Surge hole sucks you in like a black hole...

Gigaddict

Sucked in from Grosvenor by a mouth-watering $13 surge at Friendship Hieghts this morning. Brazed a grinding traffic to have a taste. Arrived to a zero surge!! Be careful of "surgeholes"

Another Uber Driver

Sucked in from Grosvenor by a mouth-watering $13 surge at Friendship Hieghts this morning. Brazed a grinding traffic to have a taste. Arrived to a zero surge!! Be careful of "surgeholes"
There was this one time, back in the days of the multiplier, that I was on Wisconsin Avenue at P Street. I noticed a 1,6 surge in Glover Park. Right, decline all non surge pings and head for Glover Park. When I got to Wisconsin at W Street, the surge had faded back to Wesley Heights, and reduced to 1,5. When I got to the Colonnade Apartments (2801 New Mexico), it had faded to South Spring Valley and was at 1,3. I realised that I was I was being played and moved no further North or West. If finally offered me something halfway to the Palisades at 1,2, which I took as it was less than five minutes from me.

That was both the first and last time that I actively chased a surge. There were subsequent occasions where I was heading that way, anyhow, arrived at the surge zone and actually got a surged ping. It did not happen often, but it has happened. That does not qualify as chasing, as I was headed that way, anyhow and did not receive any pings until I arrived in or at the edge of the surge zone.

Gigaddict

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How many times do we have to say never chase the surge
It's a call you have to make. I used to do it to some success, until the Uber algorithm figured it out and send unwitting drivers on a wild goose chase. That's my way of gathering data on the mischievous Uber algorithm...with data comes wisdom!!!

Chapindc

It's a call you have to make. I used to do it to some success, until the Uber algorithm figured it out and send unwitting drivers on a wild goose chase. That's my way of gathering data on the mischievous Uber algorithm...with data comes wisdom!!!
lol

Gigaddict

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There was this one time, back in the days of the multiplier, that I was on Wisconsin Avenue at P Street. I noticed a 1,6 surge in Glover Park. Right, decline all non surge pings and head for Glover Park. When I got to Wisconsin at W Street, the surge had faded back to Wesley Heights, and reduced to 1,5. When I got to the Colonnade Apartments (2801 New Mexico), it had faded to South Spring Valley and was at 1,3. I realised that I was I was being played and moved no further North or West. If finally offered me something halfway to the Palisades at 1,2, which I took as it was less than five minutes from me.

That was both the first and last time that I actively chased a surge. There were subsequent occasions where I was heading that way, anyhow, arrived at the surge zone and actually got a surged ping. It did not happen often, but it has happened. That does not qualify as chasing, as I was headed that way, anyhow and did not receive any pings until I arrived in or at the edge of the surge zone.
Now, surges last for few minutes, the rest is to suck you in...

Uberest

It’s actually humorous to drive towards the surge and see it get smaller and smaller.

unless there is a “real” demand in which case the whole map is red. Happens occasionally.

UberEunuch

How about...the next time you se surge...you turn the app off and head there..once there you turn it on? You and 2 hundred other drivers..with app on.. heading there will make that surge go away...