Surge hide and seek

soulwarrior

So this morning, right now at 5:29, as I am offline and surge lights up I go online and surge disappears. This has been happening for 15 minutes now.

soulwarrior

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not just the surge I am in disappears but all surging on the whole map disappears. When I stay online to see if it will pick it up anyways it doesn't. I have let 4 requests go through now. I think a time out is coming......

jaywaynedubya

I love how when it surges during incentive period like on a friday/sat @ 2am and you try to zoom into the app map, it zooms you out automatically and that black box appears saying "2.0x boost fares".

LGBNEWBIEDRIVER

I am also having the same problem with regards to being "surge teased". Also what I am discovering that I can be right in the middle of an area and the surge can be so red that it nearly melts my iphone and still nothing. Do know what the heck but its annoying.

Huberis

So this morning, right now at 5:29, as I am offline and surge lights up I go online and surge disappears. This has been happening for 15 minutes now.
In Uber's mind, the surge is a trigger to get you drivers on and then offline, that is how the system works. As the number of drivers being jerked around increases, it stands to reason actual surges are going to be more volatile, shorter lived. It would require luck and persistence to actually get a surge ride. The surge is about manipulation. Pax are watching the surge on the same screen, you're in California, if they see surges go away - poof! In a snap of a finger, how could they not learn to wait out a surge when they see one?

That system has been broken since day one. It was always going to take you to where you are now. Even Uber knows it is a failure only they have a different set of concerns as to why they deem it a failure.

What you observe seems reasonable. The problem is, what you observe is more a symptom of a greate number of problems and concerns. Try not to get too hung up on what you are observing. Think about your relationship, your contract with Uber which lets them jerk you around so easily as a driver.

Shaitan1

Are you sure it isn't still surging? Sometimes when you manipulate the driver app it stops showing surge, but it is still there. You just can't see it.

When that happens to me I normally have to reset my phone to see surge again.

Tedgey

In Uber's mind, the surge is a trigger to get you drivers on and then offline, that is how the system works. As the number of drivers being jerked around increases, it stands to reason actual surges are going to be more volatile, shorter lived. It would require luck and persistence to actually get a surge ride. The surge is about manipulation. Pax are watching the surge on the same screen, you're in California, if they see surges go away - poof! In a snap of a finger, how could they not learn to wait out a surge when they see one?

That system has been broken since day one. It was always going to take you to where you are now. Even Uber knows it is a failure only they have a different set of concerns as to why they deem it a failure.

What you observe seems reasonable. The problem is, what you observe is more a symptom of a greate number of problems and concerns. Try not to get too hung up on what you are observing. Think about your relationship, your contract with Uber which lets them jerk you around so easily as a driver.
This is a theory I subscribe to, sort of. Figure it this way. 4:30AM surge map lights up. Demand is greater than supply, right? What demand? You might be the only driver available. Well if demand is so great, indeed if the current demand was greater than ZERO then you should have gotten pinged.

Instead of demand is greater than supply they should say projected demand is greater than supply. In the morning they seem to start projecting demand a little earlier than it does. I'm guessing to get people out of bed and on the road

FUberX

Are you sure it isn't still surging? Sometimes when you manipulate the driver app it stops showing surge, but it is still there. You just can't see it.

When that happens to me I normally have to reset my phone to see surge again.
Even better sometimes a pax is still ordering the surge ride, after the surge has disappeared on the pax app....

Adieu

This is a theory I subscribe to, sort of. Figure it this way. 4:30AM surge map lights up. Demand is greater than supply, right? What demand? You might be the only driver available. Well if demand is so great, indeed if the current demand was greater than ZERO then you should have gotten pinged.

Instead of demand is greater than supply they should say projected demand is greater than supply. In the morning they seem to start projecting demand a little earlier than it does. I'm guessing to get people out of bed and on the road
I *know* some select surges are due to open pax apps... And demand don't really exist

In low density areas maybe same nonsense with X