town I watched the surge go from 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 up to 2.5 and then back to no surge and not one ping. Two days later I again dropped a pax off in town right in the middle of a 3.5 surge and for fifteen minutes and no ping while still being the only vehicle in town. I think they just do it for to line their own pockets and not because there is a demand.

Brian G.

I don't chase surge unless it's a few min drive from me and see what happends. I just settle for the short runs mostly.

UberGuyMike

Pax will wait out the surge so you might not get a ping. I don't chase surge either except when I'm nearby.
But in the pool scenario that John presented, riders with the pass pay the penny regardless of the surge. Hopefully, their behavior wouldn't be impacted by a surge. You're right though, it is a gamble to cancel on a secured ping.