1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Surge goes from 7× to gone instantly

Discussion in 'Surge' started by Indy Driver, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Indy Driver

Indy Driver New Member

Has anybody else noticed that within the last 6 months surge shows up, you can be in the exact middle of the surge zone and then get multiple request from 20+ minutes away with no surge? I also watched today as I drove downtown, the surge went from 7×(which is the only reason I'm on the road in icy 10° weather) to absolutely nothing instantly. Normally it goes down slowly. Uber tricks drivers into getting online via fake surge. Its deceitful and I just turn my app off and wait. I will not reward them for that. I wish they treated drivers better, at least allow tipping if they're going to screw us on surge, it costs them nothing and makes the difference between this being worth it...

2. DrivingZiggy

DrivingZiggy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Aren't you doing the same thing? I mean, Uber is creating that fake surge. But you're creating that fake dearth. Same thing, no?

3. Indy Driver

Indy Driver New Member

Not even close. Uber doesn't pay me to drive to a "surge" area, but once I'm there they sure are quick to send me requests 20 minutes and 10 miles away back by my house where there is no surge. I would not have left my house if there was no surge. I wouldn't drive on icy roads in 10° weather for a straight rate. Surge had been through the roof for a few days because of the weather we've had. Interstates were closed, planes were grpunded, and people weren't on the roads. I wouldn't have been either without the surge. Riders expect a surge charge with weather like this as they should. Cabs are a 3-4 hour wait and cost more than a high surge charge anyway. So no, not even close to the same thing. Without the surge there wouldn't be aNY drivers on the road and that's exactly why I went home which doesn't profit me or Uber. Bad idea on their part, not the first tI'm and definitely not the last.

Hans GrUber and Black 150 like this.
  4. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

Are you a new driver? Happens all the time.

Drivers closer to those pings are ignoring them so they go to the next driver. Thats why you get those pings, they are trying to get surge too.

The surge probably disappeared because at 7x, no one was ordering. Pax will often wait out a surge that big

Grahamcracker and grams777 like this.
  5. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yeah the majority of people wait it out at that amount , you'll get a few people who just don't care and want to get home no matter what the cost it .

It is kinda weird that you're saying that it was at 7X and then no surge instantly . It usually does drop slowly

Yesterday Denver hit 9X and I didn't get a ping until it dropped to 5X

6. Indy Driver

Indy Driver New Member

I've been driving for Uber for a couple years. I do understand people don't always want to pay the surge and will wait it out. My point is it went from 7× to no surge at all instantly. Normally it slowly drops down from 7 to 5 to 3 etc... I got 3 requests from 20 minutes away with no surge which it's laughable to think I would leave the middle of a 7× surge zone to potentially lose money by driving 20 minutes away to pick somebody up. I usually won't drive over 15 minutes or 7 miles away. I've done it before only to take somebody home from the grocery store 2 minutes from their house. I made less than $2, subtract gas to and from, wear and tear, not even counting my time, and I broke even at best. I probably lost money. It's happened a handful of times so I kind of made guidelines in order to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen.

grams777 likes this.
  7. Shangsta

The surge disappearing immediately is odd for sure. Like Jimmy said it usually decreases gradually.

The long pings are just how the system works. When other drivers are trying to get surge too, the riders in non surge area get ignored and drivers 20 minutes away get pings.

8. renbutler

renbutler Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I'm also in Indy, but I don't see large surges disappear completely.

Sometimes it will seem like it's suddenly gone, but it's just the glitchy app. Zoom in or zoom out to refresh the page.

Hans GrUber and Stupid Loser like this.
  9. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Let's be Claire, if you see 5x Surge on your app in one area or zone, that's an invitation from Uber to you to join that area and the reward is the 5x rate. you can not see surge within 50 mils right? why? because Uber will not count on you to join 50 mils away zone. so we need some kind of guarantees, when my app shows 5x surge, it must said 5x surge will last 20 minutes for example, if i joined the surge zone within 20 minutes, i need to get at least 1 trip at that surge, if not Uber has to pay me for what they promise me.

for long driving pickup, we need to get paid for, i think more than 2 miles / or 10 minutes away pickup need to be included on trip miles and time taken.
    sometimes we drive 4 miles for 0.5 mils trip.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  10. Ultimate Warrior

Ultimate Warrior Active Member

Eyewitnessed my first surge scam yesterday. Don't know how many got by me before I noticed it yesterday. Was at an area where the surge was over 2. Took a photo of it. Within seconds, the ping came. I readily accepted it only to find out after the trip calculation that the surge was just above 1. Uber is giving their usual bs about the fare calculation was correct. I've learned a few things from that experience.
    1. Always take a photo of the surge values. Better still if you can take a video.
    2. Look at the details of the ping very carefully. It shows the surge value, uber type and pax rating. From now on, if the surge in ping is lower than the one shown on the app area, I'm ignoring that ping.
    3. I'm also ignoring cheapskates who wanna ping for pool when the surge goes up. If they don't wanna pay when demand is high, then just wait for a bloody cab. It's really a shame that uber scams its drivers over pax.

11. renbutler

renbutler Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Actually, the surge map is slightly delayed.

#2 is the only thing that matters. Whatever they show on the ping screen is the real surge. If it's too low, don't accept it.

12. Shangsta

Surge isnt meant to encourage drivers to drive to the area. Its to encourage drivers in the area to go online.

Be careful with that. Its easy to completely miss a surge hoping for the rate to rise and then the surge disappears completely. I can tell if the surge is building or plateauing and will take a ride or keep waiting accordingly.

13. Ultimate Warrior

But isn't that what uber tells drivers to do indirectly? Surge means there's more demand than supply and uber wants to meet the supply hence the surge. No?

Ubercycle likes this.
  14. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Uber shows you what they want you to see, you can see when it surging in Phoenixville ( 30 miles away from Philadelphia ) while you can not see the airport queue, which is only 9 miles from Philly.
    They can hide surge data from you if you're not concerned.

15. Ultimate Warrior

Yes I've learned this. But the beef I have is not about this. It's the fact that I'm at the surge area. It says one figure. I switch my app online. The surge value remains. The ping comes in within seconds and the area is within that same surge area but the surge value in the ping is half the value shown in the app. That's what I call outright dishonesty. Has anyone sued uber for this? I've heard there is a class action suit going on. I'm curious to at least read about it - not declaring that I'm ready to join in.

16. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Their excuse will be "system glitch".

17. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The fact is, Uber is making more money without surge.
    and high fares is not good for growing company.

18. Ultimate Warrior

Is there a way to reveal their deceit (to the drivers)?

19. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    you are independent contractor, so they pay you for the work you performed.
    you have the right to discuss the gain and expenses, and accept or reject the job.

Uber has customers, need rides, available drivers are not enough, Uber can not force them to go online or even drive because they are not employees, so they Use surge as Lure to drive.
    Uber pays guarantee hours and x2 fare out of pocket( riders pay regular fare) for certain drivers, to build customer loyalty, Uber is investing money on robocars to secure their business, they can not count on independent drivers.
    Do you think you can compete as a driver with Uber self-driving cars?
    drivers don't cost Uber any money, on the other hand, self-driving cars cost a lot of money, so robocars must receive more requests than human driver to cover the daily cost....

20. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It's not just the surge, Uber misses with drivers, trip matching option too, it happened to me 3 times, i had a request, 2 minutes away to pick up the rider, when Uber switched my rider with another driver and replaced him with a new rider 9 minutes away.

tyson.c. likes this.