1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Surge goes from 7× to gone instantly

Discussion in 'Surge' started by Indy Driver, Dec 18, 2016.

1. renbutler

renbutler Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    The ping came in because the surge dropped. It just takes a minute or so to fully reflect on everybody's driver map.

It's not dishonesty -- it's a lagging driver app. It would be dishonesty if the PING showed one surge value, but the pay showed another.

Just think of it this way: The map is a guide, but the ping is gospel.

It's that simple.

EDIT: Oh, and here's another thing to help you keep your sanity: DON'T CHASE SURGES!

Shangsta and Ultimate Warrior like this.
  2. Ultimate Warrior

Ultimate Warrior Active Member

Yeah but funny thing is there's no lag or error in the app when they deduct uber fees!

3. renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    That's a weird reply.

If you are so concerned about a short lag, just use the rider app to know what the true surge is at a given moment.

4. Ultimate Warrior

Yes thanks for that tip about using the rider app. I have been using it to park myself away from concentrated bunches of drivers. Looks like there's another layer of use for that ride app which I didn't think about.

Incidentally, why do you say my reply was weird? Don't you feel that uber favors the rider and gives drivers a tough time?

5. renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    Aside from their sh!tty customer support, they've never given me any serious problems as a driver.

The things most people complain about are actually just basic economics. I don't care for the low base rates (I drive only surges and XL on weekends as a result), but I really don't blame Uber for it. If enough people agree to drive at low rates, they would be stupid to pay any more than that. They also seem to make mistakes in some people's pay, but it seems like a lot of them eventually get resolved, and we usually get to hear only one side of each story anyway.

6. Ultimate Warrior

Most wise words sir! I also pity uber support. They must have a ****ty job always hearing our complaints.

7. renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    Speaking of which, this is usually where people start attacking me for being an Uber "shill" or something similar.

Despite the fact that I said I hate their customer service, and that their base rates are too low for me to drive, I often get attacked because I don't hate Uber enough. :eek:

Being balanced about the pros and cons of Uber and actually liking some things about driving for them is often met with strong disapproval by many around here.

8. Ultimate Warrior

Haha...that's kinda like how I feel but I think I do hate uber enough but I love driving. Now I'm in a quandary :(

9. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

Passengers don't care for surges, and Surge will cause a number of passengers to decline to ride, cancel trips, delay their trips until the Surge subsides or take a bus or a cab.

All of those possible actions cause the Surge to go away.

Shangsta likes this.
  10. Polomarko

Polomarko Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It is amazing that some drivers, even today, cannot get conclude that UBER is a SCAM.
    So why surge should be deferent?

charmer37 likes this.
  11. renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    Every time I've ever gotten a ping from a rider in a surge area, I was paid the surge as indicated on the ping.

Not sure what makes it a scam...

Shangsta likes this.
  12. mikechch

mikechch Active Member

[QUOTE="renbutler, post: 1873406, member: 22155"

The things most people complain about are actually just basic economics. I don't care for the low base rates (I drive only surges and XL on weekends as a result), but I really don't blame Uber for it. If enough people agree to drive at low rates, they would be stupid to pay any more than that.[/QUOTE]

This exactly. Obviously they will pay the least they have to. it's up to drivers to stop driving for pittance.

13. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

No, some of us just understand how Uber is structured and make the system work for us. You should try it.

If you dont like the surge on a ping, ignore it and hope for a higher surge.

renbutler likes this.
  14. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Enjoy the surge, and save screenshots for souvenirs, because self-driving cars are going to eliminate the shortage of drivers.
    instead of raising the fare ( surging) Uber system will send enough cars.

15. Ultimate Warrior

That will probably not be as rosy a situation as uber or the self driving car manufacturers want it to turn it to be. Self driving cars on the road are not similar to driverless trains which run on tracks specifically built for it and there are no obstructions. Driverless cars on the other hand have to contend with cars with drivers, constantly changing traffic conditions, anticipation of other vehicles or the possible habits of other drivers (which experienced drivers sometimes can determine). It's not going to be as smooth as the train on the track. We'll have to wait and see but I suppose after several class action lawsuits, these driverless cars may be put on hold or governments may have to construct separate roads for them. Not to mention the vandalism that can take place within the car. Uber will be spending quite a bit there. There's a video of a driverless bus in China being put on trial. You can see that for the purpose of this trial, a fairly underused roads was chosen for the demo. In actual conditions, traffic is not that kind. You will also see that the start off after the traffic light turned green was slow. Super for safety but in a bumper to bumper jam, this bus is not going to be moving much. Lastly, I feel people want to have a human being to interact with if something happens or when they can anticipate something to happen (like a car accident when in a car). I don't know how others feel but I would like to have a driver to communicate with or perhaps help me if I'm stuck. Similarly, I want to be operated by a human surgeon not a surgeonless theatre. That's just me.

16. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Me too.
    That's exactly what many riders told me, they won't trust a computer to drive them to their destination.

17. tyson.c.

tyson.c. New Member

You have to have pax ordering to get surge. Supply and demand. If no pax were requesting surge wouldnt get that high. THINK ABOUT IT. surge doesn't go from 0 - 9 at one time, so it shouldnt drop at one time. If that were the case, ALL passengers would get picked up at once, or within 2 minutes of each other

18. Ultimate Warrior

This happened to me. I switched my app off and drove to surge area. Turned app on and waited. App started showing surges. Area I was at was above 2. Within seconds I got a ping. Pickup location was within 500m, so I was sure the surge was still that same surge I saw me seconds ago. My noob mistake was not to look at the surge in the ping. After sending the pax home, I got the estimated payout which was just above 1. I'm still sorting this out with uber. I took photos of the surge at that time and showed them the GPS location of the pickup based on my trip detail. They still refuse to pay the difference. How can the surge just drop by half within seconds. And the location I was at was an isolated one. I do believe uber's app is designed to show drivers a higher surge than actual.

19. renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    People tend to fear change. As things evolve, it might become the opposite -- people won't trust other people to drive them.

That change will take a long time.

The problem is how public the change is. Compare it to commercial planes, which pretty much fly themselves anymore. People adapted to this mostly because they have no idea what happens behind a cockpit door, and they weren't really aware that the pilot isn't much more than a failsafe and a friendly voice over the intercom.

Ubercycle likes this.
  20. Ultimate Warrior

Yeap but airlines pay pilots 5 figure salaries nonetheless and there are 2 or 3 of them on-board. A hefty price for a failsafe because people would probably not fly without. :oops: