Surge fees w/o notifications

Anyone else charged surge fees without being notified?

• Yes. Uber refunded me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but I did not contact uber about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Octeacher

Hi everyone! I wonder if you can help me understand the surges from a driver’s perspective.
I had a ride from San Diego airport to Irvine that charged me a surge fee of $408.50 Yep a 400+ dollar surge. When I accepted the quoted range of fairs it said 85-125. I WAS NOT TOLD THERE WAS A SURGE IN THE APP!!! How did you know it was surging? In the past the app would tell it was surging when I plug in my destination It was not surging.
Drivers out there maybe you can help me with my dispute?
.I think there was an error due to having 2 drivers.

My original driver put my suitcase in his car then asked me where Irvine is. He apparently didn’t realize it was in OC. He told me he couldn’t get back to SD in time to be with his kids and asked if he could cancel. Totally get it and said no problem. When I asked if I should request a new ride he said his cancellation (or his declining the ride) would automatically find a new driver. A few minutes later I had a new driver. During the ride he said he thought it was surging because it was earlier. I told him I didn’t see it when i accepted the price range for my fare. In hindsight I wonder what showed up In the driver app. Is it possible that the 2nd driver created a 5x surge but my first driver did not do that? I did not get a new surge notification in the app.

It’s a nightmare dealing with “help” from Uber! I even spoke to an attorney because uber rejected my refund saying “We understand this is more than you were expecting to pay but we can not adjust your charge or refund you.”
At least 10 emails to explain and requesting to speak with me directly. They never addressed my questions and even ignored my request to show me the contract, which is required by law. They simply do believe me that the app never showed me a surge!
My attorney and I looked into arbitration but decided to dispute the surge fee with AMEX. AMEX told me I should email Uber to tell them about the dispute because they sometimes offer more support with customer service. Sure enough I got an email saying that a new department will take over helping me. Now they will work with me??? Grrrrr. I’ll keep you posted....

ANT 7

It does tell you there is a surge in the pax app. It always has for the 4 years I have been using Uber. "Prices may be higher due to demand"...........is the text you will see when your trip pricing is displayed.

We cannot create surges (increased demand) per say.

Now, having said all that, the driver's in some select test markets as of a few weeks ago can now set their own fares however. For example, they can set 2.0 X (or whatever) the regular fare, and the app will only give them trips from pax who seen and HAVE ACCEPTED said fare in principle.

If they sent you a driver who has set his own rates at a level higher than your previous trip price, that is a software fix IMHO..........and as we do not have this feature in our market, I cannot speak from experience. Try posting this in the regional San Diego forums here for a better answer.

As for AMEX, I have one of those too. Call them back again and make sure that they file have filed the dispute (your writing tells me they did not, but I could be wrong) and reverse the charge while they investigate. Send them the useless email merry go round you had with Uber "support" as proof.

I have also heard here that hitting them up on Twitter seems to work really well.

Good luck !!

Last edited:

25rides7daysaweek

Hi everyone! I wonder if you can help me understand the surges from a driver’s perspective.
I had a ride from San Diego airport to Irvine that charged me a surge fee of $408.50 Yep a 400+ dollar surge. When I accepted the quoted range of fairs it said 85-125. I WAS NOT TOLD THERE WAS A SURGE IN THE APP!!! How did you know it was surging? In the past the app would tell it was surging when I plug in my destination It was not surging.
Drivers out there maybe you can help me with my dispute? .I think there was an error due to having 2 drivers.

My original driver put my suitcase in his car then asked me where Irvine is. He apparently didn’t realize it was in OC. He told me he couldn’t get back to SD in time to be with his kids and asked if he could cancel. Totally get it and said no problem. When I asked if I should request a new ride he said his cancellation (or his declining the ride) would automatically find a new driver. A few minutes later I had a new driver. During the ride he said he thought it was surging because it was earlier. I told him I didn’t see it when i accepted the price range for my fare. In hindsight I wonder what showed up In the driver app. Is it possible that the 2nd driver created a 5x surge but my first driver did not do that? I did not get a new surge notification in the app.

