SURGE - how does it work?

Revird Rebu

Im just starting as an Uber X driver. Could someone explain exactly how you obtain high surge rides. I have my settings set at 2.0 and have yet to be informed when this surge rating is reached to get these fares...
Sorry if im missing the obvious but i guess there is no such thing as a stupid question

LevelX

Welcome.... Look at the partner app, you'll see pretty colours that show you the surge areas and you have to be in these basically to get a surge job. The darker the 'red' the better. You can zoom in to see the surge rate.

Basically surge only happens during morning peak and afternoon peak + weekends etc. That said, it can happen any time and any where.

Its when demand is greater than supply, and Uber uses it to move cars around. So don't really chase the surge long distance, unless its like 2-3 mins drive away from you. As it comes and goes so fast......

Here is what you're looking for.

Screenshot_20160623-184008.png

Revird Rebu

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks very much most helpful...when you say only accept if less than 2-3 mins away how do you know how far away the pickup is? I thought this only told you once you accept the ride?
Apologise if im missing something here...thanks very much for your time and input ..much appreciated

LevelX

when you say only accept if less than 2-3 mins away how do you know how far away the pickup is?
Not quite what I said. I said don't chase surge. ie drive 5-15 mins to an area that is surging from an area that isn't surging as most likely by the time you get there, it will be gone. BUT if you're only a few mins away, then try and see if you get a ping.

As for pickup times, once you start driving you'll see the pickup ETA is on the ping screen. Here is a example from the long ping thread

Jwoodsa

Not quite what I said. I said don't chase surge. ie drive 5-15 mins to an area that is surging from an area that isn't surging as most likely by the time you get there, it will be gone. BUT if you're only a few mins away, then try and see if you get a ping.

As for pickup times, once you start driving you'll see the pickup ETA is on the ping screen. Here is a example from the long ping thread

Wow 4.01 that pax must get lots of drivers coming from 14+min away to just go to the station or has a habit of raiting low lol

Grand

Im just starting as an Uber X driver.
Hi Revird Rebu
Welcome to the UP forum.:smiles:
New to Uber?
New to this forum?

You will find plenty of information, views and answers to most questions both within this city forum or located in other forums.

Firstly, you may benefit by reviewing the Melbourne Uber link below. It is the main resource for drivers and will answer many of your initial and operational questions. Suggest saving this link as a favourite for ongoing reference purposes.
http://melbourne.ubermovement.com/

Also consider attending the Uber presentations more than once as you will pickup things you missed previously, like your initial questions.

Things to consider from day one :
1. Registering an ABN and cover GST.
GST is payable on the first $ you earn and calculated on the total fare, not the amount paid to the driver. ATO can see your bank statements. See ATO and Uber links below.
https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST...rough-ride-sourcing-and-your-tax-obligations/
https://newsroom.uber.com/australia/gst/

2. Maintain a logbook - klms travelled.
https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Inc...Calculating-your-deduction/Keeping-a-logbook/

3. Car insurance that specifically covers ride-sharing in your State. Members here have mentioned Allianz and RACV.

4. Maintain a record of all income and expenses.

5. Consider getting tax accountant advice.

The above will help you determine your profitability.

The link below provides information on
Basic Driver Pros and Cons
A basic earnings calculator
https://uberpeople.net/categories/resources.23/

The link below covers national issues including ATO obligations, seat belt requirements, carrying children, alcohol in your car as well as new features including UberEats, Driver Destinations, UberAssist etc.
https://uberpeople.net/forums/Australia/

Last edited:

Tom2828

14 minutes long ping ??? It's average for morning pings before the surge start...

Where are all the 22 minutes pings ?

Last edited:

sporadic

The new dynamic surge pricing is ridiculous. Don't bother about it. If you're lucky, you're lucky. You might see yourself to be in a 1.3x zone. Let's say a pax pings you 5 min away and as you're driving towards pax, pax cancels. Pax repings and it's suddenly 1.7x. That can happen.

Or you could ignore a ping at 1.2x and it comes back to you at 2x, especially if you're the only driver in the area.

Or you can be sitting comfortably in a 3x zone and get pinged by a low rated non-surge pax 20 min away because no one else wants to pick up that non-surge guy.

Playing the surge game is like a game of dice rolling nowadays.

joffie

My advise is to accept all jobs to earn more.

lots of times you will take a non surge job and drop them into a surge area.

Tom2828

My advise is to accept all jobs to earn more.

lots of times you will take a non surge job and drop them into a surge area.
It's true for Friday & Saturday night only.
Morning never, you suddenly will pick up non surge towards the airport at 7:20 and will loose 1.5 hours for 30$

Bob28

Not sure how Uber algorithm works Surge time but i think Uber is manipulating drivers and pax
How many times surge will go 2 and red sea around u and u get non surge pings or no pings at all
Also @@@@en pax are getting so nasty accepted job at 1.5 only 3 min away pax cancel the job when was almost halfway
Than i got ping from same pick up address ping with no surge i got angry and ignored the ping then went offline didnt want the pax in my car

LevelX

I'm with you Bob.... Haven't had it happen, but if a pax ever booked a surge job, then canceled on me and rebooked non surge. I won't be picking them up at all for that type of crap.

Bob28

Yep Uber is spoiling pax u book job u can cancel in half of ETA not longer than 2 min for long pings pick ups
Also when driver arrives pax gets notification u are arrived - after 60 seconds fare starts automatically
If pax no show after 5 min automatically app to cancel fare and charge cancellation fee
Also base rate is way to low
Should be at least $4 this fee is to cover u exp for u dead km between jobs

joffie

This was in the suburbs so maybe 5 min away.

It has happened before.. I have had an idiot request and cancel, request and cancel and do it 3 times before I sent a message saying "DO YOU WANT UBER OR NOT'.. I then cancelled. This was when I first started driving last year.

LevelX

Also when driver arrives pax gets notification u are arrived - after 60 seconds fare starts automatically
If pax no show after 5 min automatically app to cancel fare and charge cancellation fee
Also base rate is way to low
Should be at least $4 this fee is to cover u exp for u dead km between jobs
What are you on about Bob? None of that happens......