Surge is an illusion

Sitting at my house with a light rain. Socal that equates to a blizzard. Check the uber app and there is a $13 cloud over my house. Grab a few towels and start the app. 5 minutes go by and no pings. Next ride promising $3.25. What about the $13?? Get in car and drive away from house one mile and get a ping now guaranteeing me a $3.75 bonus. Whoopty do. Pull up to pin in the alley of an apartment complex on a pretty busy street. Try to call rider, phone not working. Send a text to inform them im in alley as per the pin and ask if they want different. No response. 3 minutes go by. Try calling. Nada. 5 mins mark em no show. Collect $4 no bonus. Idling further down the alley, still promised my additional $3.75. Surprised it didn’t just clear from the cancel. $13 surge zone completely gone. Decide not worth it. Back home. 4 miles, $4.

Why don’t I get the surge if I go back online? Wasn't I there when you needed me Uber? Usually the zone is 5-10 mins and if I drive towards it...poof its gone. This time it was on my couch. Still bogus. $13... $3.75. Nothing.

Sitting at my house with a light rain. Socal that equates to a blizzard. Check the uber app and there is a $13 cloud over my house. Grab a few towels and start the app. 5 minutes go by and no pings. Next ride promising $3.25. What about the $13?? Get in car and drive away from house one mile and get a ping now guaranteeing me a $3.75 bonus. Whoopty do. Pull up to pin in the alley of an apartment complex on a pretty busy street. Try to call rider, phone not working. Send a text to inform them im in alley as per the pin and ask if they want different. No response. 3 minutes go by. Try calling. Nada. 5 mins mark em no show. Collect $4 no bonus. Idling further down the alley, still promised my additional $3.75. Surprised it didn’t just clear from the cancel. $13 surge zone completely gone. Decide not worth it. Back home. 4 miles, $4.

Why don’t I get the surge if I go back online? Wasn't I there when you needed me Uber? Usually the zone is 5-10 mins and if I drive towards it...poof its gone. This time it was on my couch. Still bogus. $13... $3.75. Nothing.
We refer to the Uber computer program as Hitman.
whether diversion or fake troop movements, Hitman wins and we’re dead

Youburr

Surges last until enough drivers start driving towards it. I only catch surges by hopping on and off the freeway.

BuberDriver

if you were in the middle of a $13 surge it would show up at the bottom of your screen once you're online. the fact that you tell us it said $3.75 means you were too late turning on the app to get the $13...once you get the "sticky" $13 it will stay with you as long as you're online until you accept the next ride. even if you accept and cancel like you did the $13 would still be there towards the next ride

JaxUberLyft

I've noticed that surge clouds sometimes don't update. Sometimes they grow mottled, pale and blurry, and then they die.

Reactions: EM1

tohunt4me

Attachments

Dekero

Surge doesnt auto update fast enough on map... If surge hunting... Restart app every 2-3 mins tops!! That way it shows accurate info... Have this problem downtown all the time... I've learned to constantly update when im holding out for a high value.. otherwise I miss it..

Wild Bill Yahoo

How about this sucker? It's a literal illusion. Uber's infamous "ghost surge." I wonder if I'll get paid in ectoplasm?

View attachment 392357
This screenshot just shows that the demand is higher than normal. That's what the arrows indicate. There is no actual surge anywhere on your map. Uber is using the higher demand indicators to attract additional drivers to avoid surge. This is becoming more common in Phoenix.

Legalizeit0

How about this sucker? It's a literal illusion. Uber's infamous "ghost surge." I wonder if I'll get paid in ectoplasm?

View attachment 392357
That looks exactly like what Lyft is doing in my area. They light up an area that’s busy, but put no money in it. Lyft is still charging customers extra, but not paying drivers anything. There are no personal power zones, no bonuses, nothing with Lyft. It’s just the basic rate with no chance to earn anything extra, ever.

Boca Ratman

When the surge dies out, the cloud stays. It's a graphics glitch, (or manipulative tool)
If you close out the app to and reopen it, the cloud will be gone. It's been like this since sticky surge became a thing.