It’s a nightmare dealing with “help” from Uber! I even spoke to an attorney because uber rejected my refund saying “We understand this is more than you were expecting to pay but we can not adjust your charge or refund you.”
At least 10 emails to explain and requesting to speak with me directly. They never addressed my questions and even ignored my request to show me the contract, which is required by law. They simply do believe me that the app never showed me a surge!
My attorney and I looked into arbitration but decided to dispute the surge fee with AMEX. AMEX told me I should email Uber to tell them about the dispute because they sometimes offer more support with customer service. Sure enough I got an email saying that a new department will take over helping me. Now they will work with me??? Grrrrr. I’ll keep you posted....
If you dont pay your bill
uber may deactivate you.....

Tony73

They way these disputes normally go is, you’ll get your money back but will lose access to the service. It’s the best way to prevent fraudulent behavior.

mrpjfresh

The original driver fibbed, at least a little. He did not want to do the 1hour+ trip to Irvine, maybe get caught in traffic, possibly deadhead back empty all for $60-90. Did he really have to pick up/see his kids at a certain time? Maybe, maybe not. It is a common excuse because most veteran drivers do not refuse trips because of destination or bad pay because that can get one in trouble with Uber. Please understand, what you pay is NOT what your driver receives. In California, they only take a certain percentage (maybe like 27% or so) unlike in the rest of the country where Uber can take between 40-60%. This driver was not the sharpest though because in California, all drivers are supposed to receive the destination and approximate pay in advance so either he had buyer's remorse after accepting the trip or just accepted really quickly without even looking at the destination.

What happened in regards to the cancellation is where the driver really told you misinformation, whether on purpose or just because he really is that ignorant. Uber will automatically find you a new driver at the quoted price if and only if your driver cancels before starting the trip. It sounds to me like this bozo started the trip, didn't even know where Irvine was (lol) and then cancelled. Check and see. You may even have paid this first driver a cancellation fee! When you requested your second driver, the original quote was null and void and it is an entirely new booking. Did they start searching automatically or did you have to request a new trip? You may have simply not noticed. San Diego drivers are now able to set their own surge multipliers so they are only doing trips which they are feel are worthwhile. A trip to Irvine from San Diego on a 4x surge certainly qualifies (in my book).

You are certainly able to stop payment but as 25rides ^ said, Uber will quickly deactivate you. They do not like people messing with their money. The good news is you should be able to create a new account using gift card and fake name probably. As to actually helping with Uber, you are on your own unfortunately. Trying to deal with their support - as a passenger or driver - is an absolute nightmare.

SHalester

It is very possible the 2nd driver wasn't being totally honest. And yes, drivers in Calif can create their own surge; not sure if it has rolled out to ALL Calif drivers, tho. And if the driver did create a surge, you would have been presented with a dialog box that stated that and it would have forced you to agree (or not). Little doubt Uber would have the proof, if indeed, that occurred.

Have you viewed 'Your Trips' and the receipt via the customer app? Can you up screen shot (blank out personal items) and post here? That would be helpful.

Amex won't mess around. If you gave them enough documents the charge will be reversed. While Amex is investigating the charge will be put back to 'pending' (no interest charge if you use Optima etc). And if Amex yanks back the $$ quite possible Uber's feelings will be hurt and they nuke your Uber account.

Good luck.

CarpeNoctem

Maybe the second driver had been in a surge area and had a surge stick? Would that notify the rider of the (previous) surge?

Don't you know that driver was seeing pinwheels when he got a long distance ride with a stuck surge?

ariel5466

Maybe the second driver had been in a surge area and had a surge stick? Would that notify the rider of the (previous) surge?

Don't you know that driver was seeing pinwheels when he got a long distance ride with a stuck surge?

Customers don't get charged for stickie surges. Uber often goes in the negative, that's why stickies are so awesome.

The Gift of Fish

Drivers out there maybe you can help me with my dispute? .I think there was an error due to having 2 drivers.

But, did you tip?